Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

greatestescaper

One of the Regulars
I've been thinking of giving Victor Frankenstein a watch. Tonight the wife and I watched Videodrome. I'm not really sure how I feel... It is one of the weirdest films I have ever seen, though admittedly I have seen far worse films to their conclusion.

...Tonight the wife and I watched Videodrome. I'm not really sure how I feel... It is one of the weirdest films I have ever seen, though admittedly I have seen far worse films to their conclusion.
I saw that once, and that single viewing was more than enough. I've since come to the conclusion that I don't particularly care for most of David Cronenberg's movies.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I saw that once, and that single viewing was more than enough. I've since come to the conclusion that I don't particularly care for most of David Cronenberg's movies.

As a Canadian we're obliged by Canadian content laws to watch and enjoy his films. Who doesn't own Naked Lunch on DVD and also have a live beetle typewriter?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
David Cronenberg is a unique filmmaker. I don't like all of his films, but some (The Dead Zone, The Fly, Dead Ringers, Naked Lunch, etc.) are masterpieces. And I think his more recent run of less-body-horror, more mainstream films are all excellent - A History of Violence, Eastern Promises, A Dangerous Method, etc.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
' Great Guns' (1941).....I love Laurel & hardy but this movie is kinda sad as not only are the comic duo well past their best but they just aren't funny in this film. I don't blame them (well, a little), it's because the script & scenario are pretty bland like a lot of family comedies produced at the time & L&H are acting out of character most of the time & trying too hard to be funny with unfunny material. The film does have 3 attractions however, firstly, the cinematography & high production values....this movie is slick & looks fantastic.....secondly, Sheila Ryan who is as fresh & beautiful as a rose caught in the first rays of the morning sun & thirdly, it's a campaign hat fest, on heads, hanging on walls, they are everywhere. :)
I wouldn't class this as a 'Laurel & Hardy' movie (as they're more like secondary figures at the service of everything else going on) but as a gentle comedy with L&H.....nuance.

Last edited:

green papaya

One Too Many
WAR DOGS (1942) a semi documentary style film about the recruiting and training of dogs of war during WW2

Attachments

• 2016-10-15_013357.jpg
    2016-10-15_013357.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 92

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Tetro, a Francis Ford Coppola film from a few years ago - 90% of it in stunning b/w. In present-day South America, two damaged brothers - sons of a world-famous German conductor - attempt to reconcile after many years apart. Talk about a dysfunctional family! Not great, but it's very watchable, with gorgeous b/w cinematography.

Tetro, a Francis Ford Coppola film from a few years ago - 90% of it in stunning b/w. In present-day South America, two damaged brothers - sons of a world-famous German conductor - attempt to reconcile after many years apart. Talk about a dysfunctional family! Not great, but it's very watchable, with gorgeous b/w cinematography.
I have thought about watching it off and on over the past few years. Now, at some point, I will. Thanks for the review. :D

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010). It's not as good as the original, but Jackie Earle Haley gives a superb performance as Freddy.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Thunderbirds (2004) Since I have never watched the TV series, I just could not relate. From the little I have seen, the puppets were better actors! :D

Thunderbirds (2004) Since I have never watched the TV series, I just could not relate. From the little I have seen, the puppets were better actors! :D
People who watched the TV series could not relate either. It seems someone at Universal decided at some point during the movie's development that it should be a "kid's movie", and the writing reflected that. Director Jonathan Frakes took the heat for the movie's poor reception and disastrous box office take, but he must have known it was going to be a turkey while they were filming it because in one of the Behind The Scenes features on the DVD he says something to the effect of, "I gave Universal the movie they wanted," with a grin on his face that said, "Yeah, I know it's bad, but it's not my fault."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW