Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What seperates "golden era" from "midcentury"?

The-Stupid-It-Burns_27523-l.jpg

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
"Arsenic in rice"...not to be confused with arsenic & lace .
2q2ldi1.png

Most probably know this, but I just found out .
On Dr. Oz today it was reported that low-levels of arsenic have been found in all crops of rice-
brown, white, wild, regardless of the country they are grown, regardless of the farming methods
(ie. doesn't matter if it's organic or not). :eeek:

On Dr. Oz today it was reported that low-levels of arsenic have been found in all crops of rice-
brown, white, wild, regardless of the country they are grown, regardless of the farming methods

Most of your food is full of dihydrogen monoxide too. I'm sure Dr. Oz will eventually get around to scaring people with that one to get them to buy whatever he's huckstering.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
On that point, at least, there's actual evidence that organic arsenic is less dangerous than inorganic.

Arsenic can be a real issue in well water. A friend lived downhill from an old cemetery, and had to stop using her well because tests found it to be extremely arsenicky. Evidently there were several Civil War soldiers buried in that particular graveyard, and their bodies had been sent home from the battlefield pickled in arsenic as a preservative, and that arsenic has now contaminated the groundwater. Oopsies.

On that point, at least, there's actual evidence that organic arsenic is less dangerous than inorganic.

Arsenic can be a real issue in well water. A friend lived downhill from an old cemetery, and had to stop using her well because tests found it to be extremely arsenicky. Evidently there were several Civil War soldiers buried in that particular graveyard, and their bodies had been sent home from the battlefield pickled in arsenic as a preservative, and that arsenic has now contaminated the groundwater. Oopsies.

Maine is a well-known "hotspot" for arsenic in groundwater. Much of it is naturally occurring, though a lot is anthropogenic as well. Most of the western US also has very high levels of naturally occurring arsenic. In fact, when the USEPA lowered the federal drinking water standard from 50 ug/L to 10 ug/L in 2006, about half of the public drinking water supplies in Texas could not meet the new standard.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Most of your food is full of dihydrogen monoxide too. I'm sure Dr. Oz will eventually get around to scaring people with that one to get them to buy whatever he's huckstering.

I usually don't watch Dr. Oz . But my friend who does, mentioned about the "arsenic" found
in rice.

So I watched the Dr. Oz program again.

I saw a man who is providing information that he feels will promote better health from the food we eat.

The people who are invited to his show also provide information that they feel will be better for our health.

There are "sponsors" who put the tab for this show to be on the air. I get this.

But I did not see this man "huckstering" or scaring people into buying anything.
He is giving people choices .

This is my perception of the Dr Oz show.

Last edited:
"Arsenic in rice"...not to be confused with arsenic & lace .
2q2ldi1.png

I hate rice anyway--no loss. :p

I usually don't watch Dr. Oz . But my friend who does, mentioned about the "arsenic" found
in rice.

So I watched the Dr. Oz program again.

I saw a man who is providing information that he feels will promote better health from the food we eat.

The people who are invited to his show also provide information that they feel will be better for our health.

There are "sponsors" who put the tab for this show to be on the air. I get this.

But I did not see this man "huckstering" or scaring people into buying anything.
He is giving people choices .

This is my perception of the Dr Oz show.

Read up on his recent battles with other doctors, medical ethicists and Congress on his pimping of "fairy dust" for ratings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran