Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Say what you will about being the last man on earth but being able to walk into a car dealership and choose whatever car you want and drive away with it gratis is a plus any day. lol lol
Sure, until it runs out of gas and you realize there's no electricity to power the pumps at whichever gas station is closest to where you're stranded. lol

vintageTink

One Too Many
Have to admit I hated WWZ with a passion. As a literary translation it was an insult to the text. I hope the author was paid enough to stomach what Pitt & Co did to his story.
As a zombie flick it was atrocious. This is what happens when an A List actor attaches himself to a zombie movie. We get this sanitized, derivative action film starring whatever Hollywood actor who needs to save his ____ (insert family, world, whatever) before blah, blah, it doesn't really matter because our hero will come through in the end. No matter how far around the world our hero travels no one in these other countries can find a solution like our Hollywood Man.
For the cost of a buck at Redbox I feel slightly less robbed than if I had paid any more to see this.
Agreed. I read the book by Max Brooks not long after it was published. The movie fell far short.

Twilight New Moon, the Rifftrax version.
Hmph.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
HBK: trust you to put a smile after a film you consider to be the bleakest thing you have ever seen.
You've now got me thinking about the bleakest film i can think of. My first thought goes back to a pivotal moment in my cinema going, the final lines of the original version of 'Dawn of the Dead': as they fly away in a helicopter, having seen their loved ones killed, and their home destroyed comes the lines "How much fuel have we got left?" "Not much."
A truly bleak ending and one that stuck in my mind.
And the end of 'All Quiet on the Western Front' is famously bleak.

But what's the bleakest film ever? Difficult question - and one I shall look forward to thinking about.

One of the bleakest films i have seen in recent months was Nowhere to Go. It doesn't have a single likeable character. The fact that it was made by Ealing Studios - most famous for their comedies which are usually consider as twee depictions of British life - makes this film even more impressive. Here's a link to my blog about it: Nowhere to Go

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
On the question of World War Z:
I was looking forward to a big-budget, zombie action movie. I adore end-of-the-world films and thought this could have been fantastic. I didn't think it was awful. In fact, i quite enjoyed it. But it was so far removed from the book as to be unrelated in everything but name.
If you want to see how an end of the world film should be, simply watch Independence Day, Day After Tomorrow, 2012 or even White House Down - Roland Emmerich knows how to make a disaster movie. He makes them fun, serious but with a tongue in cheek and knows how to pace a film (more than can be said for World War Z). Now, if he had directed that film, it would have been truly impressive.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"The man who knew too much" from 1936
I like Hitchcock and I like Peter Lorre but the movie was rather boring and not well paced or suspenseful. Firstfights were really bad and looked like slow motion acting.
Some great early 30s skiing fashion at the beginning but the DVD copy was bad so I couldn't even see all the details.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Agreed. I read the book by Max Brooks not long after it was published. The movie fell far short.

Hmph.
This one might have been funnier than the first one.
They really make fun of Bella's long pauses between words, often times trying to help her just to move the plot along. :D
Really? Vampires AND Wolves? Seen that in Underworld, not a real shock here.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Have to admit I hated WWZ with a passion. As a literary translation it was an insult to the text. I hope the author was paid enough to stomach what Pitt & Co did to his story.
As a zombie flick it was atrocious. This is what happens when an A List actor attaches himself to a zombie movie. We get this sanitized, derivative action film starring whatever Hollywood actor who needs to save his ____ (insert family, world, whatever) before blah, blah, it doesn't really matter because our hero will come through in the end. No matter how far around the world our hero travels no one in these other countries can find a solution like our Hollywood Man.
For the cost of a buck at Redbox I feel slightly less robbed than if I had paid any more to see this.

I know exactly how you feel. Felt the same way about "2012", "War of the Worlds", "The Day After Tomorrow" and more'n a few others. Sigh... BUT I did enjoy WWZ despite the obvious flaws.

Worf

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
The Creeping Flesh (1973) with Lee and Cushing!
And the director is from Hammer and Amicus.
A bit slow starting out, but I feel that someone is fixing to open a can of Mad Scientist very soon. :D

vintageTink

One Too Many
This one might have been funnier than the first one.
They really make fun of Bella's long pauses between words, often times trying to help her just to move the plot along. :D
Really? Vampires AND Wolves? Seen that in Underworld, not a real shock here.
When I have time I'll watch them.
So maybe sometime next year.

DesertDan

One Too Many
My "Bleakest Film" award goes to the Japanese animated film "Grave Of The Fireflies"
I am a big fan of Anime and this movie is one of the best, truly astounding visually and an absolutely compelling screenplay.

I never want to watch it again.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
MST3K The Brain That Wouldn't Die.

What you see is real, what you smell is unfortunate. :D
This is a solid performance from season 5.
Coming right after Mitchell, which was a riot to watch!
Joe Don Baker, well that's just good tv. ;)

James, I'll have to look for a copy of that.
The info I found says it came out in 1969, a good period for horror films IMHO.
I see it's Spanish.
At least it's not French, while I like Jean Rollin, his films start to repeat themselves.

Last edited:
What you see is real, what you smell is unfortunate. :D
This is a solid performance from season 5.
Coming right after Mitchell, which was a riot to watch!
Joe Don Baker, well that's just good tv. ;)

James, I'll have to look for a copy of that.
The info I found says it came out in 1969, a good period for horror films IMHO.
I see it's Spanish.
At least it's not French, while I like Jean Rollin, his films start to repeat themselves.
It was a weird one. Then again it had Anita Ekburg in it. :eyebrows:

Feraud

Bartender
I know exactly how you feel. Felt the same way about "2012", "War of the Worlds", "The Day After Tomorrow" and more'n a few others. Sigh... BUT I did enjoy WWZ despite the obvious flaws.

Worf
Going in I mostly knew what to expect. That is why I rented it through Redbox for a buck. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80