Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
François Truffaut's 'Les Quatre Cents Coups' English title the '400 Blows'
Another excellent film from the French New Wave

Just watched "The Monster and The Girl" Universal, 1941, on Svengoolie. Had never heard of this one, but it blew me away. The way the old universal films tried to inject some humanity into their monsters at it's finest. Something lacking in horror films of today, and which makes most of theirs so classic.

Lots of killer lids in this one too.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Just watched "The Monster and The Girl" Universal, 1941, on Svengoolie. Had never heard of this one, but it blew me away. The way the old universal films tried to inject some humanity into their monsters at it's finest. Something lacking in horror films of today, and which makes most of theirs so classic.

Lots of killer lids in this one too.

I watched it too... loved it, despite all the Freddy stuff.... But here's the kicker... that wasn't a Universal Pic. I saw the Paramount logo at the end! Who knew?

Worf

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I watched "The Transatlantic Tunnel" and "Of Human Bondage" last night. The first could have been a good film. It turns out the future will be (will have been?) very stylish but also extremely melodramatic. As for the second, Bette Davis not even getting a nomination probably was one of the worst Oscar snubs ever.

Watched "Ann Carver's Profession" with Fay Wray and Gene Raymond which started out as a very good pre-code. Wray works in a diner and goes to law school at night and Raymond - a upper-class kid - meets her in the diner and falls in love. He is studying to be an architect, but the implication is he will be cut off from his family if he marries her. The next we know - this movie moves along with little heed to segues - they are a young struggling couple in NYC living on his small salary as a draftsman where she is a housewife not practicing law.

(Spoiler alert: don't read on if you want to see this movie without knowing the plot.) Through a series of events, she becomes a successful lawyer, his career stagnates and they live the big life in NYC on her income and of course, he feels emasculated (the movie, to this point, is not black and white as she shows her husband much respect, but as in real life, she also can get short with him when under pressure) and his eye wanders. Some more things happen - she sees him with a woman, he resurrect his singing career to make more money (to her embarrassment), she has more pressure at work - but the climax is surprising not at all like a pre-code movie.

She quits her job to become a housewife in a small suburban house and let's him "be the man." It was as if they grafted a post-code ending onto a pre-code movie. Disappointing and ruined what had been a short enjoyable movie.

MPW-72404

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Father Takes a Walk" - An odd little Warner's film about a Jewish Patriarch in between war England. He's a wife and 3 sons. Through hard work he's the largest, most successful department store in London. But after the wife dies the son's take over and basically have little or no use for the old man... or so they think. They soon find themselves mired in labor troubles and a possible hostile take over. The old man meanwhile has gone on walkabout with a stray pooch. He spends his time working and doing good deeds. He returns to solve the problems in just the nick of time. Sentimental tripe I know... but I enjoyed it. A far less sentimental look would be "Make Way For Tomorrow". The latter film was so eerily prescient concerning problems of aging in America as to make me believe in Time Travel.

Worf

"Father Takes a Walk" - An odd little Warner's film about a Jewish Patriarch in between war England. He's a wife and 3 sons. Through hard work he's the largest, most successful department store in London. But after the wife dies the son's take over and basically have little or no use for the old man... or so they think. They soon find themselves mired in labor troubles and a possible hostile take over. The old man meanwhile has gone on walkabout with a stray pooch. He spends his time working and doing good deeds. He returns to solve the problems in just the nick of time. Sentimental tripe I know... but I enjoyed it. A far less sentimental look would be "Make Way For Tomorrow". The latter film was so eerily prescient concerning problems of aging in America as to make me believe in Time Travel.

Worf

That sounds like a really good one - was it via TCM, Netflix or somewhere else? Because of your review, I'd like to see it.

TCM my friend... the ONLY channel I'd pay good money for....

Worf

After my cable bill jumped by $15 last month, I call Time Warner and had a very polite, but very, very firm "we are going to cut the cord unless you get our bill down without taking away things we want" conversation. When he said, what do you absolutely need (this was the second person I spoke with who, it was clear, was tasked with cutting deals to save accounts), I told him (1) high sped internet as I work from home, (2) HBO (my girlfriend watches "Game of Thrones" and "True Blood" and we either keep HBO or the cable TV goes or my life become unpleasant) and (3) TCM.

He spent, no exaggeration, ten minutes bringing up things on his computer (I could hear the keys being hit) and asking me specific questions about channels and services. He made several offers to give me more stuff at the "new" price, I told him two things had to happen on this call, the price has to come down and I can't loose the "absolutes." After more typing and questioning, he basically cut my bill to five dollars less than my old price, took away some channels I didn't even know existed (I think he did this to save face, as if to say, we didn't really just cut your bill) and left me with high speed internet, HBO, TCM and most everything else.

Like you, TCM is the only one I'd pay for and HBO for the girlfriend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic