Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What sounds do you like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willi_Goat

One of the Regulars
I like the sound of rain, if it is accompanied by thunder claps that is good also.

A distant train.

A propeller driven multi-engine aircraft, mostly radial engined, but a C-130 is not bad.

The sound of nothing but my own breathing and heartbeat when I get a hundred meters or so up a trail in the mountains and I have left most civilization behind.

S

Samsa

I could think of dozens...I'll try to contain myself. Some of my favorites:

1. A good classical guitar in the hands of a virtuoso (i.e. Segovia, Pepe Romero).

2. Rain, with or without thunder.

3. Soughing.

4. The sound of quiet voices, especially if it intimates warmth and familiarity between the people speaking.

5. The sound of latin, especially at a Traditional Mass in a small church, when it is spoken softly and barely audible.

6. Most female voices, but not loud ones.

Steve

Practically Family
Sounds I relish:

• A ticking clock in a still room.
  • Various small animals scurrying through the brush of the forest floor as birds sing overhead.
  • A quiet waterfall.
  • Waves lapping on the shore.
  • Simple instrumental music.
  • The scratch of the pencil as I translate ideas into words.
  • The interesting shuffles and booms that you hear in an empty theater as the crew works to prepare the stage for a performance.
  • A running stream.

And so, so many more.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My old tea pot made a great clopping noise when I placed the round lid on the lip of the pot as it swerved into the groove and pivited to a stop. Such a great dence sound :rolleyes:

LD

raiderrescuer

One of the Regulars
Sounds...

I have three favorites (In no particular order)...

1. The sound of the river rumbling across the river rocks and the birds chirping at the Cabin.

2. Good Music.

3. Ladies with Foreign Accents talking softly.

CharlieH.

One Too Many
The sound of a steam locomotive whistle and the accompanying chuffing. As well as all the squealing, grinding, puffiing and clanging that goes with them.

That and the theremin-like noise a vintage radio does when you tune it.... and a theremin.

DronesDodz

One of the Regulars
1. the sound of my wife when she is peacefully sleeping beside me in bed.
2. My cat purring....makes me very tired but very relaxing
3. nothing about the sound of a summer night in the country
4. I love a british accent, don't laugh...can be sexy too :)
5. my favourite music
6. the sound of my bagpipes

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
and babies making sounds

Okay, I misread this the first time.... :D

Heavy rain on a roof

The girlish voices sleepy women get

Wolves howling (only once have I heard in the wild)

Thunder

The ocean at night on an empty beach

The far off crackle of gunfire at the range

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
-water bubbling in a conical flask
-wood pigeons cooing
-swifts in flight
-crickets
-rumble of a subterranean train
-muffled bell telephone ringing in another room
-girlish laughter

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
I love the wind whistling through the trees, rain knocking on my window, thunder, walking in the snow and my boyfriend singing around to nag me :) Oh.... and the click clack high heels make when walking on the street. I always stole my grandmothers heels to try to make those noises myself.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
The wind blowing through a corn field in late summer.
The sounds of a county fair after dark from a distance.
The 'pop' of a large bubble while chewing my bubble gum.

Daisy Buchanan

I also love the sound of thunder. Rain falling on the roof, the sound of water when it laps up against the side of a boat, waterfalls, trees blowing in the wind especially on a hot summer day right before a big storm. I too like the little sounds a baby makes for the first time. I love the sound my cats make when they are sound asleep, they make this little squeeky snoring noise, a sound of pure contentment. And although this isn't a natural sound, I like the sound of traffic and the train outside my window. I find it hard to sleep in the quite since I've lived with these noises for the past ten years. Oh, and the sound of a rushing river. So amazing to hear such a noise in the middle of a very still place, like the forest.

Girl Friday

Practically Family
When I was a kid I got so used to sleeping with a space heater I almost couldn't fall asleep without it, my mom finally said something since it was well into Spring and I was still sleeping with it on. It was a combination of the glow and the sound. I have a sound machine now it is usually on ocean waves or babbling brook. Also the sound of a train always reminds me of the summer spent with my grandmother. And of course rain, but the smell of wet pavement is always the best.

Twitch

Like Dixon I like the sound of engines besides natural sounds. A nice well-tuned street engine that burbles along through the mufflers alluding to power but not showing it. The 7,000 horsepower nitro fuel dragsters for the most powerful raw sound of any internal combustion engine. The WW 2-era aircraft engines. They sound different than all later piston engines.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925