Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Song Would You Like Played At Your Funeral.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Totally unplanned, and it won't happen, but if I could contrive just one song, then it would have to be: "If Tomorrow Never Comes." The musicality of the original, by Garth Crooks almost moves me to tears, but the cover version by Ronan Keating, with his lilting, mournful, Irish brogue is just so perfect. At the risk of sounding gushing, my marriage is the best thing that I ever did. When we said 'Until death us do part,' all those years ago, we, or at least I, never thought for a minute that it would happen. The optimism of youth.
[video=youtube;zG2Kw482pcg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG2Kw482pcg[/video]

Totally unplanned, and it won't happen, but if I could contrive just one song, then it would have to be: "If Tomorrow Never Comes." The musicality of the original, by Garth Crooks almost moves me to tears, but the cover version by Ronan Keating, with his lilting, mournful, Irish brogue is just so perfect. At the risk of sounding gushing, my marriage is the best thing that I ever did. When we said 'Until death us do part,' all those years ago, we, or at least I, never thought for a minute that it would happen. The optimism of youth.
[video=youtube;zG2Kw482pcg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG2Kw482pcg[/video]

You mean the immortality of youth(or seemingly :p).

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
THIS:

[video=youtube;viW5rT2duoc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viW5rT2duoc&feature=youtube_gdata_player [/video]

Has always seemed particularly appropriate.

EliasRDA

One of the Regulars
1 - The Caisson Song - the older version not the newer.

2 - Paint It Black by the Stones. Its always been my song, even when I was a wee lil one, I cant explain why but then again I have a tattoo that says Adflictatio, Delectatio so it just fits for me.

3 - Running Deer - a American indian drum circle song

4 - Taps obviously- military funeral with a most have 21 gun salute.

And playing somewhere in the background very softly would be Brother Iz (Israel Kamakawiwo'ole) since I was born in Havai'i, while I'm partial to "somewhere over the rainbow" its become to cliché.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I think that "The Perfect Song" would be a lovely piece to have played during a viewing. Charming and contemplative.

[video=youtube;eR749_h-VtA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR749_h-VtA&feature=youtube_gdata_player [/video]

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Even before I started researching "Amos 'n' Andy" I thought that was a beautiful piece of music, even if Briell did plagiarize it from "The Angels' Serenade." I have an RCA Victor transcription record of NBC organist Dean Fossler playing five or six different one-minute arrangements of it, apparently to be used in deciding which version should be used on the air, and they're all lovely. Even the one that starts off in march tempo.

A man should know what his last message is. My parting message to my darling bride of many decades would be from Dave Carter's When I Go.

"and should you glimpse my wand'rin form out on the borderline
between death and resurrection and the council of the pines
do not worry for my comfort, do not sorrow for me so
all your diamond tears will rise up and adorn the sky beside me when i go"

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I've thought about this a lot, and what I would like played for my daughter is I die before she is an adult is Cat Steven's "How Can I Tell You." I've loved this song since I was a teen.

[video=youtube;MRHN7nUg26M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRHN7nUg26M[/video]

"I need to feel my arms around you, feel my arms surround you, like sea around the shore."

I can't imagine not getting to hug her anymore, with one of those great big hugs that you give to your kids. I can't imagine not knowing her as she grew up. I want her to know that I will always be thinking of her, talking to her, and walking beside her. And that I hope I will see her again, after she has a long full life; a life longer and fuller than mine.

I have such wide, eclectic, tastes in music. It would be difficult to chose a couple dozen songs that really move me. And being a notorious penny pincher (totally broke besides), I would be inclined to not waste the money on any sort of a funeral.
However, for what it is worth, I would like a traditional "Saint James Infirmary Blues". But since I have never found a favorite recording of it, I guess any good version will do.
In classical music, I would like Richard Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries".

filfoster

One Too Many
What does it say that I've thought about this within the last few weeks? I used to think something somber would be nice-the overture to Tannhauser, or Entrance of the Gods into Valhalla, or some Chopin piece. Then, I thought swing music would be nice. Now, I think "Hotel California" (Gypsy Kings, ala Big Lebowski) and "Tequila" would be fitting. My wife suggests "Ring of Fire" by Johnny Cash. Perhaps she is right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran