Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite hat crease?

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
"Tugboat" is another term to describe the look of a hat with a crown that's noticeably higher/taller in the front than it is in the back, a.k.a. "rake". I think it's unique to The Lounge, because I've never seen it used in that context anywhere else.
I heard the term used long before I knew this place existed
I even use it in my Borsalino bash video before I knew anyone here used it
... not sure I have point here... just kind of stream of consciousness typing

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/how-to-get-that-tugboat-shape.37907/

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/hat-creases.9833/page-9

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/what-degree-of-rake-do-you-prefer.58813/page-2

Folks I learned the term long ago reading the older version of the forum and the posts. I am not clever enough to have created the term.

Eric-

Last edited:
If nothing else, this proves the term didn't originate here so I consider it useful information. Thanks Anthony!

Regardless of the term used, one thing is certain after reading numerous posts on the matter--some people like a more extreme rake on their hats, others like a little rake, and others prefer none at all. I like 'em all, but it really depends on the hat.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Vtg. Stetson Twenty.

i-BTsh6zJ-M.jpg

Some rake - not enough to have it be "tugboat"ish " in my mind.

i-kztxn8v-M.jpg

Best, Eric -

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Working on another one. This is a 3X Resistol with a monster 6 1/2 open crown and 4 1/2 brim width. I'm not sure what crease I want to go with yet. I was thinking of John Wayne's hat that he wore in the movie, "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance". I got the brim shaped where it needs to be and I definitely have plenty of crown but the crease style is pretty fugly. Don't know. Too much crown for my taste. This is another one I may trade off. I don't think I'll ever wear it much.

My_3_X_Resistol.jpg
John_Wayne_Liberty_1.jpg

John_Wayne_Liberty_3.jpg
John_Wayne_Liberty_4.jpg

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Working on another one. This is a 3X Resistol with a monster 6 1/2 open crown and 4 1/2 brim width. I'm not sure what crease I want to go with yet. I was thinking of John Wayne's hat that he wore in the movie, "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance". I got the brim shaped where it needs to be and I definitely have plenty of crown but the crease style is pretty fugly. Don't know. Too much crown for my taste. This is another one I may trade off. I don't think I'll ever wear it much.

My_3_X_Resistol.jpg
John_Wayne_Liberty_1.jpg

John_Wayne_Liberty_3.jpg
John_Wayne_Liberty_4.jpg
You'll think of sumthin. Have fun, you got so much crown to fool aroun with.

Mm25

One Too Many

My_3_X_Resistol.jpg
John_Wayne_Liberty_1.jpg

John_Wayne_Liberty_3.jpg
John_Wayne_Liberty_4.jpg
That's awesome!

My_3_X_Resistol.jpg
You could always roll that brim up a little more and have a decent Hoss Cartwright hat.

Hoss_Cartwright_zpsamkqhl1r.jpg

:D

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
You could always roll that brim up a little more and have a decent Hoss Cartwright hat.

Hoss_Cartwright_zpsamkqhl1r.jpg

:D
Ha! I thought of that too but it's still too tall, even for Hoss. I did a dry crease for John Wayne's Liberty hat and that was too tall as well. I'll have to try a few more creases until I find one that works, unless someone wants to trade me out of it.

RJR

Ha! I thought of that too but it's still too tall, even for Hoss. I did a dry crease for John Wayne's Liberty hat and that was too tall as well. I'll have to try a few more creases until I find one that works, unless someone wants to trade me out of it.
You might try that "Roy Rogers"double telescope bash.There's a You Tube showing him doing it.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
How about a tall telescope bash?
I tried the telescope too. It looked too much like something Abraham Lincoln would have worn. I also tried a Cattleman crease and that was even worse. It looked like a pyramid sitting on top of my head. I may just cut two eye holes in it and pull it down over my head. I'll come up with something, eventually. But, then again, I really don't like the hat that well and I would probably rather trade it out for something I can live with.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran