Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Outer Jacket To Wear With Fedora

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Sometimes the brim size dictates what works, at least with me. I wore my ancient leather bomber jacket, brown, with my Resistol Kitten Finish near-stingy (2 1/8" brim) today. Somehow the look isn't quite right. The short-brimmed hat cries out for a 1960s narrow-lapel suit, not the "rugged" look of a leather jacket. A 2.5" or wider brim would go better in that case.

My winter jacket is plaid and similar to this Pendleton, but heavier.

ebay2_40.jpg

I wear it and my fedora daily in the cold months.

Bob Beecher

One of the Regulars
Born and raised in L.A. Actually, a second-generation Angeleno. My dad and I were both born in Hollywood. I'm just getting into wearing hats and while I used to wear a light windbreaker when it gets cool (as it is now), I've started with sportcoats that I never used to wear. Wow. Check out the combinations:

Here's a Resistol XXX Beaver "Kitten Finish" hat with a tweedy brown sportcoat...

6331728193_d06f4d4b07_b.jpg

Here's my Stetson Temple with another sportcoat....

6329543877_72560c4275_b.jpg

And, of course, if you're going to wear a brown, leather jacket (as I am today!), wear the Fed IV, too!

6334990923_a260c7e264_b.jpg

Bob Beecher

One of the Regulars
A boater is the last type of brimmed hat I could see myself in. Just not my thing although they look perfectly at home on some other people's heads.

I tend to agree. I dunno....I would always be thinking "Shakey's Pizza Parlor"

(do they have those where YOU live? Think "old timey," player pianos and handlebar mustaches. Also, Farrell's Ice Cream Parlors!)

Sam Craig

One Too Many
There was a thread on here years ago showing those way cool plaid wool unconstructed jackets from the 40s and 50s, worn with slacks and fedoras ... so cool. Unfortunately the only jackets like that I've ever seen for sale around here were fairly small ... and to me a 46 is fairly small, if you get my drift

I agree with the comment to look in the mirror

I save my safari jacket for a straw or an Akubra safari style.

Pretty much every thing else is color coded gray with gray, brown or tan with brown or tan. Black, I find, can be tough. I feel like you need just the right outfit to go with a black bowler or a black Squatter without it looking like a costume.

Here in the newsroom, the crew ... after 32 years of me wearing all sorts of hats ... are used to whatever comes along.
In the front office, however, I found out this past week the ladies agreed that my new black fur felt bowler is "cute" and I should wear it more often. That was a nice surprise, so in clear weather it's going to get more of a showing. BTW ... I usually wear it with a three button black lambskin blazer, black slacks, dress shirt and simple bowtie.

When I was in college I had a black bowler I bought at Jack Henry's on the Country Club Plaza in K.C. I wore it a lot with a gray t-shirt that had a full figure pic of Legosi as Dracula on it ...quite popular in the early 70s, but I doubt I could pull it off today.

Sartorialist Sam

Sonero

Practically Family
I am definitely having trouble with this topic and would like some more ideas.

Sport Coats looks great but what else ? I've got two light weight golf jackets that might work but not much else. Matching a Kangol Hat seems to be easier for me since it is more or an urban look which I am more accustomed to.

I'd like a nice Orvis or Brooks Brothers jacket for warm climates to use with my fedoras but I haven't seen one to my liking yet.

For all you guys into the bush style fedora IE. Outback type look check out www.dungarees.net and their Carhartt offerings. I have been doing Carhartt for too many years now and would like a sleeker look so that is out of the question for me.

I wish wearing a blazer was more acceptable with the younger crowd....

I wish wearing a blazer was more acceptable with the younger crowd....

Me thinks you think too much. If you look through the WHAYWT, you'll see everything from t-shirts to tuxedos being worn with fedoras. Hoodies and denim jackets included. Put your favorite fedora on with your jacket of choice, look in the mirror and if you like it, wear it. The "younger" crowd can kiss your ---!

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I have only 9 hats I would wear to work or to town (not counting the baseball caps I currently shun) so it's not too hard to pick something out. I'm mostly casual or less... meaning I've outgrown my suits and they don't require them in the office anymore anyhow.

I usually pick out a hat first and then dress around it. But like the guys said earlier, just wear what you want. I sure as heck am not any fashion expert and don't have the wardrobe to back it up if I was, and I still get comments on my hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany