Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What TV shows were you GLAD were cancelled?

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Regarding All in the Family, which I watched for about the first three years of its original run, Archie was initially made out to be a real stereotyped right-winger, undoubtedly because the producers of the show were from the opposite political spectrum. I am of the opinion, though, that some of the people who watched the show actually agreed with Archie's politics more than Michael's. Which comes to this observance: Not all of Archie's views were invalid or off the wall, but were simply mocked due to the aforementioned producers' worldview. When it came to race relations, he was stereotypically bigoted most of the time, but as pertains to politics, some of what he espoused was simply that which contemporary liberals saw as antiquated, but which many of the WWII generation adhered to. Not a total vindication of the character, but there were times when the "poorly-educated," but experienced Archie made more sense than the "educated," but naive Meathead...

Last edited:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I love M*A*S*H but it went on too long. Yes, preachy. The men getting longer gray hair. Hotlips looking like a mannequin with bleached blond hair. Enough was enough.

I never got into Seinfeld. Didn't phase me a bit when it was canceled.

The hair length was ridiculous; might have been tolerated in Vietnam, but not at a MASH unit during the Korean War. And you're also right about Hotlips: her character became a poster child for face lifts, and "developed" unrealistically from loudmouth adulterer to soft-spoken ascetic...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
MASH should have ended when Henry Blake was killed. That would've been a gutsy, unforgettable way to send a message about war, but unfortunately Alan Alda had far too many Groucho impressions left to do.

As much as I loved "Dragnet" as a kid, Joe Friday was getting a bit long in the tooth by 1971 or so.

And I second the call on "Cheers." Kirstie Alley has always been fingernails on the blackboard to me, compounded by the fact that she used to live around here and was known to give the local working stiffs the high-hat when she came into town. Get over yourself, toots, we ain't impressed. And say hi to Parker for us.

Last edited:
I can't even look at Kirstie Alley. Ugh.

What went wrong? :p

KirstieWrathKhan.JPG

BigFitz

Practically Family
The hair length was ridiculous; might have been tolerated in Vietnam, but not at a MASH unit during the Korean War. And you're also right about Hotlips: her character became a poster child for face lifts, and "developed" unrealistically from loudmouth adulterer to soft-spoken ascetic...

That was one of the reasons I hated MASH the movie, Elliot Gould looked ridiculous with that hair and mustache. His character was a bit too snotty as well. Hated that movie. Did I already say that?

Today, 03:01 PMAmy Jeanne
Always hated Full House. I LOATHE Bob Saget. HATED "Uncle Joey" so hard and always felt "Uncle Jesse" was overrated (not attractive, either, as he's hyped up to be). And the daughters....CRINGE! DESPISE the Olson twins!!! Sometimes I like to watch reruns just to get myself worked up I remember when it premiered and EVERYONE the next day was talking about how great it was. I thought it sucked. Went on for too long.

Right on the button about that show. I mirror your feelings almost to the letter.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
There has rarely, if ever, been a period series on television that has made more than a limp effort to get hairstyles correct for the period. Somebody should have told Michael Landon they didn't have perms on the Prairie.

I enjoyed "Hogan's Heroes" for what it was -- an entertaining comedy-adventure show -- but the hairstyles on the female characters drove me nuts. Klink's secretary was an obvious time traveler from 1966.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I love M*A*S*H but it went on too long. Yes, preachy. The men getting longer gray hair. Hotlips looking like a mannequin with bleached blond hair. Enough was enough.

I never got into Seinfeld. Didn't phase me a bit when it was canceled.

Hi

Somebody should work out a count, but I'm pretty sure that MASH went on far longer (in air time) that the Korean War did. Jeez. Didn't Hop lips get married twice? In a year and a half war. I've watched one episode of Seinfeld three or four times. I miss Emergency, and a few others.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I can see where Emergency was running out of steam towards the end.
We've watched (almost) the entire series and a few episodes seem labored as far as ideas.
Thankfully they didn't get far with Jack Webb's idea of Animal Control Officers having their own series.
This episode was a real stinker, with only one bright spot and it was the appearance of Mark Harmon in his early days.
He was probably screaming at his agent after reading the script. :)

BTW MASH was pretty good, up until Frank and Col. Blake were taken out, and Trapper John left.
Just MHO.
As with other great shows though, after season 5 or so, how do you go on?

Continuing this thread, I'll add That 70's Show. Yes it's modern, but the clothing, the sets, and the references were interesting to watch. The storylines were good most of the time, but a bit too much cursing for me.

Last edited:

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
The episode dealing with North American marsupials would have been a classic. Consider the possumbilities !
:eusa_clap
I guess Jack felt that with the "reality" hits Dragnet and Emergency under his belt, he'd try something else that interested him.
Didn't work thankfully.
Then again, he could have had Julie London singing Jazz tunes, with Bobby Troup playing the piano. That I would watch.

Continuing the thread...Land Of The Lost.
I used to have to watch this awful piece of crap because a) my sister somewhat liked it, and b) there wasn't much on pre-cable days. It was either LOTL or This Old House, and I didn't care to see that.

Yup. Happy Days comes to mind, once again.

There has rarely, if ever, been a period series on television that has made more than a limp effort to get hairstyles correct for the period.

Dragnet, in my opinion, is still one of the greatest shows ever made. Jack Webb's monologues were fantastic and you walked away with something when the show was over.

I love 'Cheers' but didn't like Kirstie Alley, though she was pretty to look at.
As much as I loved "Dragnet" as a kid, Joe Friday was getting a bit long in the tooth by 1971 or so.

And I second the call on "Cheers." Kirstie Alley has always been fingernails on the blackboard to me, compounded by the fact that she used to live around here and was known to give the local working stiffs the high-hat when she came into town. Get over yourself, toots, we ain't impressed. And say hi to Parker for us.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Sex and the City. My Mrs insisted it was 'cutting edge comedy' I hated it because Sarah Jessica Parker was in it. She(Sarah JP) was just too self promoting to be likeable(to me anyway).
The Waltons. Life was too perfect, dont think I watched a single episode to the end.
Star Trek. Why were all the aliens people painted silver?

OK, thats the USA done for, so to show I'm not prejudiced:

Morecambe and Wise: Same comedy routines for too long ;"What do you think of it so far? Rubbish!"
Only Fools and Horses. Ditto Morecambe & W.
Family at War. Has there ever been a grimmer household, but then I suppose it was supposed to be wartime.

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
I have to agree with you on Happy Days. I like the show it just ran to long. It seems when Arnold's got burned down the show just went down hill after and I could never tell what decade/year the show was in when it finally got canceled.

The Benny Hill show, hated it.

Morecambe and Wise: Same comedy routines for too long ;"What do you think of it so far? Rubbish!"
Only Fools and Horses. Ditto Morecambe & W.
Family at War. Has there ever been a grimmer household, but then I suppose it was supposed to be wartime.

While I'm a big Eric & Ernie fan I'll have to admit that much of their Thames shows (1978-83) are painful to watch. By that time they had really started to age and also Eric's health was seriously declining. He had suffered a second heart attack in 1979 and had undergone bypass surgery which had all but precluded him from dancing and doing physical comedy. And even though their writer Eddie Braben, who helped make their BBC show such a great success, eventually rejoined them at Thames, much of their material was recycled from the 1968-77 BBC series and even their earlier 1961-67 ATV show. They had pretty much run out of steam

Shortly before his death Eric said almost prophetically that doing another Morecambe & Wise series would give him a heart attack and that heart attack would be the one that kills him. And the show died with him because in May 1984 Eric Morecambe, after doing a live one man show, suffered a fatal heart attack moments after he walked offstage.

Last edited:

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
...The Benny Hill show, hated it.

Gasp!!!! HOW could anyone NOT LIKE the little bald guy getting patted on his little head?? And then there's the weekly sequence at the end of the show with everyone chasing to the tune of "Yackety Sax". I'm appalled, appalled I tell you.

:eeek:

Of course I don't YET own the whole series on DVD but I do own the first eight seasons of 2.5 men. [huh]

Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany