Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"The Purge" - Not near as bad as I thought it was gonna be. Kept us riveted.... a few surprises and twists... I'm not surprised they made a sequel. I'll see that when it hits the BO.

Worf

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
The Driver (1978) with Ryan O'Neal.
Very good movie, especially for the car chases.
If you are a Mercedes fan however, you'd best cover your eyes about mid movie.
O'Neal tears one to shreds. Oh well, it was tic-tac orange, so who cares? :D
Apparently the movie was originally written for Steve McQueen, but he either declined or was unable to schedule it. They also looked at Stallone, but again it didn't work out. There is/was nothing wrong with O'Neal, but he wasn't known for this genre.
Could this have hurt the box office? Possibly...

Last edited:
Sunday had a bit of German theme running through it: Metropolis followed by The Blue Angel.

"The Blue Angel" falls into that category of films that I'm glad I've seen it as it is groundbreaking (and a major early movie for Marlene Dietrich), but not one I want to sit through again. And I love watching many pre-code / early 1930s movies, but "The Blue Angel" was a struggle for me, in part, because I found it excruciatingly painful to watch the older German man wreck his life for Dietrich.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"The Blue Angel" falls into that category of films that I'm glad I've seen it as it is groundbreaking (and a major early movie for Marlene Dietrich), but not one I want to sit through again. And I love watching many pre-code / early 1930s movies, but "The Blue Angel" was a struggle for me, in part, because I found it excruciatingly painful to watch the older German man wreck his life for Dietrich.

There is NO fool like an OLD fool....

Worf

There is NO fool like an OLD fool....

Worf

While you are right, what I saw was a man who had missed many things in his youth. Now, having a modicum of security and respect in late-middle age, he wanted some of the joy of youth that he had missed...enter Dietrich. Yes, one is responsible for one's actions - old or young - and that he was a fool is part of the pain. Morally and philosophically, I agree with you completely, but seeing a weak person fail and throw his entire life away is excruciating. (Plus the picture and sound quality of the version I saw was poor.)

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
On Saturday, finished The Corn is Green with Bette Davis, and featuring the screen debut of John Dall (who went on to fame in Gun Crazy and Spartacus). Director Irving Rapper did some excellent close up work, with the actor's face filling the screen, and some very well-done set ups with with foreground actor in soft focus and the background actor in sharp contrast. Joan Lorring was a rotten little minx.
And, also on Saturday, the last part of Towards the Unknown, with William Holden as a test pilot at Edwards AFB.

Renault

One Too Many
Double feature "Springtime in the Rockies" and "Rootin' Tootin' Rhythm" !

With Americas favorite Singing cowboy, Gene Autry!!!

I turned the grandkids onto Gene and Roy and they love em!!! So when they come over, they wanna watch the cowboy movies. ( personally I think they like to watch Gramps sing with Gene and Roy ;) )

In the last couple of months 'The British Film Institute' ran a series of 'pre-code' films. Some of them are, I believe, seldom seen these days. The intention was to show the nature of American cinema before themes started to get cleaned up.

Hi, it is absolutely amazing what was being done in film (talkies) between 1930 and 1934 (after which, the code started to be enforced / followed): Woman had careers, people had sex out of wedlock - and abortions, adoptions - relationships were complex and far-from always male dominated, criminals were not all bad and did not always end up in jail, cops and doctors were not always right and homosexuality was alluded to pretty clearly. All in all, the films showed life as it is - unconventional, with warts, bumps, diversity, struggles, atypical successes and failures - again, life. Once 1934 passed, so did most of this with only indirect references to these themes occasionally popping up.

The two things I take out of it is that life / humans and their struggles are eternal and that the movies would have been much more reflective of that and real society post-1934 except for the code.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace