Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

SayCici

Practically Family
I wish I had a DVR to record those movies that get aired so early, but luckily I have Netflix.

I last caught the tail ends of The Shop Around the Corner, which has inspired me to have a mini-marathon of James Stewart movies available instantly on Netflix. Also A Letter for Evie.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Away We Go

Picture7.png

A couple in their early 30s expecting their first child visit friends and family all over the country to see where they want to settle down.
It has an amazing ensemble cast. Very funny and just delightful :)

LD

Wolfen

One of the Regulars
Just finished watching "The Shadow" with Alec Baldwin. I love the visuals in this movie, especially the costumes. Followed that up with "Bugsy Malone."

funneman

Practically Family
Street Scene 1931

I stumbled on what seems to be a rare showing of this film on TCM over the weekend.

A story of life on a New York street.

Some pretty heavy topics were addressed, infidelity, racial stereotypes, etc.

One thing caught me quite off guard. There's a woman who comes home after a night of drinking and it appears that she is not wearing a bra. I
would almost go as far as to say it's quite obvious.

I seem to remember seeing a film from the early '30s where Carole Lombard
was also....."free."

This got me to thinking:

A-Was this just my imagination?
B-Was this pre-code and done on purpose, or to paint this woman as "easy"?
C-Were there certain actresses (Lombard) who were known for appearing this way?

I would love to hear some opinions on this, but please, let's keep it on a mature level.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
funneman said:
I stumbled on what seems to be a rare showing of this film on TCM over the weekend.

A story of life on a New York street.

Some pretty heavy topics were addressed, infidelity, racial stereotypes, etc.

One thing caught me quite off guard. There's a woman who comes home after a night of drinking and it appears that she is not wearing a bra. I
would almost go as far as to say it's quite obvious.

I seem to remember seeing a film from the early '30s where Carole Lombard
was also....."free."

This got me to thinking:

I would love to hear some opinions on this, but please, let's keep it on a mature level.

I always thought that Kim Novak was braless in Vertigo during the scene in the hotel when she is wearing the green sweater dress - either she is wearing a very, very flimsy bra or she is indeed braless. Did anyone else think this when viewing that scene in Vertigo?

I bought Public Enemies today and am going to watch it with my family tonite. I am going to see if I can get my hands on the cardboard display from work for the DVD's, would be in an interesting piece.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
funneman said:

One thing to keep in mind is that bras in the early thirties were a lot different from what are today -- and not all women habitually wore them. It was not uncommon for a modestly-endowed woman to simply wear a camisole instead of a structured support garment, so bralessness, in itself, wasn't necessarily interpreted as a sign of loose virtue.

Some Hollywood designers of the era liked to play with the possibilities offered by such a habit, though, and it's not uncommon to see outfits clearly intended to stimulate the imaginations of viewers, especially in pre-code films.

funneman

Practically Family
Thanks Lizzie!

Somehow I knew you would have the answer I was looking for.

I always enjoy reading your posts, your knowledge of film is very
impressive.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
It was raining very hard here yesterday evening, even some rare sleet. So instead of going over to the YMCA for my usual Monday night Pilates class, I opted to stay home warm and dry and watch "Top Hat" with Fred and Ginger. I especially love the "Isn't it a Lovely Day (to be caught in the rain)" number...

"When a clumsy little cloud meets a fluffy little cloud..."

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
1984....25 years later

As I mentioned here

I avoided the film 1984 like the plague, afraid it would be horrid. When I finally did see it, I was blown away; it's about the only time I've ever seen a filmed version of a beloved prose work in which the visual presentation was BETTER than I had imagined.

Just saw it again for the first time in...about 20 years...and am still amazed at the quality of the film. In a way Orwell would entirely approve, I think, the beauty of the Oceanian anthem and the cleverness of the propaganda films are seductive and frankly horrifying when linked to one of the most hopeless, brutal visions of the human condition ever codified.

Since the last time I engaged the work, I've spent a good deal more time getting familiar with the Orwell's life and the WWII/postwar period in Britain (not that I would claim to have any deep understanding....just a better awareness) which certainly helps inform Orwell's worldview: the whole "Airstrip One = England" concept, with the geopolitical alliance of the US and England as Oceania can't really be properly understood except in WWII terms--not to mention the tripartite division of the world. And on and on.

Altogether: a fantastic piece of work from writer and director both.

"Skeet"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff