Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

madame babette

New in Town
"The Best Man". 1964 political movie with Henry Fonda and Cliff Robertson. Interesting fictional movie about behind the scenes the election of the nominee for President. Surprisingly adult themes for 1964, if you read between the lines. Worth seeing, especially at this time of year.

And guys, you get to see Edie Adams prancing around in a tight slip, so worth watching for that alone.

"The Best Man". 1964 political movie with Henry Fonda and Cliff Robertson. Interesting fictional movie about behind the scenes the election of the nominee for President. Surprisingly adult themes for 1964, if you read between the lines. Worth seeing, especially at this time of year.

And guys, you get to see Edie Adams prancing around in a tight slip, so worth watching for that alone.

I liked her as the mainly sane, but sometimes just-a-bit-sucked-into-the-craziness wife in "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World."

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Dreck, unsatisfying as both an Austen adaptation (though it did try) and the usual zombie-killing spree. I gave it a chance because (to my surprise) I had kind of liked Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter, but it wasn't nearly as much fun.

Dr. Dolittle. The '67 version, with Rex Harrison

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

From what I've read, Rex Harrison was an *ss in real life, but I find him really enjoyable as an actor. He's very comfortable in his roles and that somehow makes me relax watching him.

And for me, it's not "Dr. Dolittle" or "My Fair Lady," but "The Ghost and Mrs Muir" and the not-famous "Night Train to Munich" that are my favorite Harrison movies.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Must Love Dogs. Cute, but mostly forgettable chick flick.

This weekend daughter and I are going to see the premiere of Doctor Strange. Really looking forward to it.

Silence of the Lambs.

Guess ya had to be there at the time. Meh. I've seen far creepier things since.
Pretty much, yes. It's a bit like watching a movie like Frankenstein today and wondering how people in 1931 could possibly have found it so horrifying that they got ill, passed out, or left the theater. The simple answer is that they hadn't seen anything like it before.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
We recorded the new made for tv remake of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. I think they subtitled it Let's Do the Time Warp Again or something.

An. Absolute. Train wreck.

It looked like it'd been filmed on a camcorder (but had a 20 million dollar budget), Brad and Janet were forgettable, was surprised that Laverne Cox was disappointing, as was Reeve Carney, and poor Tim Curry got dragged in, still obviously affected by the stroke he suffered. I hope 18 of the 20 million went to him at least.

skydog757

A-List Customer
Silence of the Lambs.

Guess ya had to be there at the time. Meh. I've seen far creepier things since.

I read a review of Silence that pointed out that they felt that it was a treatsie on how women were treated (or how isolated they felt) working in a male dominated career field like the FBI. I re-watched it from that perspective and found it to be a different movie altogether. Clarice is either being hit on, intimidated or condescended to by nearly every male character in the film (she is the only major female character, other than the victims). People tend to focus on the Hannibal Lecter character and the bloody action scenes, but the movie works on many levels.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein from 1948. It was the first "horror" film or monster film I ever saw, way back when I was 8 or 9 (no, not in 1948), and it prepared me for the release of the Aurora monster models right around that same time. The film is still effective in its own way, even if, like me, you've outgrown A & C's shtick. You get Lon Chaney as his iconic character, Larry Talbot, and Lugosi himself as the King Vampire. Dracula changes from a bat, and at the climax into a bat, in a grand animated sequence. And there was this funny dialogue exchange:

Chick (Bud Abbott): We went out with those two girls last week, didn't we? Didn't I let you have one?
Wilbur (Lou Costello): Yours had teeth.
Chick: Oh, come on, yours had a tooth.
Wilbur: Yeah, I saw her tooth. She had so much bridgework, every time I went to kiss her, I had to pay a toll.

The Monster (1925). A meek clerk (Johnny Arthur) doubles as an amateur detective when a local man goes missing, and matches wits in a remote mental sanitarium with Dr. Ziska (Lon Chaney Sr.). Regarded by many as the first "mad doctor" movie, it's more of a comedic mystery thriller than a horror movie. Johnny Arthur, arguably best known for playing Darla Hood's father in the Our Gang shorts, specialized in playing timid characters and he's at the top of his game in this one.

skydog757

A-List Customer
Back to the Future (1985) Caught the last half on TNT or some other cable network . . . I was really touched by the depth of the friendship between Marty and Doc and I had forgotten how much fun that I had watching that in the theater when it was released. The only knock I would have is the very end when Doc comes back from the future and whisks Marty off with him. At the time, I thought "Great! They're implying that the two of them continue on further adventures together"; I now know that they were only setting it up for sequels and I hate such naked marketing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner