Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What IS this? (Civil War Era)

I'm tempted to say it looks like a privately-purchased ID tag (there was a good explanation in season one of Mail Call, which made the "Best Of" DVD), but can't really present myself as authoritative. Can you give us size or any other information to help refine the effort?

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Looks like a stencil to me as well, especially since it appears that ink was applied overtop the cut-out signature.

The oddity is the decorative border. Looks like the decorative tin they used to use to frame photos in hinged cases, such as ones done in the daguerrotype photo process. Hmmmm. Also, each frame of those is approximately that size.

See this link to see what I mean:
http://www.stereoviews.com/dagstins.html

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
RetroToday said:
Looks like a stencil to me as well, especially since it appears that ink was applied overtop the cut-out signature.

The oddity is the decorative border. Looks like the decorative tin they used to use to frame photos in hinged cases, such as ones done in the daguerrotype photo process. Hmmmm. Also, each frame of those is approximately that size.

See this link to see what I mean:
http://www.stereoviews.com/dagstins.html

Yes, it looks like it could be maybe a nameplate that fit into one of those.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
PrettySquareGal said:
But again, I do see where it looks like ink was applied.

See I think the -frame- thing is just to protect the more fragile stencil from bending when not in actual use....

You would have to slide the actual stencil out in order to put it on the item to be 'marked'....

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Miss Neecerie said:
See I think the -frame- thing is just to protect the more fragile stencil from bending when not in actual use....

You would have to slide the actual stencil out in order to put it on the item to be 'marked'....

Yes, yes...and I am really seeing an ink roll going back and forth over it where the black markings are...

I wonder what was stenciled?? Maybe his uniform on the inside??

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
The verdict, from Collector Guy:

"A stencil for the back of a photograph you silly."

:)

So, in other words, every time a photograph was taken of this fellow, he would engrave his name on the back with this stencil?

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
But that's not as glamorous as it being an early dog tag! :rolleyes: I can see it being used that way, too! Kind of like a temporary ink tat.

But it's definitely a stencil I now know.

Thank you. :)

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
PrettySquareGal said:
But that's not as glamorous as it being an early dog tag!

It is to a photographer! :D

When I saw the ink stains in the larger image, and then learned it's diminutive size, I was certain that it was a stencil for inking. Makes sense, too, that with the way it's mounted that it'd belong to photographer.

Lee

Olan Mills, your grandfather is on the phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24