Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Is There Left To Invent?

RIOT

Practically Family
Back from my MOUT exercise in VA, these are the things I need stat!

A way to keep the liquid in your hydration carrier cold at all times.
Better, stronger, and most especially lighter body armor.
A way to put a cooling system in your RAID DCU's and velcro is god in combat!
Unlimited ammo in mags made lighter
Turbofans in your ESS Profile goggles that actually work and prevents fogging.

However I would like to praise EOTech for creating the 553 NVG and Magpul I worship you!

Invent me a teleporter to the Polynesian island of Bora-Bora right now and I would be a happy camper.

Sorry just tired, sore and cranky from the heat. That's all.

warbird

One Too Many
We have gone from knowledge doubling every 25 years 150 years ago to every 7 yrs by the late 70's, to every 5, 8 yrs ago, to every 3 now. We may not even be able to comprehend what inventions the future may hold.

The increasing use of bio nano technology will usher in the next great wave of technology. Someone mentioned body armor for instance. They are currently working on body armor whic is not only lighter and tougher, but with the use of neno technology can heal itself from damage.

I also predict the advancement of several firearm systems for handheld use which will completely change that industry. For centuries, we have used the same basic theme in firearms. We may se something which does away completely with bullets and cartridges altogether.

RIOT

Practically Family
warbird said:
The increasing use of bio nano technology will usher in the next great wave of technology. Someone mentioned body armor for instance. They are currently working on body armor whic is not only lighter and tougher, but with the use of neno technology can heal itself from damage.

If you are talking about Dragon Skin, I have mix feelings about it, but best not to talk about it here. It's nice to have a self damage fixing body armor with the help of nano technology, but if this could do the same to the human body then that would even be more of a miracle.

warbird

One Too Many
RIOT said:
If you are talking about Dragon Skin, I have mix feelings about it, but best not to talk about it here. It's nice to have a self damage fixing body armor with the help of nano technology, but if this could do the same to the human body then that would even be more of a miracle.

Well it may now be far off.

Bebop

Practically Family
MudInYerEye said:
An artificial flesh and blood victim that one can pillage, plunder, maim, or kill with no legal consequences or ramifications.

Legal consequences and ramifications seem to be the only reason you are not a pillaging, plundering, maiming, murderer? That or you really miss the Sopranos. lol

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Both debilitating sonic and ultraviolet laser weapons have been tested to some effect in recent years, Tony. There has also been a much-touted focused microwave device mentioned recently, which uses maser technology (amplified microwaves just as a laser utilises the visible light range within the electromagnetic sprectrum) to heat the water stored in the body fat just underneath your skin. The results, while apparently outwardly harmless, makes the recipient feel as though they are on fire, and is thus immediately debilitating.

There is no doubt this is better than taking a bullet, but the ethics and humaneness of wielding such weapons has yet to be debated properly.

Benny just scored the worrying point about such directed-energy weapons. With a .45, you know pulling that trigger has a high chance of a kill and are thus going to think before deploying it (assuming you're a responsible weapons-carrier); with these DEW's, there is a risk of an attitude being adopted of "no permanent harm, it'll pass", thus potentially making carriers a little more triggerhappy. (This effect manifested itself with Tasers, which is in turn what pointed out ho dangerous they can be.)

Twitch

I hear they are actually working on this- a pointable device that completely fries the electrics in any vehicle rendering in dead- an end to stupid crook car chases.:eusa_doh:

ShortClara

One Too Many
Two big ones for me:

Someone already mentioned a Teleporter. It needs to be inexpensive enough for all to use. I have family far away and it sure would be nice to see them more! And to go to Bora Bora. That'd be OK too.

A personal safety device which would render an attacker harmless with a push of a button, but that could not be used on a victim to render them defenseless. Not sure how that would work, but hey, I'm an artist not an inventor :)

oh! one more silly one

A personal hair growing/ color changing machine. Like that Barbie who could have short hair one minute and long hair the next.

BegintheBeguine

lol My sister insisted I had a knob in my back like Crissy doll, my hair grew so quickly.
The push-button thing could work by picking up on the bad person's evil vibes and the victim's sense of fear . lol
I want something that could clip my dogs' claws without freaking anyone out. 3 out of my 4 pugs hate it and develop superdog strength when we (yes, 2 people) try to clip their claws. I end up scratched and upset, they end up unclipped and upset.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Realistically speaking, I think that we are not in a time when new things need to be invented, but revisions of said things need to be invented. Cars, layouts for homes and communities, use of products and their consumption of energy, peoples thinking, etc etc.

My two cents.

LD

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
See...the problem with teleporters....

is that -everyone- would have access to them. Do we really want to overrun the lovely places on the planet with -more- tourists who come to stay for a day and treat it like a giant fake toy place for their enjoyment?

There would be no 'would you respect things' test....

Haversack

One Too Many
A couple of other problems with cheap, wide-spread use of teleportation has been explored in a variety of short story science fiction. Larry Niven wrote _Flash Crowd_ back in 1973. When some event happened, thousands of people would port in to view, gawk, and rubberneck. It eventually evolved that there was a permenent mob that continually 'ported to where ever news was breaking and create chaos.

The other problem with teleportation is that infrastructure will fail. Perhaps not often, but it will. Consider what happens to people involved in 'porting when it does...

Haversack.

Haversack

One Too Many
The social consequences of inventions is a topic which has always fascinated me. Consider the effect the automobile has had on our cities and landscape. One hypothetical device that would open an entire warehouse of canned worms would be Time Televison. Not the future. Only the past. Just sound and sight. But with the ability to control time, location, and vary the viewing angle. Consider the consequences...

No more privacy. Neither personal, corporate, nor governmental.

The effect on crime, court cases, and lawyers.

Religion: What really did happen at Golgotha, Mt Sinai, the Ka'aba, usw.

Hollywood might have a bit of a problem until people realized that in real life, most people aren't that entertaining.

Of course it would create all sorts of employment for scholars of languages, both living and dead.

Haversack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy