Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
looks like what some retailers call the diplomat but with the back end flipped up...think of it as a ski cap with the back end rolled onto itself.

unless its stiffer than i think; in which case i dont know what you would call this

* so i just checked this. i stand corrected and am revising my remarks.

http://millerhats.com/fur_hats/furhats12.html
that is the diplomat or cossack style...similar but not congruent

Last edited:

HeyMoe

Practically Family
When my grandmother passed 5 years ago, we tossed a number of these (my grandfathers) away. Even in person they looked odd. Most of his also had earflaps that were tucked into the hat. I should have kept them, but I guess hind sight is always 20/20

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
WOOKIE! No, really a diplomat or Persian lamb. Moe Karzai wears similar.

President_hamid-karzai.jpg

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Probably a Borsalino, because it's most likely he would've bought a modern production hat (as opposed to custom), and that one doesn't necessarily look vintage to me; and Borsalino goes for the wide brims more than other men's dress hats. Plus, it's tapered like a Borsalino. Maybe Meyser also, but their distribution in the U.S. is much more limited.

mike2013

New in Town
unidentified hat

hey guys this hat was in my great grandfathers attic , it is very rough, with dirt dobbers nest on it. etc but it was his none the less, i trying to find out what brand it is, it has an airplane inside, and the name david natley on the leather band, any help would be greatly apreciated thanks mike

SanV

New in Town
Please help to identify two Borsalinos

Dear all,

This is my first post to this highly informative forum. I have just bought the two vintage Borsalino hats in the picture (black hat in top row, dark grey in bottom row). They are in quite good shape and both seem to have been produced for the German market. From the details in the pictures, can anyone estimate the production date? Any other information would be welcome too.

Thank you,

SanV.

(alternative link to picture at www.flickr.com/photos/29526859@N04/12073614706/)

hats.jpg

lordwinters

Familiar Face
Identifying a hat!

Hi!
I am new to the forum but I do own a couple of hats, one of which is far too small for me that has been in the house for as long as I can remember. It probably belonged to my grandfather or something like that.
I have no real idea of what it is, how old it can be, and if it has any value. Since it is far too small, and I mean FAR, the thought crossed my mind that someone else might be interested in it. It's a size 58.

12088471354_498f1c5367_b.jpg

It's a fedora, as far as my untrained eye can see. Snap brim, but it's kind of hard to make the front stay down once snapped down. The hat was a little wet in the picture, after I tried to make said brim stay down. :D

12088768236_f506757835_b.jpg

From the side. It looks to be out of wool, as far as I can see, but then again I am not what you would call an expert! The texture is kind of fuzzy.
And the lining!

12088425843_8d8a2bd8be_b.jpg

Strong hat, any idea of what that is? Is it some kind of brand or is it just some kind of observation of a fact? The seller A. Andersson no longer exists, and I have failed to find any records of the place.
I don't know the age of this hat at all, but it doesn't feel particularly old, and neither does it look that way. But anybody who might have an idea of what it is, is welcome to reply!
Thanks!
Richard

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Flickr want's you to show the image on their page, so they don't directly supply you with the URL of the image. Instead you can click on the icon in the lower right corner like this:

Flickr.jpg

You'll have to copy all the revealed text in the box, when you click "Grab the HTML/BBCode". Then you extract this bit "
url][B]
" - and paste in where you want to show the image:

12088471354_498f1c5367.jpg

lordwinters

Familiar Face
Hi!
I am new to the forum but I do own a couple of hats, one of which is far too small for me that has been in the house for as long as I can remember. It probably belonged to my grandfather or something like that.
I have no real idea of what it is, how old it can be, and if it has any value. Since it is far too small, and I mean FAR, the thought crossed my mind that someone else might be interested in it. It's a size 58.

12088471354_498f1c5367_b.jpg

It's a fedora, as far as my untrained eye can see. Snap brim, but it's kind of hard to make the front stay down once snapped down. The hat was a little wet in the picture, after I tried to make said brim stay down. :D

12088768236_f506757835_b.jpg

From the side. It looks to be out of wool, as far as I can see, but then again I am not what you would call an expert! The texture is kind of fuzzy.
And the lining!

12088425843_8d8a2bd8be_b.jpg

Strong hat, any idea of what that is? Is it some kind of brand or is it just some kind of observation of a fact? The seller A. Andersson no longer exists, and I have failed to find any records of the place.
I don't know the age of this hat at all, but it doesn't feel particularly old, and neither does it look that way. But anybody who might have an idea of what it is, is welcome to reply!
Thanks!
Richard

HUZZAH!

Thanks for the help danish!

Joe Newberry

New in Town
Vintage Stetson hat

My father purchased a Stetson in the 50s that was bigger than an Open Road, and I can't find out the model. Here is a link to a photo of him wearing it. Any help or advice would be appreciated. And if anyone knows if they are still being made, that would be great to know.

fedoracentric

Banned
Sort of doesn't look like there is any ribbon bound brim edge on that hat, but I can't say for sure. It sort of reminds me of a regular dress-styled western. But the OR is pretty much that sized brim, too, so it could be an OR if there is brim binding on it (which, as I said, my eyes aren't good enough to determine). As to getting one, depending on your head size--if you have a smaller size (say 7-1/4 or under) I'd keep any eye on ebay and buy a vintage one as new ones just won't have that same character.

Joe Newberry

New in Town
Sort of doesn't look like there is any ribbon bound brim edge on that hat, but I can't say for sure. It sort of reminds me of a regular dress-styled western. But the OR is pretty much that sized brim, too, so it could be an OR if there is brim binding on it (which, as I said, my eyes aren't good enough to determine). As to getting one, depending on your head size--if you have a smaller size (say 7-1/4 or under) I'd keep any eye on ebay and buy a vintage one as new ones just won't have that same character.

Thanks so much. I can't remember if it had a ribbon bound edge, but your reply is very helpful. Much obliged.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21