Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Yul Brynner with hair...SPOILER WARNING

Port of New York (1949) with Yul, Scott Brady, and the upcoming "new Humphrey Bogart": Richard Rober. For a low-budget film, not bad, with actual locales of San Francisco and New York helping to give it that noir look. Brynner's first role, and a good one that that. Unconventional, too [SPOILER HERE], in that one of the principal's gets killed 2/3 into the film.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
MadelienneBlack said:
I just recently saw "The Wackness" starring Ben Kingsley and Josh Peck. I have to admit, for a film set in in the 1994 revolving around a teenage drug dealer and his psychologist, I enjoyed it.

I got mad love for you shorty.

ImmortalChaos

New in Town
deadpandiva said:
:eek:fftopic: I love your Avatar and Signature. Virginia is my favorite.
Thousands Cheer

:eek:fftopic: I love Virginia, she's one of my biggest influences and my favourite as well. She had it all going for her. I like your signature, thats my favourite song of hers, that and Life upon the Wicked Stage

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I picked up a Turner Classic Movie edition of "Double Indemnity".
I had never seen it until tonight. This movie is really good, I was very surprised at how good the whole thing was. The story, the acting...
And of course the hats! If you haven't seen this one, its a must see.

Beowulf67

One of the Regulars
Heavens Fall

Right now the Movie Channel is showing Heavens Fall. It's about the lawyer from New York that came to Alabama to defend the Scottsboro Boys. It's set in 1933 and most of it takes place in Decatur, AL which is about 10 minutes from where I live.
For FL purposes, the movie has a wide array of styles from fancy suits to overalls and everything in between along with a plethora of hats.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We're currently showing "Before The Rains", a steamy drama of forbidden passion and betrayal set in 1937 India. The plot is nothing special -- British planter falls in love with his Indian servant -- but the execution is quite well done. However, there are some real howlers in the "period" setting -- the planter drives a Willys Jeep truck manufactured around 1950, another character drives a thinly-disguised military Jeep, and the planter's wife sports a long, straight hairstyle far more rooted in 2007 than 1937. Could have used a technical consultant, but still worth seeing if it plays your local indie house.

Hondo

One Too Many
Cecil B. DeMille's "Four Frightened People" 1934

Four Frightened People (1934), starring Claudette Colbert as one of the four characters shipwrecked on a remote Malay island (filmed at Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa, in Hawaii) and forced to fend for themselves. It's a not to be taken too seriously but frequently amusing, comical adventure, with Colbert's uptight schoolmarm growing sexier and less inhibited with each passing scene, catch the water fall bath scene. :rolleyes:

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I went to see 'Hellboy II' yesterday. A good script, lots of wry humor and spectacular special effects made it one entertaining flick. I highly recommend it. :eusa_clap And it left an ending that certainly tells me there will be a 'Hellboy III!'

Hondo

One Too Many
Cecil B. DeMille's "Sign of the Cross" 1932

As you can guess I have The Cecil B. DeMille Collection (Cleopatra/ The Crusades/ Four Frightened People/ Sign of the Cross/ Union Pacific) (1939) 5 DVD's that are described some of DeMillies best, I actually got this set for Cleopatra & The Crusaders which I'll see in the coming weeks.
Sign of the Cross was a little better, got to remember this is 1932.
Claudette Colbert's a beauty, cute lol
Note: Frederic March as Marcus Superbus (Super bus?)
IMDb review:
The Sign of the Cross (1932) is quintessential De Mille, now famous for its pre-Code (i.e. pre-censorship) scene of peep-show nudity as Claudette Colbert (playing Poppaea, wife of Charles Laughton's Roman emperor Nero) takes a tantalizing bath in goat's milk, daring DVD viewers to freeze-frame "the naughty bits" while Roman prefect Marcus (Frederic March) struggles to reconcile his loyalty to Rome with his forbidden love for the Christian maiden Mercia (Elissa Landi), who's destined for the lion's den. Full of outrageous spectacle (including dwarves in the Roman arena), this blood-and-guts epic is pure De Mille.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Infamous, the other Truman-Capote-and-Harper-Lee-go-to-Kansas-to-research-In-Cold-Blood film that came out a few months after Capote.

Frankly, I think I like this one better than the other one, not that I have a problem with Phillip Seymour Hoffman having gotten the Oscar for Capote. I'd say that the two films, which take pretty different approaches to the same story, complement each other nicely.

In Infamous, Toby Jones is very, very good as Truman Capote, and the supporting cast is outstanding - Sandra Bullock (excellent as Lee, underplaying with none of her usual mannerisms), Jeff Daniels, Sigourney Weaver, Juliet Stevenson, Hope Davis, Gwyneth Paltrow (in an arresting opening-scene cameo as a sultry saloon singer), and an especially impressive Daniel Craig as killer Perry Smith.

But to really judge, I think I have to see Capote again. Apart from Hoffman's portrayal being riveting, I can't recall much about it...

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Gattaca

Quite interesting setting, a lot of suspense, interesting ideas, and beautifully filmed, but the ending lacked a little...

gattaca.jpg

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
The last movie that i watched ( and recorded) was "Paris Belongs To Us" (1960) on cable TV.
Since French New Wave movies are among my favorites and i hadn't seen this one before, i was absolutely ecstatic :D :eusa_clap

Cricket

Practically Family
Lulu-in-Ny said:
Just watched Cinderella Man for about the hundredth time, and I'm still on the edge of my seat throughout the entire Baer fight every time I watch it...

Love it! I am the same way. I might pop some corn and watch it again tonight.

But last night, I watched "The Body Snatcher" on TCM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany