Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to Wear with a Deerstalker

Captain Lex

One of the Regulars
OVOIal.jpg

So I got this deerstalker from the J Peterman on clearance a while back and now the season's finally around to wear it! Unfortunately my suits are decidedly snappier in their sensibilities than can reasonably support this hat.

So I was wondering - where should I look for a jacket to wear this with? I've got plenty of sweater vests and conservative shirts that will match, but none of the suits or odd jackets I own really make any sense. I was hoping you guys might be able to point me in the right direction - but I warn you, I'm not always familiar with the names of cuts and patterns, so pictures, references, and descriptions are greatly appreciated.

But seriously ...

I can see a person wearing a deerstalker and not leave the impression he's going to a costume party, provided he avoid the full deerstalker drag. I'm thinking brown leather jacket and cords. Maybe saddle shoes in two-tone brown.

Last edited:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Well, it is very firmly a country/sporting hat. So, I would keep it in that vein (and context).

EDIT: Yes, none of these guys are wearing deerstalkers, but they could be and it would work.

file-18_zps17a961b0.jpg

a9c21d92_Eskyr1_zps3f7d65a5.jpg

file-55_zps495b1e0b.jpg

f1dc8c1c_Eskyz1_zps53d1d727.jpg

c17fdba5_Eskym1_zps6222f846.jpg

diamondtweedcopy3gt_zps45e10181.jpg

Godfrey

One of the Regulars
I saw a 'hipster' wearing a deer stalker the other day. He had a large pea coat, none to narrow darkish pants and a bag slung while he walked his bike. The grey tweed deerstalker looked good. I think the bicycle made it all work.

BTW - thanks for starting this thread. Haven't been game to wear the deer stalker about. Would be good to get some ideas that are a little less hipster.

Last edited:

Captain Lex

One of the Regulars
So here was day 1's trial outfit:

Pumpkin shirt, forest green sweatervest, and a dark brown suede jacket. There are green and oranges in the windowpane of the hat complemented by shirt and vest, but I feel like the chocolate brown is too dark for the hat. My girlfriend said she thought outfit looked better without the hat. 6/10.

PS - Apologies for the crap picture, but my brother was losing patience.

Edward

Bartender
It's a country hat, so appropriate country wear. I wouldn't wear one in town, myself (nor, of course, did Holmes before Hollywood got hold of him), but that's to personal taste. I wear other countrywear in town all the time, so.

So here was day 1's trial outfit:

Pumpkin shirt, forest green sweatervest, and a dark brown suede jacket. There are green and oranges in the windowpane of the hat complemented by shirt and vest, but I feel like the chocolate brown is too dark for the hat. My girlfriend said she thought outfit looked better without the hat. 6/10.

PS - Apologies for the crap picture, but my brother was losing patience.

Works for me.

Captain Lex

One of the Regulars
I wouldn't wear it in town if such a thing as a country life existed for me, but unfortunately I must provide my own. That shooting jacket looks spot on, by the way. I should look in to one of those.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
I think you're on the right track. Bookster and Horwood & Shaw are famous for their shooting jackets. And if you're somewhat strapped for cash, contact Tweedmans Vintage. They have previously owned tweed coats of various sorts by the bundle for very little money. You look pretty slim so you shouldn't have any trouble finding what you want. Larger chaps can wait a long time before one of the tweeds shows up in a 44L or larger.

Captain Lex

One of the Regulars
That's a great link...thanks for turning me on to that! I'm getting by over here, too - for now, I've got it paired with my classic trench and the aforeseen suede jacket. It's-not-too-bad rainy-season attire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran