Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What size would a 9"X7" opening be?

KevKaos59

Familiar Face
I've been looking for a hat size calculator that would help me figure this one out, but I can't seem to find one. Can someone point me to one or tell me how you would figure out the size from these measurements? Oh, guess I should put the measurements in the text as well as the header.
Hat opening 9" X 7"

Mr E Train

One Too Many
You can use an ellipse calculator to get some idea of the circumference in inches, and then use a hat size chart to figure out what that equates to.

As a guess, I'd say that 9" x 7" equates to about a size 7 7/8 Long Oval, maybe even an 8. Whatever it is, that's a big hat. Is this an eBay hat you're thinking about buying, or is it a hat you have or have seen in person that just isn't marked? If it's an eBay hat, I wouldn't trust the measurements. It seems such a simple thing to measure the opening lengthwise and across, but trust me, they can screw it up, usually by starting and ending in the wrong place, not inside the sweatband but on the edge of the felt where the sweatband is attached.

KevKaos59

Familiar Face
Yes, it WAS on Ebay. I took a chance on it. If it fits, or is close, I'll decide then. If not, I will probably over it up on here so a collector gets it. Hope the link works, and thanks for the calculator info.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260592680037&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

For me the box is worth $20 to use for one of my existing hats, so that brought the effective price down to $15 and as for the $16 shipping, I've paid much more than that to have a hat and box shipped. Maybe someone with a larger head will want it and I can score some good Karma points. ;-)

KevKaos59

Familiar Face
Feraud said:
Based on the photo of the inside of the hat there looks to be a size tag in there.

You sir have excellent eyes. I missed that myself. I'm still a noob in the hats world, but it just looked like it might be worth the risk, even if I am only able to dust it off, figure out the correct size and offer it to someone here on the forum. I'm betting that there will be another size marking inside the band where most ebay sellers dont look.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
I have the distinct feeling that if that seller worked on a construction site and there were two jobs available--the guy who measures and the guy who cuts-- he (or she) would be the guy who cuts. :rolleyes:

KevKaos59

Familiar Face
The funny thing is that it doesn't really look like a long oval. It looks much more like the opening on the Adams I am wearing today which is really round. Any other thoughts on this hat as it is seen in these limited photos? I thought the ribbon on the band made it look like an older vintage, but who knows. Just might be interesting to guesstimate and then see what it turns out to be once in hand.

BTW Mr E Train....... that there was funny. :)

Mr E Train

One Too Many
KevKaos59 said:
The funny thing is that it doesn't really look like a long oval.

Hence my comment above. A 9-inch length and a 7-inch width would definitely equate to some form Long Oval, maybe an Extra Long Oval. 7 3/4 Regular Oval size hats that I have are usually somewhere between 8 1/4" x 7" and 8 1/2" x 7".

Oh, and thanks. I do hope the hat works out for you. What hat size do you wear, Kev?

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
The numbers do seem odd. And that does look like a black size tag in the back. Always communicate with the seller when in doubt.

Either way, I do hope it works out for you ... ;)

hatted

One of the Regulars
I was thinking of going for this, and emailed the seller for more accurate measurements. He never got back to me. The brim looked a bit stingy, but I wasn't sure. Enjoy the hat!

And post pics!

KevKaos59

Familiar Face
I'm betting that it's going to be a size 6 1/2. hehehehehe
It's probably a little to stingy even for me, but I can't seem to wear those 3" brims like most of you. 2" or 2 1/4" brims are my best. Like I said, I sorta bought it on a lark. If nothing else, I will clean it up and get proper measurements for the next owner. Hatted, if it was something you might be interested in, I can drop you a line with better details once I have it in hand.

Just the numbers themselves have me suspicious. I mean, right at the inch mark in both cases? No fractions? Has me thinking the seller was taking the slap-dash, "close enough" approach.

As has been observed here many, many times before, the average person these days, and certainly your typical eBay seller, is oblivious to hat sizes. They just don't know that a quarter inch difference in sweatband circumference is significant, and a half inch is huge.

Hope it works out for you.

KevKaos59

Familiar Face
tonyb said:
Just the numbers themselves have me suspicious. I mean, right at the inch mark in both cases? No fractions? Has me thinking the seller was taking the slap-dash, "close enough" approach.
That is a very keen observation that I had not picked up on as well. This is almost getting to be like a mystery book.

KevKaos59

Familiar Face
I misspoke earlier when I talked of my Adams opening being round. It's an oval. Anyway, I took some really quick measurements on this Adam's which is a 7 1/4 and fits me better than any other hat I have. I got 6.5 X 8. Plugged that into the calculator you guys pointed me to and got 22.89 and change. Seems like that calculator works pretty well. Thanks again. I just keep on learning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IGDS