Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite hat crease?

I keep playing with my tawney Stetsonian..........have not used any steam yet.....will try out this bash this weekend......
M
20170628_160234.jpg 20170628_160258.jpg 20170628_160401.jpg 20170628_160451.jpg

I keep playing with my tawney Stetsonian..........have not used any steam yet.....will try out this bash this weekend......
M

Frankly, steam never seemed to make much of a difference in mine. It held it's crease when I put it in or changed it, and even steaming afterward didn't seem to have much effect. Not a bad thing, mind you - it's responsive, but kinda weird.

KarlCrow

One Too Many
Great video Karl! And no, it's not a bad diamond at all! Thanks for posting. Question: do you have to steam the brim to snap it, or will it pretty much snap down anywhere?
i'm going to be wearing this unsnapped, as i like the way this particular hat looks up. Mine does snap and ypu can manipulate it a bit, but i haven't worked on it. If i was going to be snapping it, or moving between snapped and unsnapped, i'd show it some steam. Might do anyway.

Windsock8e

A-List Customer
i'm going to be wearing this unsnapped, as i like the way this particular hat looks up. Mine does snap and ypu can manipulate it a bit, but i haven't worked on it. If i was going to be snapping it, or moving between snapped and unsnapped, i'd show it some steam. Might do anyway.

Looks awesome. I was holding off on ordering a BGCD until the end of the summer but now, seeing it in motion... great video, trying to resist...!

...Question: do you have to steam the brim to snap it, or will it pretty much snap down anywhere?
The brims on two of my three Campdrafts snap down quite easily. On the third the felt was so stiff when I received it that it took a little effort to snap the front of the brim down, and the first few times it snapped right back up. Since then I've played with them just to see what they would do--snap the front down, snap one side down, snap it down all the way around, and so on--and they did so fairly well. But in my experience if you want the brim to hold a specific shape consistently some steam or distilled water will help. For example, I like the front of the brims snapped down a little farther, so I used distilled water to accomplish that. The brims still snap up and down, but when they're down they're a little lower than what the flange would normally allow.

Akubra_CD_Before_After_zpsef288f38.jpg

Not a huge difference, but more to my liking.

Nathaniel Finley

A-List Customer
The brims on two of my three Campdrafts snap down quite easily. On the third the felt was so stiff when I received it that it took a little effort to snap the front of the brim down, and the first few times it snapped right back up. Since then I've played with them just to see what they would do--snap the front down, snap one side down, snap it down all the way around, and so on--and they did so fairly well. But in my experience if you want the brim to hold a specific shape consistently some steam or distilled water will help. For example, I like the front of the brims snapped down a little farther, so I used distilled water to accomplish that. The brims still snap up and down, but when they're down they're a little lower than what the flange would normally allow.

Thank you Zombie, that's very useful for me!

RJR

+1

Willebe

A-List Customer

It does look better after.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot