Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

basbol13

A-List Customer
I'm on a classic western kick... except that I generally avoid Spaghetti westerns; to me, they represent a turning point from grand, idealized fun to a more cynical, nihilistic outlook.

I'll be watching John Ford's Cheyenne Autumn in the next few days. I understand it didn't do too well at the box office, but it looks pretty interesting.

It's got a lot of big time actors, I personally like Richard Widmark and Carroll Baker so I really liked the movie. The only problem I had with the film was with Sal Mineo, I kept seeing him as "Plato" and kept waiting for Jim Stark (James Dean) to tell me that he had the bullets and the gun wasn't loaded. Otherwise, it's a decent film worth watching.

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
Currently watching All About Eve on TCM. Betty Davis is so amazing in this.
One of my all time favorites. Margo Channing is a character who is supposed to be over the top, and Bette sells it completely. The shots of New York are peek into the past.
I think I've mentioned this a long time before, but years ago just before kick off at UCLA football games they would run a montage of old movie clips up on the jumbotron with a lot of charged up dialogue and quips, including "Fasten your seatbelt, it's going to be a bumpy night."

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Bullitt (1968)

The '68 Mustang GT & '68 Dodge Charger car chase set the style for dozens of cop
films to come.

But for my money, I'll take the green VW Beetle.
346norp.jpg

I counted several times in which both cars had to pass the beetle.
Now that's speed!
2z8n32t.jpg

Bullitt (1968)

The '68 Mustang GT & '68 Dodge Charger car chase set the style for dozens of cop
films to come.

346norp.jpg

Now that's speed!
2z8n32t.jpg
Either there were a whole lot of green Beetles in San Francisco in 1968, or that guy really got around!

If it was offered to me I'd happily take that Beetle, but the Mustang would be my first choice.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
'An eye for an eye' (1981) .....Whilst my little grey cells were 'au repos' I accidently fell upon this cruising TouYube. The usual crap; bad acting, lame fight scenes & a ridiculous scenario but....a clean shaven Chuck, Christopher Lee & Richard Roundtree ( they were both pretty bad :rolleyes:) & the 80's, yes; the 80's....difficult to resist on a dull saturday evening.

...If it was offered to me I'd happily take that Beetle, but the Mustang would be my first choice.

I'd love a Beetle, but darn straight, if the choice is that or a '68 Fastback Mustang, well, Hitler's people's car can wait. And if I could actually get the one McQueen drove...I'll just repeat something I know I posted earlier:

Given the choice of living a full, content life, hopefully, making some positive contribution to my family, friends and community versus spending one day of my life being as cool as Steve McQueen is in "Bullitt* and then dying," I very much doubt I'd make the adult decision.

* For all this talk about artificial intelligence and computers adapting to their environment, mine never seems to realize that (sadly, pathetically) I write about "Bullitt" the movie all the time as it tries, every single time, to change the word to "bullet."

Last edited:
Bullitt (1968)

films to come.

346norp.jpg

Now that's speed!
2z8n32t.jpg
It is the first of the "fake" beetles.....anything post 1967 is a downmarket beetle when they tried to jazz them up to enlarge their appeal. To me the 1967 was the finest of the beetles but then you would have the crowd that eschews anything past the first gen split windows models. I still miss my dark blue '67 that I rescued from a farmer's field. Scrapped it when the motor mounts rusted out.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
It is the first of the "fake" beetles.....anything post 1967 is a downmarket beetle when they tried to jazz them up to enlarge their appeal. To me the 1967 was the finest of the beetles but then you would have the crowd that eschews anything past the first gen split windows models. I still miss my dark blue '67 that I rescued from a farmer's field. Scrapped it when the motor mounts rusted out.

And new replacement bumpers
for 60s beetles from "brazil"
are excellent.

For about one year only. :(

And new replacement bumpers
for 60s beetles from "brazil"
are excellent.

For about one year only. :(
Towards the end of its life my '67 was replete with Brazilian & Mexican made parts. It was all that was available but I did not own it long enough to experience any failures....esp with the brake cylinders

basbol13

A-List Customer
I'd love a Beetle, but darn straight, if the choice is that or a '68 Fastback Mustang, well, Hitler's people's car can wait. And if I could actually get the one McQueen drove...I'll just repeat something I know I posted earlier:

Given the choice of living a full, content life, hopefully, making some positive contribution to my family, friends and community versus spending one day of my life being as cool as Steve McQueen is in "Bullitt* and then dying," I very much doubt I'd make the adult decision.

* For all this talk about artificial intelligence and computers adapting to their environment, mine never seems to realize that (sadly, pathetically) I write about "Bullitt" the movie all the time as it tries, every single time, to change the word to "bullet."

I really enjoyed the chase scene and the cars. The only problem I had was with the sound FX. There was a lot of shifting especially on the highway really not realistic. Also, how can you shift an automatic Charger on the highway? Guess they make them cars differently in California?
A little side note Bill Hickman (driver of the Charger) was the top stunt driver in Hollywood at the time. If you've seen the movie "The Seven Ups" he is also the driver Roy Schieder is chasing. Again a lot of shifting with automatics.
In the French Connection BH had a great line: "Last time you were dead certain we had a dead cop".

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
^^^^^
First time I watched it at the base theater years ago & ever since.
I've had the same thought about the gear-shifting sounds in the
chase sequence.
I attribute it to McQueen's coolness who could get away with
anything.

Last edited:
When I was involved in the VW "scene" in the late-70s the '67 was the most desired year among aficionados here in California, and no one wanted one that was newer than that. There were those "purists" who insisted a "split" or "oval" window was the only body style worth owning, but even then those cars were hard to find and a "fixer upper" went for top dollar.

Towards the end of its life my '67 was replete with Brazilian & Mexican made parts. It was all that was available but I did not own it long enough to experience any failures....esp with the brake cylinders
The quality of those Brazilian and Mexican reproduction parts varied, but at least they were available, comparatively inexpensive, and good for someone restoring their Beetle on a budget. My last Beetle was a '63, and I had every intention of restoring it properly so I avoided those "cheap" reproduction parts as much as possible. But that notion was put to the test when I spent $90 for a pair of "new old stock" windshield wiper arms. And that was in the early-90s; I'd hate to see what those parts would sell for now.

basbol13

A-List Customer
When I was involved in the VW "scene" in the late-70s the '67 was the most desired year among aficionados here in California, and no one wanted one that was newer than that. There were those "purists" who insisted a "split" or "oval" window was the only body style worth owning, but even then those cars were hard to find and a "fixer upper" went for top dollar.

The quality of those Brazilian and Mexican reproduction parts varied, but at least they were available, comparatively inexpensive, and good for someone restoring their Beetle on a budget. My last Beetle was a '63, and I had every intention of restoring it properly so I avoided those "cheap" reproduction parts as much as possible. But that notion was put to the test when I spent $90 for a pair of "new old stock" windshield wiper arms. And that was in the early-90s; I'd hate to see what those parts would sell for now.

Some little known "Beetle" history

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Arrival - a surprisingly intelligent SF film about first contact with non-humanoid aliens, with Amy Adams as the linguist tasked with communicating with them. Very well done, and its big plot twist totally threw me.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy