Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What type of knot do you tie?

What type of knot do you tie for your necktie?

• Four in hand

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Windsor

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Half Windsor

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Pratt

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Full Windsor (with pic)

My choice in tie knots.

ErrolFlynn006.jpg

Rosie

One Too Many
As an occasional tie wearing lady, I use the Windsor knot because that is the one my daddy taught me. My ex taught me to do a half windsor but, I've forgotten and I don't know anyone (unfortunately) who wears a proper tie. I've looked online to find other ways to tie a tie but, they all seem complicated and weird (maybe I'm slow). Does anyone know of a good how to resorce for knots?

Steve

Practically Family
I learned to tie a tie with a half-windsor; so that's what I've been using til now. But now that I've seen the four-in-hand, I think I'll move to that for my thicker silk tie.

melankomas

One of the Regulars
i generally use the pratt or half-windsor. i'm too small to use the four in hand, since there's too much tie left over. i'm also too small for a full windsor, since the knot is large.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
I only know how to tie a tie one way, and then, only recently did I come up with how to do it. I almost never wear a tie anyway. Just a few weeks ago, actually, I got a couple of new ties and tried to tie them, doing my best to remember how my dad showed me how to tie it. I couldn't quite remember, but I stood there and just figured out on my own how to tie it where it looks nice and I can pull the "tail" out and then pull the tie undone with a tug. I had no idea what the knot might be called, but going on the tie-a-tie website, I find that my knot is (or seems close to) a half windsor.

I just now tried to tie a "four in hand" and the knot is absolutely tiny, and, of course, crooked, which I cannot stand.

drownman

New in Town
Depends

I alter between the four-in-four and windsor, depending on tie and shirt. New ties are often quite thick which means that a windsor knot would become too big for my taste.

indyjim

Familiar Face
I tie something I've heard called a Shelby. Ties very much like the Pratt described earlier. One starts with the seam facing out.
Makes a very nice triangular knot, not too large. When you untie it, only the narrow end comes out. The knot remains and must be untied separately.

Elaina

One Too Many
I realize I'm a woman, but I've had to wear ties to work and I was a single mother for a number of years...so I tie a half-Windsor knot as my prefrence. It worked well when I waitressed, and was using a number of the old man upstairs ties he always gave me for it (they were from the 20's, and if memory serves were his father's, but they were LOUD and fun). My son, consequently, can tie a really bad half-Windsor, but he prefers the four-in-hand because it seems to be easier on him then my way (and he hates clip ons). To that end, he actually prefers an ascot, and can tie one like nobody's business.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
I've tied the same tie since I was a boy. I was told eons ago that it's a half-windsor; I responded to the poll with that. It's not; I tie a four-in-hand knot. I actually find it somewhat problematic sometimes. I think the second move with the half-windsor would help with my problem of keeping the various parts in place when finishing up the knot; especially with slick acetate ties, they just don't want to follow orders toward the end. I'll have to try it.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I voted FIH, but usually I make a second pass around the knot. That knot is known as the Victoria (or Prince Albert). It elongates and thickens the FIH knot slightly while still giving you the asymmetrical look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy