Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is this?

SMCK

New in Town
Bat masterson?

I know this is a fedora site; however I have just read James Powers post of 6.30.04, where he says he is drawn to Bat masterson type bowlers. I find myself similarly drawn to a hat that I cant see myself ever wearing.I have never actually seen this hat on someones head, and wonder if someone could post a pic of it actually being worn to see what it looks like? so I hope that someone can manage to post a pic of this hat.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
jamespowers said:
I know what you mean about the differences. For some reason I am drawn to the Batt Masterson type bowlers but I like to be as different as possible. :p They have a high crown and a wide (2 1/2" - 3") brim.
That also brings up the myth of the cowboy hat. You watch a western today and you see a sea of cowboy hats. That was not at all like reality. You should actualy see a sea of bowlers, homburgs, tophats and sombrero like hats. Check out the famous picture of Billy the Kid. What is he wearing? ;)

Regards to all,

J

This is my Great Great Grandfather (on the right) and a couple of unknowns. No Derby, but not the style hat as seen in most westerns today.

Q006.jpg

stuartmckeever said:
I know this is a fedora site; however I have just read James Powers post of 6.30.04, where he says he is drawn to Bat masterson type bowlers. I find myself similarly drawn to a hat that I cant see myself ever wearing.I have never actually seen this hat on someones head, and wonder if someone could post a pic of it actually being worn to see what it looks like? so I hope that someone can manage to post a pic of this hat.

I am away from the collection at the moment but I will try to get a picture of it this evening. I do wear it once in a while. No one even Bats an eyelash when I do. :p

Regards,

J

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bud, that photo is fanstastic

Do you know what year it was taken? Perhaps the 1870's or 1880's? What a great family history. And look at your Great-Grandfather's boots and trousers!
That's a real family treasure right there.

Arctichighlandr

New in Town
Homburg or Derby?

"I'm not sure if this is a Derby or an open crown Homburg. Looks like a homburg to me."

According to the book 'Hat Talk' the soft felt Alpine hat is the ancestor of the modern Homburg/Fedora/Trilby. The difference between a Homburg and a Derby is not its shape but its soft felt verses the Derby's hard shellac felt.

There were hundreds of variations in styles of the Derby - in how tall or short and a wide variety of lengths and shapes of the brim. I don't know if they ever made a Derby with a crease in the top (exceedingly rare if so) but Homburg's being soft could be worn with or without a crease and were made in a variety of styles that are similar to Derby styles. Both (along w/the top hat) generally had the ribbon-bound rolled brim edge - but some did not have the rolled brim. Even in the 1940's when the Homburg began to be seen as a "formal" hat and was made of a stiffer felt it was not as stiff as a Derby.

The Homburg gradually replaced the Derby as the popular hat because it was more comfortable then the hard Derby (unless the Derby was a perfect fit). It was largely a result a shellac shortage during WWI which created a shortage of the hard Derby's. People found the available softer hats more to their liking and less formality in dress became more acceptable following the war.

So a picture isn't a reliable way to distinguish between the two hat types if all it shows is the open crown. If I had to guess I'd guess it's a Homburg but without feeling the felt there is no way to know for sure.

SMCK

New in Town
Bat Masterson photo?

Very intresting thread, but still hoping that someone might post photo of this hat on someones head. Thanks for yours Bud and RBH in a diffirent thread, great photos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn