Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
"What's the rumpus?"

I first saw Miller's Crossing years ago, and liked it, but sort of forgot about it.

But in the last month, with it constantly playing on a bunch of cable stations, I have watched it again (all the way through twice, plus big chunks of it several times)... and I now love it. I think it's right up there along with Road To Perdition as the best thirties gangster films of the last twenty years.

It's definitely become one of my favorite Coen Brothers films. I admire them enormously for consistently doing unusual stuff, but I don't always like their films. Their movies are always well made and interesting... but I love some (Blood Simple, Fargo, The Hudsucker Proxy, The Big Lebowski, O Brother Where Art Thou) and am indifferent to others (Raising Arizona, Barton Fink, Intolerable Cruelty, No Country For Old Men, Burn After Reading).

I am definitely looking forward seeing to their new, more autobiographical one, A Serious Man, especially because - like the Coens - I was a Jewish kid in the 1960s and I suspect that I will really relate to it.

Mike1939

One of the Regulars
Christy said:
I agree, I think he did an excellent job capturing that small town feeling. I love how TCM gives an introduction to movies, because I found it really interesting that he had Thornton Wilder write the screenplay because of how he captured small town life in Our Town. I would have never known that without TCM. lol

Joseph Cotten was definitely charmingly evil! I thought the roles were really well cast.

I had only seen one other Hitchcock movie before this, Dial M for Murder. I thought it was okay, not my favorite movie, but I really enjoyed Shadow of a Doubt, I'd watch it again.

I envy you getting to see Hitchcock's movies for the first time. If I may be so bold.....Here are a few of my favorites that I highly recommend.

The 39 Steps (1935)
The Lady Vanishes (1938)
Rebecca (1940)
Suspicion (1941)
Saboteur (1942)
Notorious (1946)
Rear Window (1954)
North by Northwest (1959)

Christy

One of the Regulars
Mike1939, Thank you for the suggestions, I have been building a list of movies to see so I will add these on there. I think I'd enjoy them. I've been meaning to watch Rear Window, but I missed it when it was on TCM.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mr. Romero's classic, The Crazies.

Im gearing up for the remake, a remake that actually looks good. I love a good horror movie. The original was more about the incompetence of planing for an epidemic than horror, or perhaps as Romero always puts it, that is the *real* horror. Im sure the remake wont be that deep.

LD

Feraud

Bartender
High Pockets said:
Miller's Crossing,......another Coen brother's gem.
If you have yet to enjoy this masterpiece, please take the time some day to sit back and watch a real gangster movie. You'll be glad you did.

Miller's Crossing never gets old. :eusa_clap

mannySpaghetti

One of the Regulars
I watched "Scarface" last night before I went to bed. I can't get enough of the old gangster classics. So much so, I bought "Key Largo" starring Bogey, Lauren Bacal, and Edward G. Robinson as well as "The Petrified Forest" starring Bogey again and Bette Davis, just the other day. Get me!?
two-guns.gif

scarfaceposter.jpg

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
mannySpaghetti said:
I watched "Scarface" last night before I went to bed. I can't get enough of the old gangster classics. So much so, I bought "Key Largo" starring Bogey, Lauren Bacal, and Edward G. Robinson as well as "The Petrified Forest" starring Bogey again and Bette Davis, just the other day.

Manny- I watch all those movies over and over. I got my wife to watch "Key Largo" for the first time last week, she loved it! "The Petrified Forest" is a longtime fave as well.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Clive of India, with Ronald Coleman and Loretta Young. To keep costs down, the battle scenes were mentioned only in cutaways to text on a parchment-looking background. However, there is a scene with "battle elephants" that is astonishing. Real elephants wearing armor, charging the British troops. No CGI here, it's the real thing.

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
Nancy Drew; Reporter. My daughter loves this series and never has to ask twice for me to join her. Original 30s version with Bonita Granville and John Litel. Really great stuff!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GilbertHit