Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Towards The Unknown (1956) Nice to see some of the fabulous 50s airplanes. A little sad to see the Bell Aircraft hanger! I know, the live on as Bell Helicopters, just not the same.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The McConnell Story (1955) The story of Joseph C. McConnell, top American ace of the Korean war. Sad that he died exactly the same as Dick Bong Americas top WWII ace! He went up the hard way, started as an Airman in the Medical Corp. They didn't even try to be accurate back then, a C-47 drops off Army Air Corp navigators in 1942, resplendent in white & silver with USAF under the wing.

Not a bad movie, but the not-original version, but base-on-the-same-subject 1946 movie "The Blue Dahlia" is outstanding noir. And while it didn't start out this way, it has become my favorite Ladd-Lake teaming (just nudging out "This Gun for Hire" and "The Glass Key").
The Blue Dahlia is much better. The first time around watching The Black Dahlia, I thought it was okay. Having now read the book and many years since the first viewing, my opinion has changed. Some really bad acting or more likely directing along with some cheese kept me bored and disappointed throughout.
:D

Hollywoodland
Seen it many times and still much better than the two stars it was given.
Has a nice feel and look to it.
Adrien Brody is perfect for the role.
Yes, Affleck is in it, but he does no harm to it.
Good little under appreciated movie.

Hollywoodland
Seen it many times and still much better than the two stars it was given.
Has a nice feel and look to it.
Adrien Brody is perfect for the role.
Yes, Affleck is in it, but he does no harm to it.
Good little under appreciated movie.
Sure, if you can overlook the fact that Bruce Wayne is having an affair with Superman's mom. :eek:

But seriously, I think Affleck is the only actor who has played both Superman and Batman in movies.

"Mr Church" I have no idea how I missed this outstanding movie until now.

Set in the '70s, Eddie Murphy plays a cook hired by a dying woman's former illicit lover to help her and her daughter until she passes away. I was unimpressed with the plot when I read about the movie, but the positive ratings and Eddie Murphy were just enough to get me to give it a a shot and it was well worth it.

So ignore the plot details and make your decision based on if you like character-driven, real-to-life stories that have no big-time action scenes, but draw you further and further in as you care more and more about the characters, their struggles and triumphs. To be sure, this one sways a bit close to being Hallmark-like, but never goes fully over to that trite side.

Saw about a half hour of "Legend of the Fall" a few nights ago - darn fine movie. I caught the part where Brad Pitt's character is in the trenches of WWI basically doing more than is humanly possible to try to keep his brother alive. If I ever have to go to war (and we know this country is in trouble if they call on my broken-down 52 year old body to man the parapets of freedom), I want someone like that looking out for me.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Mr Church" I have no idea how I missed this outstanding movie until now.

Set in the '70s, Eddie Murphy plays a cook hired by a dying woman's former illicit lover to help her and her daughter until she passes away. I was unimpressed with the plot when I read about the movie, but the positive ratings and Eddie Murphy were just enough to get me to give it a a shot and it was well worth it.

So ignore the plot details and make your decision based on if you like character-driven, real-to-life stories that have no big-time action scenes, but draw you further and further in as you care more and more about the characters, their struggles and triumphs. To be sure, this one sways a bit close to being Hallmark-like, but never goes fully over to that trite side.

I've been considering this for a while. Thanks for the review. I'll definitely watch this one.

Worf

I've been considering this for a while. Thanks for the review. I'll definitely watch this one.

Worf

I was really careful not to give any of the story away, so I won't here, but Murphy, IMHO, kills it in this movie - he shows real acting chops. As noted, it gets a bit sappy in spots, but overall, holds its head up high as a narrative-driven movie. I look forward to your thoughts after you see it.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The fascinating HBO documentary Underfire: The Untold Story of Pfc. Tony Vaccaro. The incredible true story of a WWII GI who did the whole Band of Brothers experience, Omaha Beach to Germany... and photographed all of it while actively engaged in battle, shooting thousands of 35mm negatives with an Argus C3. And he's still here today, mind and body still sharp, revisiting the sites of his photos. His pictures capture the ground-level GI experience of the war in remarkable detail... and he's also a very skilled photographer generally: his portraits and found images are great. Highly recommended for WWII buffs, photography geeks, and, really, anybody:

http://tonyvaccarofilm.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner