Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is this?

phebus

One of the Regulars
My Father gave this to me last night along with a tie bar.
He didn't know what it was and I can't figure it out either.

Can someone explain this to me??

B3FF1F7B-A294-4477-AEF3-AA707AFC52DD.jpg

brendond

New in Town
My Father gave this to me last night along with a tie bar.
He didn't know what it was and I can't figure it out either.

Can someone explain this to me??

B3FF1F7B-A294-4477-AEF3-AA707AFC52DD.jpg

Its a collar bar you attach between two collar points under a tie type in collar bar or collar pin to google for pics or youtube for vids .

Indeed. It appears to be a collar bar, some sort of clip on type as opposed to the straight pin through type. I can remember some dress shirts in the 80s being made with little grommet holes in the tips of the collar points to accomodate one of these.
ezezymeq.jpg

Fred here is wearing one of the pin thru variety

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
It is indeed, a collar-bar. I've got some of that exact style in my jewellery box. they're worn in the manner as shown in the photograph in dh66's post.

DamianM

Vendor
Its a collar bar. I wear one all the time. It is meant to prevent your collar from going wild and keep it nice and neat.

Am I wrong, or do collar-bars/pins really only work with spearpoint collars? Or can you use them with spread collars as well?

I think you can use them with any kind of collar they will reach across. Collars in the 80s were usually fairly to very short, and as Kaiser pointed out, they were quite popular then. They were quite the accessory in demand to go with your square bottomed knit tie.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Its a collar bar.......It is meant to prevent your collar from going wild and keep it nice and neat.
While it does result in keeping the points in place (as do stays/bones) the main purpose of collar pins/bars (as well as snap/button tab collars) is to push the tie out away from the collar stand to create an 'arch' effect. The knot needs to be kept tightly tied and fixed in place to achieve and maintain the 'arch' and the pin/bar/tab accomplishes this.

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
Am I wrong, or do collar-bars/pins really only work with spearpoint collars? Or can you use them with spread collars as well?

It would be physically possible, depending upon the width of the spread but aesthetically might not work so well. I fairly seldom wear mine simply because my wardrobe is dominated by spread collar shirts and I felt my essays into collar bar wearing with these didn't quite come off.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Phebus:

Be careful when you put it on. I had one of my bars come off unexpectedly, once. I nearly lost it as a result.

Sorry Anthony, I didn't notice your posting there...

Yeah that was my concern. Some spreads are so wide that it's surely not feasible. But if the spreads are fairly moderate, then I reckon it would be possible, and wouldn't spoil the look.

Last edited:

Nobert

Practically Family
I almost always wear a collar bar except with button-own shirts, and short, wide-spread collars do present a problem, in terms of the thing coming unclipped on one side. They also tend to look like a priest's collar with a necktie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy