Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Caroline said:
Next up is a Roman Polanski vampire comedy [huh] called "Dance of the Vampires - or - Pardon Me, But Your Teeth Are in My Neck." I really don't know what to expect.

I saw it shortly after it originally came out under the title The Fearless Vampire Killers and it was sort of amusing back then, though it will likely seem pretty stupid now. It's notable for having famous Manson-victim Sharon Tate in the cast. And Polanski himself plays the fool who assists the Van Helsing-ish vampire hunter. It's definitely an odd entry in the Polanski canon, and very much a product of the nutty 60s!

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Smithy said:
Watched "Once upon a time in America" last night, fantastic movie. Two thumbs up.

100% agreement from me. A great movie. (But only in the complete 229 minute version; there was once a 139 minute re-edit, now happily out of circulation, of which Pauline Kael said, "I don't know that I've ever seen a worse case of butchery.")

A.R. McVintage

Doctor Strange said:
I saw it shortly after it originally came out under the title The Fearless Vampire Killers and it was sort of amusing back then, though it will likely seem pretty stupid now. It's notable for having famous Manson-victim Sharon Tate in the cast. And Polanski himself plays the fool who assists the Van Helsing-ish vampire hunter. It's definitely an odd entry in the Polanski canon, and very much a product of the nutty 60s!

It's pretty clearly a parody of Hammer films.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
It is... but the sense I've gotten from reading about it is that parody wasn't what Polanski was really after when he conceived and shot it. He hated the new title and how it was marketed as a broad comedy to English-speakers - he viewed it more as a Central European fairy tale laced with humor.

Remember, while there were plenty of satires and parodies made back in the 60s, it wasn't yet a recognized genre unto itself. That's a post-Airplane! development.

RIOT

Practically Family
I saw The Kite Runner last night. An excellent movie about true friendship. It will arouse every emotions you have.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Last night a watch a double feature by director Paul Verhoeven...one of my cult classic favorites 'Robocop' (1987) and his most recent work 'Black Book' (2006). I had never seen this film before...or much less heard of it. It's a Dutch production about a Jewish woman helping the Dutch Resistance during WWII. This has to be one of the most heart pounding films I've seen in a long time. There are so many plot twists and turns that it had me on the edge of my seat a good amount of the time....and it's rare that a film does that to me. Definitely see this one. :eusa_clap

Pip

A-List Customer
Last one I watched was Nosferatu (1922), absolutely timeless classic. Enjoy it everytime I watch it.

Highly recommend it to all :)

Feraud

Bartender
My Kid Could Paint That is a must see for parents who thinks their little one is a prodigy and needs to share them with the world.
Four year old Marla Olmstead of Binghamton, N.Y. makes paintings that have sold in total for a few hundred thousand dollars. She is touted (mostly by her dad and dad's childhood friend/gallery owner) as a four year old Picasso. Some of her work is reminiscent of Pollock. Marla is on track to being hailed as the Second Coming of the art world. Then comes the 60 Minutes piece.. and everything unravelled.

A thought provoking film on parenthood, art, art collectors, and fraud.
An excellent film.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
My Kid Could Paint That is a must see for parents who thinks their little one is a prodigy and needs to share them with the world.
Four year old Marla Olmstead of Binghamton, N.Y. makes paintings that have sold in total for a few hundred thousand dollars. She is touted (mostly by her dad and dad's childhood friend/gallery owner) as a four year old Picasso. Some of her work is reminiscent of Pollock. Marla is on track to being hailed as the Second Coming of the art world. Then comes the 60 Minutes piece.. and everything unravelled.

An excellent film.

Thanks for the heads-up on this. I hope the Sundance Channel will show it.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Feraud said:

An excellent film.

I was wondering about that film. Thanks for the heads up.

LD

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I saw Married Life last night. Enjoyable but not as good as I'd hoped it would be. I think it should have been either darker or funnier. The acting was strong (I especially liked Chris Cooper) and it had great clothes, cars and decor. I'm glad I saw it in a theater.

Feraud

Bartender
Last night I watched The Bigamist with Edmond O'Brien. O'Brien is a man married to Joan Fontaine and Ida Lupino(who also directed the film). One wife has a child and the other wants to adopt. This will not end well..

The film was sort of hokey and simplistic in depicting O'Brien's troublesome threesome but I liked it.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I started "The Spy Who Came In From The Cold" today. I had to stop it but I can't wait to finish it tomorrow. Richard Burton has been very good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou