Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
Tonight, Revenge of the Sith, with youngest son. He had given me the blu-ray collection as a present and we are working our way through the movies.

Watched the British movie.."45 Years" starring Charlotte Rampling and Tom Courtenay. A master class of acting but the screenplay is flawed. I don't think it did justice to the original short story.

Just watched it myself and while, as you noted, the acting was top notch, somehow the story didn't really carry the movie. Also, it was very sad in a very subtle way - on the surface it was normal sad, but at one level deeper, it offered up an overwhelming sadness.

Just watched it myself and while, as you noted, the acting was top notch, somehow the story didn't really carry the movie. Also, it was very sad in a very subtle way - on the surface it was normal sad, but at one level deeper, it offered up an overwhelming sadness.
Yes, my wife was affected deeply and was down much of the next day. It did not affect me as much as I had a hard time identifying with either of the characters. I think the writer or director just missed filling in the blanks. Did not get Kate's strong reaction....did not seem to fit or be proportionate. He acted congruently with the events but hers were an extreme over reaction.

Yes, my wife was affected deeply and was down much of the next day. It did not affect me as much as I had a hard time identifying with either of the characters. I think the writer or director just missed filling in the blanks. Did not get Kate's strong reaction....did not seem to fit or be proportionate. He acted congruently with the events but hers were an extreme over reaction.

Whether true or not, I think Kate believes the she just discovered that her husband loved the woman he was going to marry before her (who died before he could) more than her and this makes her feel angry / hurt / cheated / unloved / less-loved / as if her 45 years were a lie or, at minimum, adulterated.

He seems non-plussed about it all - you can't tell if he really feels the way Kate thinks he does - I kind of think he does, but also he probably realizes that an idealized youthful love that has been untested by time and life's trials is an unfair comparison to a successful real-life-messy marriage of 45 years.

While cliched, the juxtaposition with the 45th anniversary party made it more poignant and painful for Kate. But still, the story just didn't rise to its premise or the the outstanding acting.

Last edited:
Whether true or not, I think Kate believes the she just discovered that her husband loved the woman he was going to marry before her (who died before he could) more than her and this makes her feel angry / hurt / cheated / unloved / less-loved / as if her 45 years were a lie or, at minimum, adulterated.

He seems non-plussed about it all - you can't tell if he really feels the way Kate thinks he does - I kind of think he does, but also he probably realizes that an idealized youthful love that has been untested by time and life's trails is an unfair comparison to a successful real-life-messy marriage of 45 years.

While cliched, the juxtaposition with the 45th anniversary party made it more poignant and painful for Kate. But still, the story just didn't rise to its premise or the the outstanding acting.

Well articulated, thank you.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Two films this weekend, one old, one new:

Risen (2016): Joseph Fiennes plays a Roman tribune in 33 AD Jerusalem, detailed by Pontius Pilate with finding the vanished body of the Jewish troublemaker Yeshua crucified 3 days before. A detective story but also a faith-based tale in which the costumes, sets, and scenery are top-notch and really make you believe this is how it would have been 2000 years ago. There are even touches of humor. Disciple Bartholomew has a hard time containing his joy that his Master has risen; and much later in the story, two of the disciples are walking back from proselytizing villagers by the Sea of Galilee. One praises the other for his neat phrasing, and the praised disciple smiles and says, "I think I'll use that one again!" Good job.

The original 3:10 to Yuma (1957), with Glenn Ford cast against type as the antagonist, robber chieftain Ben Wade, and Van Heflin as a sturdy rancher and family man who needs $200 and so agrees to bring Wade to the law in Yuma, AZ. A beautiful B & W film, with a likeable antagonist and steadily increasing tension. I'm not sure if I understand why things play out at the film's climax, but it's nice to see a Western end with something other than a shootout. One of Elmore Leonard's first stories to be adapted to film.

green papaya

One Too Many
Ive been finding lots of classic movies at the Antique mall on dvd , I watched a movie called "CITY FOR CONQUEST" starring James Cagney as a boxer from NYC , theatrical released in 1940 B&W

excellent movie!

2016-06-20_155921.jpg

Watched "The Martian" last night. I surprised myself by liking it. I am a movie snob of the worst sort and stay away from the usual Hollywood offerings but this one was enjoyable and Damon was very watchable.

Laura with Gene Tierney and Dana Andrews. Easily in my top 5 favorite films of all time. I've watched it so many times that I almost have it memorized. :D

I think I remember the last time you watched and posted about it. Hey, no "rocks out of glass houses" here, I have seen "The Uninvited," "Separate Tables," "Suspicion" and a few others more times than any human being should. And "Laura" four or five times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred