Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

...Mel Brooks would've nailed this one...
As long as he had a co-writer with a sense of humor that differed from his own, I agree. Arguably, his most well-received movies were Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein. On Blazing Saddles, one of his co-writers was Richard Pryor (who created the character of Mongo and all of his dialogue); on Young Frankenstein, it was Gene Wilder. Brooks is a good writer, but in my opinion he really needs someone to "punch up" his material. Considering his professional and personal relationships with Carl Reiner, if Brooks had been a co-writer on Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid I think it would have been a different movie, but it also probably would have been a better movie.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Underrated?!? I've ALWAYS considered it the best one! Bond before the formula ossified and the budgets bloated. (I also love Dr. No for the same reason. A small-scale, low-budget spy flick that's all about cleverness and style vs. the gadgets and armies swarming into volcano lairs that would soon dominate the series.)

Underrated?!? I've ALWAYS considered it the best one! Bond before the formula ossified and the budgets bloated. (I also love Dr. No for the same reason. A small-scale, low-budget spy flick that's all about cleverness and style vs. the gadgets and armies swarming into volcano lairs that would soon dominate the series.)

Agree completely with everything you said - cleverness and style - perfect description. "Dr. No" is my number two Bond and "Goldfinger " is in third. After those three, I can enjoy the Bond films, but they are all cartoonish and formulaic to some degree. That said, "Goldfinger" is many people's favorite and "Dr. No" gets a mention as the first Bond film, but it seems to me that, in the public's perception, "From Russia with Love" gets lost a bit being in between those two.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I watched some of Jackie Brown last night, but to be honest I'm not a Tarantino fan.
Plus, the language was a steady stream of words I hear daily, but not in the compressed form.
A bit hard to take IMHO, and not really relevant to the story.
Pam Grier still looked good though. :D

I found the El Rey channel last night and watched a part of the horrible Switchblade Sisters for a while before I had my allotment. The El Rey channel is Robert Rodriguez' contribution to but not limited to English speaking third generation Latinos who like Grindhouse type movies. They also show X-Files reruns.
:D

The most under-rated of the Bond films. I enjoy it more than almost every other one. The "action hero" phase of "Thunderball" hadn't started yet and there was more of an intimate feel to this one.

I would call it one of the more underappreciated Bond flick as I rarely hear it mentioned in Bond conversations. I still enjoy it every time I watch it.
I still enjoy it every time I see it.

Worf

I'll Lock Up

Yeah... I always wanted to meet the Real Estate agent who conveniently had a list of hollow volcanoes around the world for just such endeavors. I agree the formula did become very staid VERY quickly.

Worf

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I found the El Rey channel last night and watched a part of the horrible Switchblade Sisters for a while before I had my allotment. The El Rey channel is Robert Rodriguez' contribution to but not limited to English speaking third generation Latinos who like Grindhouse type movies. They also show X-Files reruns.
Switchblade Sisters, as in directed by Jack Hill?
Circa 1975?
It was okay, certainly not his best effort.
If you've ever seen That 70's Show, then you might have caught a young Don Stark (Bob on That 70's Show).

Switchblade Sisters, as in directed by Jack Hill?
Circa 1975?
It was okay, certainly not his best effort.
If you've ever seen That 70's Show, then you might have caught a young Don Stark (Bob on That 70's Show).

Exactly that flick. And yes, I did see Young Bob.
Next Friday night, The El Rey Network is showing Dolemite. It looks to be as bad, if not worse, as TSS.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Exactly that flick. And yes, I did see Young Bob.
Next Friday night, The El Rey Network is showing Dolemite. It looks to be as bad, if not worse, as TSS.
It's okay.
Not the best in the genre, but Rudy Ray Moore was quite popular back in the day.
Check out Disco Godfather, starting Moore.
I really liked that one.

It's okay.
Not the best in the genre, but Rudy Ray Moore was quite popular back in the day.
Check out Disco Godfather, starting Moore.
I really liked that one.

Thanks fer the info. I will probably torture myself with a few more Grindhouse movies before I cannot take anymore suffering. If Disco Godfather happens to appear, I will give it a chance.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
There are several of that era that aren't torture.
Okay, "The Guy From Harlem" is.
As is "East Meets Watts."
Off the top of my head, Trouble Man is good, and Cleopatra Jones is a good one as well.

Just watched the Leslie Howard / Bette Davis version of "Of Human Bondage." For some reason, I have never seen this movie but had been told that it is incredibly depressing. Perhaps thus being prepared, I did not find it all that depressing.

(Spoiler alert - don't read on if it turns out that I wasn't the last person on earth who hadn't seen this move.)

Bette Davis was such a despicable character - so out for herself, so ready to use other people, so destructive to herself and others and so spiteful and petty (when she destroyed his paintings and burned his tuition money, I lost any ability to feel anything but contempt for her) - that I felt very little when she was suffering and then died at the end.

Also, I wanted to reach into the screen and smack some sense into Leslie Howard when he let her walk all over him for the fiftieth time. And the ending was the opposite of depressing: Howard had learned the difference between infatuation and unrequited passion and chose a decent woman of good character who loved him to marry and build a life.

I found it uplifting at the end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats