Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

2002's "The Emperor's Club"
  • Nice to see one of these elitist old-boy-school movies not pivot on a racist / sexists / religious prejudice plot line as so many (rightfully, but predictably) do
  • Instead, the conflict is the morality of cheating and, a bit more broadly, the value of a traditional Western Civilization eduction with its emphasis on learning The Classics as a way to an enlightened and ethical life
  • The drama plays out between a devoted teacher (Kevin Kline doing some of the best acting of his career) and rebellious and, even more so, morally unprincipled student who is the son of a US Senator (a subtle echo to the Roman Senate and its ideals versus the slippery US Senator seen here)
    • Effectively, is a life of morality, integrity, honesty, fair play an end unto itself, or is winning at any almost any cost, playing at the margins, manipulating the system the way to win in a world in which many of the "winners" do?
  • I'll avoid any spoilers as I would heartily encourage anyone who hasn't to see the movie, but in the current age - where it is vogue in some circles to dismiss a Western Civ education as antiquated or, worse, reflecting a morally corrupt system of privilege - it is emboldening to see an argument for Western Civ's timeless values and respect for its place as the foundation of our Republic
  • From a time-travel / Fedora-Lounge eye candy perspective, the story takes place in 1976, so it's well past our sweet spot, but the school itself is a feast of iconic prep school classical architecture inside and out
  • While there's some forced dialogue, undeveloped early plot lines and a contrived ending, the movie is still a nice, older-style, story driven movie that keeps you engaged throughout and rooting for the good guys to win

Last edited:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Good flick... though it's now kinda hard to accept Jesse Eisenberg growing up to become Patrick Dempsey!

BTW, the school exteriors were shot at the gorgeous Emma Williard School campus in Troy, NY. I used to drive past regularly when my son was going to RPI.

Good flick... though it's now kinda hard to accept Jesse Eisenberg growing up to become Patrick Dempsey!

BTW, the school exteriors were shot at the gorgeous Emma Williard School campus in Troy, NY. I used to drive past regularly when my son was going to RPI.

My girlfriend was a bit disappointed in Mr. Dempsey's goofiness in this movie as she's a big fan of his now.

That's funny on the school as the "club" where the adult Mr. Caesar contest was held is actually a place I've been to in Saratoga Springs called the Gideon Putnam Hotel. The architecture of the hotel and, really, all of Saratoga Springs is outstanding.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Shenandoah. I used to be BIG into the American Civil War, but of course, WWII has overtaken it now. But I never did see this movie while I was in my Civil War phase. I wish I would have. Regardless, it's a terrific movie and I love Jimmy Stewart's role as the patriarch of the Virginia family.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
It points up that Spielberg's skill with actors is often underrated. So much concentration on his use of special effects, Disney-esque manipulation of audience sympathy, still working out his parents' divorce in his films, aping John Ford and other Hollywood icons, etc. But the three-men-in-a-boat last act of Jaws works so well because it's so well acted, with Shaw's spellbinding USS Indianapolis speech being the highlight.

This was Richard Burton tribute week on TCM and watched "The VIP's" and "The Sandpipers" last night. LIz was not just mediocre but downright terrible as an actress.....laughable in many of the scenes. Burton is marginally better, at least not laughable. Have not watched Taylor since "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof". She was better in that one but Newman still acted circles around her. I realize that the style of acting has evolved but I think by any standard I will say that Taylor was little more than a pretty face and even by the mid 60's was looking more and more like a faded ingenue' .

Jaws

Love this flick. Robert Shaw us geniuis. Great character chemistry between all three men.
Jaws became one of my all-time favorite movies the first time I saw it back in 1975, and I long ago lost track of the number of times I've seen it; over 100, at least. It's not a perfect movie, but it was a perfect storm of sorts--a combination of elements both positive and negative (or perceived as such at the time) that made it what it is.

This was Richard Burton tribute week on TCM and watched "The VIP's" and "The Sandpipers" last night. LIz was not just mediocre but downright terrible as an actress.....laughable in many of the scenes. Burton is marginally better, at least not laughable. Have not watched Taylor since "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof". She was better in that one but Newman still acted circles around her. I realize that the style of acting has evolved but I think by any standard I will say that Taylor was little more than a pretty face and even by the mid 60's was looking more and more like a faded ingenue' .

The entire "Elizabeth Taylor" thing has always passed me by. An okay, no more, actress. And while she had a brief moment of kinda classic beauty, the drinking, (wouldn't doubt) drugs and general hard living gave her, IMHO, a haggard look very quickly in here career.

And this is not a women-and-age thing as many female stars age wonderfully and gracefully like Katherine Hepburn and many men do not. I think Taylor was an early example of a star's private life eclipsing, but also fueling, her public life and career. Had she not had all the Burton and other drama, I think she would have faded quickly.

Last edited:

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I was much more entertained by Rod Taylor and Maggie Smith in The VIPs than I was by Burton and Liz.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Most recent film watched: The Girl on the Train. Not a bad thriller, with a good surprise at the climax. I noticed that in his score, Danny Elfman used some of the same jangling, discordant piano notes at critical suspense moments as Henry Mancini did for Wait Until Dark back in 1967. Fifty years on, that one is still memorable.

Confusing, though, that the producers cast two women who resemble each other quite a bit. Their characters are supposed to do that -- though there is no substitution ploy involved -- but the resemblance was so close I had trouble telling them apart at first.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Yes, I surprised myself that I had forgotten that Maggie Smith was ever young and pretty.
I knew her name when she was younger, when she did The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (which, however, I have never seen). But I was not really aware of her until Murder by Death, a good 13 years after The VIPs.

Stormy

A-List Customer
Saw "I Am Not Your Negro" on Saturday night. Wonderful docufilm, and I recommend this one. But, the only thing new that I learned from the film was something a bit scandalous about Doris Day, one of my all time favourites ☺

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy