Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was in my wallet?

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
My theory for the more frequent use of checks and credit cards by women in the last 30 years or so is that fear of purse snatchers conditioned them to not carry large amounts of cash.

Could be... Purse snatchers also have a harder time absconding with larger, heavier handbags of today, so maybe it's a good thing we carry the kitchen sink with us ;)

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Thats true, isn't it? In one of my favourite novels, Beverly Clearly's Fifteen (written in 1955), she is describing a geeky fellow and says "He carries his money in a change pouch, too, not loose in his pocket like other boys."

Geeky or not, that fellow clearly had common sense. I find that I need my wallet even if I'm not carrying cash simply to store business cards, my debit card (I will never own a credit card if I can avoid it), driving licence, student card, party membership card etc.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Geeky or not, that fellow clearly had common sense. I find that I need my wallet even if I'm not carrying cash simply to store business cards, my debit card (I will never own a credit card if I can avoid it), driving licence, student card, party membership card etc.

Agreed. I could never go wallet-less, it would be too messy.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I don't carry cash unless I'm going to a place like the barber or something, where they don't take a credit card. Otherwise that's all I carry, along with an ID and business cards to write on actually (I don't hand them out). LOL
Wallets were probably much thinner back in the golden era....:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran