Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the average age of a hat owner

stylin

Familiar Face
Wear and wear well....

I'm 32 and appear to be 24 years old. I say wear it if YOU like. Here's an old proverb to live buy...

"Happy is the man who is himself, miserable is the man pretending to be happy pretending to be someone else."

Live life for you. It's the only one you can live at one time anyhow.

Stand proud...wear your head on your shoulders even prouder.

REDKNIGHT1775

New in Town
I'm 24, I think Hats are making a slow come back, as is wearing more formal clothing in general. Hope it catches on with more people, but doesn't turn into a main stream fashion trend...

RyFranzese24

Familiar Face
I got my first fedora when I was nine. I was hooked. I am 18 now and can't think of a better way to spend my paychecks. That, and DVD's, I guess...

Mad Molly

New in Town
Hey there, Hat Fans!

Tony in Tarzana said:
This is as good a place as any to de-lurk and make my first post. Hi everybody! Great site!

I'm 45, but I first started wearing my Dad's beat up old fedora back in high school, age 16 or so. I've had a few different fedoras since then, albeit cheap ones. I finally took the plunge and bought myself my first half-decent fur felt fedoras just before Christmas of last year, two Stetson Chathams, one in "Caribou" (grey) and one black.

Back in high school, I was the fat kid who got picked on, but when I started wearing the hat and defining my own style, I seemed to get more respect. Or perhaps I gained confidence and just ignored what the jerks thought.

I've been doing that ever since. ;)

Hi there, Tony! :) :) Thanks for turning me on to this place, and thanks for sharing the story of your penchant for da hats!

Greets to all! I'm 44 years old and just love headgear! I don't have a chance to wear it as often as I like - would look pretty silly if I plonked on my imitation leopard-skin pillbox to vacuum the living room or drop off my rent check.

But when I have the chance...so much fun. I have Dutch hair - thin and fine. Amazing how much a chapeau can do to make even limp hippie hair look gussy.

I also love retro style. My oldest sister is a clothes horse, she has collected so many goodies over the years starting from her time as a good-time glitter rock gal in Hollywood back in the 1970s. (Who remembers the fashions of that particular genre of the era? Mostly throwbacks to the 1940s, much in the way the 1960s styles were in some respects a throwback to the 1920s.)

I always enjoyed as a pre-to-young teen back then watching Sister preen herself in her fine feathers and fangirl warpaint. :D The gal had it going on, she had and still has a tremendous sense of style.

Looking forward to meandering around here and vicariously enjoying everyone's goodies! ;)

221b

Familiar Face
I'm 27. I've been wearing a hat now for 3 years. Wear your hat with pride!
I don't want to "fit in" with all the slobs my age! Skater shoes, Dickies shorts, Famous shirts, Baseball hat sideways, peircings everywhere.:rage:

S

Samsa

qwerty said:
The question is simple. How old should you be to start wearing a fedora?
I am 22 and people always tell me: Take that hat off, you are too young for it.
Is there such thing as being too young for a fedora?

I just started at 23, and so far no one has said anything negative. (I suppose there's a first time for everything, though.)

Anyway, I don't think 22 is too young. This is especially true considering some of the weirder "fashion statements" (I'm not saying that's what you're trying to do) that our generation seems inclined to. A few years from now you can hang up your hat if you decide it's not for you. If, on the other hand, you decided to get a full-body tribal tattoo, you would not have the same options.

I think a hat is a perfectly practical, fashionable choice for anyone who cares to wear one. At any rate, it's nobody else's business what you wear.

Unless, I suppose, you chose to wander around nude.

Jake Sullivan

One of the Regulars
I started at 31. Well stratch that I had a straw fedora and a bamboo can for my eighth grade graduation. Welcome to all newcomers ( Molly and Qwerty)
I had a 16 year old young man run across the park where I had taken my six year old to play and say and I quote: " Wher did you get that cool hat I gotta have one ya know the eighties style is coming back and I want to impress my girlfriend". I smiled at the eighties comment and informed him that these hats were around in the twenties and thirties. He was dumbstruck.

He did ask for the website. My how times have changed ask for the website instead of the store location.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was twenty-five

but I was used to comments from Joe Squaresville because I'd been into Rockabilly for 10 years before that. As many people have pointed out in the Lounge, a guy tends to get far more compliments about his lid than he does disparaging remarks.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Hey,they put caps on newborns now, so there is the first hat (cap).

When I left San Diego last fall, I gave away a wool "Dakota" fedora (think it was an Eddie Bauer hat) to a 10-year old boy who was absolutely stoked to get it. You are never too young.

As for me, whatever is the average or appropriate age to start wearing one, I am well above it.

karol

Fortino37

Familiar Face
Long time using fedora

I start using fedora since 1990, I was 19, my real friends never complain about that, but was not easy at the begining, had to hear negative arguments about my look , my mother once offered me $100.00 dlls for stop using hats, she says that I look old, but nothig works, now I am 35 and never leave home with out a hat.

A big SALUDO from Mexico

Fortino37

Bargepole

New in Town
johnnycanuck said:
Just remember, if you love it, let it go. if it comes back it was meant to be.

Or to put it another way :eek:fftopic: :

"If you love it, let it go. If it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it."

--Cynthia Heimel.

Fortino37

Familiar Face
Part of my collection

These are some of the hats I own.

normal_StetsonWhippet40_s2.jpg

This is a Stetson Whippet

normal_StetsonStRegis50_s1.jpg

Stetson St. Regis

normal_StetsonPlayboy2.jpg

A Royal Stetson Playboy

normal_StetsonOpenroad2.jpg

Royal Stetson Open Road

normal_StetsonNutria2.jpg

Stetson Nutria

normal_Stetsonian.jpg

Royal Stetson Stetsonian

normal_MallorySportabout2.jpg

Mallory Sportabout

normal_DobbsTwenty2.jpg

One of my favorites a Dobbs Twenty

normal_DobbsHamburgo1C.jpg

Dobbs15

normal_LeeHomburgo40_s3.jpg

Lee Homburg

These are a few of my lids, I made my self some restoration when need it, like sweatband replacement, linen or ribbon change, I try to use them all, I never leave home without a hat. And try to fallow the protocol when I wear them.

Saludos from Mexicali

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo