Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What sounds do you like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

funneman

Practically Family
A thread here about what we all sound like, got me to thinking
about sounds.

I have been listening very closely to natural sounds since I was very little. With thirty-plus years of Radio and Production behind me, sounds have pretty much been my life.

I love the sound of rain, thunder, huge waterfalls and babies making sounds for the first time.

So...what natural sounds do you like?

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
A few of my favourites are the sound an apple makes when you toss it up in the air and then catch it. Also hallow sounds... like a hallow piece of wood being knocked. Heheh of course I get delight out of my Shibas "talking". Oh! And an odd one... I like the sound of fighting cats. Yeah... I know... I'm a freak!

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
funneman said:
A thread here about what we all sound like, got me to thinking
about sounds.

I have been listening very closely to natural sounds since I was very little. With thirty-plus years of Radio and Production behind me, sounds have pretty much been my life.

I love the sound of rain, thunder, huge waterfalls and babies making sounds for the first time.

So...what natural sounds do you like?
CICADAs in the summer - reminds me of visiting my grandparents' house in Virginia Beach as a kid. (never lived close enough to woods to hear them too much myself)

Swing High,
- C H

ClassicIsBetter

One of the Regulars
Seeing how I am hearing impaired, hehe (wear a cochlear implant though) ...for what's it's worth, I love the overall sound of wind and water when you're on top of a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean...

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Cousin Hepcat said:
CICADAs in the summer - reminds me of visiting my grandparents' house in Virginia Beach as a kid. (never lived close enough to woods to hear them too much myself)

Swing High,
- C H

I do too... although I don't really notice them until they stop... :) We still have a few singing now, but for the most part they are done. :(

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
I grew up on the coast, so for me it's still the sound of waves meeting the shore. For the complete son et lumi?©re experience, I'll take a walk on the clifftops during a storm, while the sky burns and the sea boils, and the air shakes your bones with thunder. You can also give me waterfalls, and what seems to be the rarest of all sounds nowadays: silence, with perhaps a little light birdsong.

ClassicIsBetter

One of the Regulars
Not to derail the thread, but I am glad that there are others who enjoy the sound of silence. It's amazing how many people have to have some kind of noise going on... Sometimes I'll turn off my hearing aid just because I can, sometimes I don't turn it on until I get to work... With silence, one hears the world with a different set of ears, the sound of God... Silence isn't just for movie theatres.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
ClassicIsBetter said:
Not to derail the thread, but I am glad that there are others who enjoy the sound of silence. It's amazing how many people have to have some kind of noise going on... Sometimes I'll turn off my hearing aid just because I can, sometimes I don't turn it on until I get to work... With silence, one hears the world with a different set of ears, the sound of God... Silence isn't just for movie theatres.
A perfectly still, remote, wood - on a day without wind - just quiet. Nothing like it. In a manner, I envy you - I live under the flight path of Burbank airport and there are moments - myriad of moments - that I wish I could just turn my hearing OFF. Instead, I just pause the Tivo...

ClassicIsBetter

One of the Regulars
Mr. Lucky said:
A perfectly still, remote, wood - on a day without wind - just quiet. Nothing like it. In a manner, I envy you - I live under the flight path of Burbank airport and there are moments - myriad of moments - that I wish I could just turn my hearing OFF. Instead, I just pause the Tivo...

With the cochlear implant, it's as close as I'll get (for now) to having the best of both worlds (the world of the hearing and the world of the not-so-hearing). With the implant on, I hear almost normal. With it off, stone cold silence. Works wonders when you have a headache, or a girlfriend... (just kidding)

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
ClassicIsBetter said:
With the cochlear implant, it's as close as I'll get (for now) to having the best of both worlds (the world of the hearing and the world of the not-so-hearing). With the implant on, I hear almost normal. With it off, stone cold silence. Works wonders when you have a headache, or a girlfriend... (just kidding)
The cochlear implant, aka The Bionic Ear - remarkable! I just looked it up and am astounded by the technology involved. Congrats! Wow!

My apologies, thread back on track now.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Airplane engines!!!

A I don't mean hot-air blowing turbine engines!!!.....I mean reciprocating, piston pushing, gasoline burning, propeller spinning motors. The ones that spew white oil smoke when they first crank over and then clackety-clack to a halt when you shut them down. I'm talking about radials, and inlines, air-cooled or water-cooled big, oil dripping horse-power cranking machines that drive airplanes behind a whirlwind of prop-wash. That's what I'm talking about! You know that sound?...it's the one the makes you look skyward and squint into the sun to find the source of that multi-engine harmony and indentify the craft by it's silhouette alone - and then follow it's path until it's a dot in the sky followed by a dull fading drone, wishing it were you yourself conducting that symphony of sound. That's the noise I like.

-dixon cannon

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
...and another thing!!...

I also like the sound of the word "puncture". It's the only word that actually sounds like what it describes - punc chure. Just picture it, punc chure !! Crazy ain't it?!!

-dixon cannon

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Dixon Cannon said:
I also like the sound of the word "puncture". It's the only word that actually sounds like what it describes - punc chure. Just picture it, punc chure !! Crazy ain't it?!!

-dixon cannon

Oh I don't know, how about "mellifluous"? I'm very fond of that word.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925