Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what kind of hat am I looking for ?

honestly, IF one Wants to wear a hat, there is only 2 choices a winter hat and a summer hat, for me i just love hats, i wear , Akubras, berets and beanies,, these all do great for winter...
for summer, the Akubras (snowy,s) and those classic straw gardener hats,. i would not mind a nice panama hat but they get expensive and i really don't need one

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
this is the ANSWER, and a lifesaver,--------- airflow, light, non- beaver, rabbit or linen. nowhere in the panama family,

TK is getting close to solving the problem... but what abt the wind? It must b very snug or it will get blown away. Your helmet suggestion may b a better alternative Bro. A motorcycle or football helmet w a chin strap to secure it in windy weather. But that too, may b a little hot in warmer weather... what's a fella to do...?

Last edited:
th.jpeg

javadave61

Practically Family
I second what Fed in a Fedora stated. Purchase yourself a Shantung (paper based hat) that has been shellacked. These hats stand up well to the rain, due to the shellac.... The hat held up well and the rain easily ran off.

I "third" this motion. I picked up this shantung hat with the "litestraw" waterproofing for 15 bucks at an outlet. I ran a little water across it and it just rolled right off. Of course for what I paid, I don't mind trying it out in the rain. Maybe if I paid full price, I might think differently.

This one has moved to the front of my straw rotation. I just love this hat.

11111039_10206555656991754_3797023272783267301_n.jpg

1898277_10206555617270761_9167775293240710564_n.jpg

jlw

One of the Regulars
I "third" this motion. I picked up this shantung hat with the "litestraw" waterproofing for 15 bucks at an outlet. I ran a little water across it and it just rolled right off. Of course for what I paid, I don't mind trying it out in the rain. Maybe if I paid full price, I might think differently.

This one has moved to the front of my straw rotation. I just love this hat.

I just purchased a Bailey Spencer, but I will probably be exchanging it for the Bailey Joad. The hat band on the Joad is more to my liking, and I would like a slightly lower crown.

The labels due say they have been treated to be water repellant, but I don't know if that means it will take a solid/sustained drenching.

Nice find on your hat.

guillaumeb

One of the Regulars
hi all,

thanks for all your reply, I do appreciate.
I do have a couple of hats that are made of poly. One for instance looks like a straw hat.... but I was not epecting your to recommend plastic hat.

You're right indeed the Akruba Fed IV is not made of beaver but felt.I'll take a look at some others hats they migh have for me. I'm currently looking at all those options. It's hard to choose !!!

Agan thank you. I'll let you know what I chose :)

guillaumeb

One of the Regulars
I just discovered the Bailey of Hollywood brand, and I happened to have a physical reseller in my city. I call them and they advised the jackman, which they say it's made of a light wool. But I don't especially like its shape. I prefer the shape of the Gaston (in brown color) or the the Cleve. But I'll probably go to the store this week and see what other options are available.

Anyways, thanks for your answers I do appreciate

I just discovered the Bailey of Hollywood brand, and I happened to have a physical reseller in my city. I call them and they advised the jackman, which they say it's made of a light wool. But I don't especially like its shape. I prefer the shape of the Gaston (in brown color) or the the Cleve. But I'll probably go to the store this week and see what other options are available.

Anyways, thanks for your answers I do appreciate

Wool is very itchy and hot, it will also shrink when wet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GilbertHit