Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite aircraft of all time?

/|\

One of the Regulars
They'll burn as much fuel as necessary to complete the mission. But the more fuel you burn just getting into the air, the less you have to complete the mission. You might leave ordnance behind and have enough fuel to get to your target and back, but then you have a smaller payload to drop on the enemy. This is somewhat alleviated with in-air refueling. However insufficient fuel may be a factor in a tactical situation. My ex-fiancée was a Black Hawk pilot during the Gulf War. On one mission they landed with 60 pounds of fuel. (Or maybe less; I don't remember.) You can never have too much fuel -- unless you're on fire. ;)

cco23i

A-List Customer
Thanks for the info gentlemen. One other silly question: since when does the US military get too concerned about fuel burn? lol

Believe it or not, we removed a bunch of needed equipment from our airplanes to "improve fuel economy" because the Air Force "did a study". Well, a year after we removed it all and a ton of headaches later they had us put the stuff back on.

Scott

HepKitty

One Too Many
ex-fiancée was a Black Hawk pilot during the Gulf War

She's my hero

Believe it or not, we removed a bunch of needed equipment from our airplanes to "improve fuel economy" because the Air Force "did a study". Well, a year after we removed it all and a ton of headaches later they had us put the stuff back on.

Scott

Sounds like a huge pain and a waste of time, especially if the quoted terms are meant sarcastically ;)

HK, some discussion on Project Infiltrator can be found back on post 215 and a couple more in that range...
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...ft-of-all-time&p=514361&viewfull=1#post514361

The nuke-plant got added a couple months after that discussion, and it would have to wait until either "hot" or "cold" fusion becomes usable tech... especially given the power requirements for the point-defense lasers and active-camouflage system.

Last edited:

Aristaeus

A-List Customer
Junkers Ju-87B "Stuka" Dive Bomber

Mine is the Ju-87A.
junkers-ju-87-a-stuka-dive-bomber-04.png

SH72136.jpg

http://www.fighter-planes.com/info/ju87.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suvoOyGGUPk

Last edited:

Aristaeus

A-List Customer
In the 80's I saw "TALES OF THE GOLD MONKEY" (- the same time I realized Indiana jones on the screen). Jake Cutter, Manfred v. Richthofen and Capt'n Baloo (disney's TaleSpin 1990) were the pilot-heroes of my childhood.

So the Grumman G-21 was my first loved plane and my heart started to tick for these kind of adventures! Thru the years I had a few dates with the P 40 Warhawk, Dornier Do 24 ... but there are to manny other "pilots" hugging and touching this sweeties. Serious: the Grumman Goose aka Cutter's Goose is "my" plane. This amphibian beauty is not only freedom, adventure, ... it makes me smile about my childhood and the dreams that surely every kid has.

315489727.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman_Goose

b
Tales of the Gold Monkey just came out on DVD.:eusa_clap

00goose_header2.jpg

Last edited:

/|\

One of the Regulars
My dad was Combat Aircrew in an AEW Skyraider off of USS Philippine Sea (CV-47) in Korea. He was enlisted at the time, and ran the radar.

Douglas%20AD-3-4%20Skyraider%20AEW.jpg

HepKitty

One Too Many
ah, Skyraiders... these 2 were the backdrop for the dance floor, and it was wonderful :) Didn't get to see them fly until the next month at the air show in Idaho Falls and they were even more beautiful

/|\

One of the Regulars
I got to see a Skyraider fly at Chino a few years ago. There was one at Abbotsford this year. (Abbotsford also had a Lanc! What a treat! It's been my favourite bomber since I was a kid.) I've got some of dad's 8mm film that he shot landing on a carrier. He told me once that the pilot would let him take the controls sometimes.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
My dad served in Southeast Asia during the Vietnam war. He was a crew chief on F4 Phantom IIs, but working the line saw a lot of different aircraft come through. I think the Skyraiders were some of his favorites. He said they were very cool firing up, as you could see an individual puff of smoke from each cylinder as they picked up RPMs.

Dad was exposed to a lot of cool aircraft, because his dad (see my avatar) was career USAAF/USAF. Grandpa and family were stationed at Tachikawa AFB in the mid-1950s and he saw some of the last F-51s and F4U Corsairs in service, and got to ride in a glass-nosed B-25.

After Japan, grandpa went to Forbes AFB near Topeka, Kansas, where Dad was exposed to B-58 Hustlers, another fascinating aircraft. But I digress...

-Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace