Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

cw3pa

A-List Customer
"Too Late for Tears" (1949) with Lizabrth Scott, Don DeFore and Dan Duryea. Good film noir with a scheming "femme fatale" who eliminates anyone who gets between and 60 grand.

Just watched 'This Island Earth'. Flying saucer flick from 1955. I'm a sucker for 'em, what more can I say. Pretty impressive special effects, and in color, no less.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
And don't forget... the Interociter! The astounding machine that can do so many things that it's essentially an all-purpose, programmable electronic...

The most interesting thing to me about that film is that it begins at a start-up electronics firm in California, the place where the inventions that would create the modern computer-based world were beginning right then in the fifties. The film's heroes are electrical engineers! So This Island Earth has a special place in the hearts to many of us who first saw it as proto-geeks in the sixties and later ended up in high-tech careers ourselves.

Watched half of "Fury" last night until the girlfriend nodded off, so we will probably finish it today. That said, while it is good, so far, I feel like it is another well done, war-is-hell, especially from the view of the fighting man perspective movie. It is good in the same way that other gritty war movies like "Saving Private Ryan" or "A Thin Red Line" are good - they don't coddle the viewer, but they are enervating. Does anything unexpected or unique happen in the second half?

Re commercials and "The Godfather," commercials negate the stop-and-drop rule (technically, the stop-and-drop rule is in effect until the first commercial appears, at which point, the viewer is freed to no longer watch).

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Born To Kill (1947) starring Claire Trevor, Lawrence Tierney and Walter Slezak along with Phillip Terry, Audrey Long, Elisha Cook Jr. and Isabel Jewell.

I wasn't thrilled with the it, but it's not a bad film, either.

- Ian

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Every Which Way But Loose with Clint Eastwood. Classic!

I'm sure a lot of people consider it a throwaway movie. It is silly, but silly in a fun way, I think. To me, it's a bit of a classic, as well.

In the interest of full disclosure, Clint Eastwood is another one of my favorites (maybe my overall favorite) along with John Wayne, Steve McQueen, Paul Newman and Robert Redford.

- Ian

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I'm sure a lot of people consider it a throwaway movie. It is silly, but silly in a fun way, I think. To me, it's a bit of a classic, as well.

In the interest of full disclosure, Clint Eastwood is another one of my favorites (maybe my overall favorite) along with John Wayne, Steve McQueen, Paul Newman and Robert Redford.

- Ian

Oh yeah, TOTALLY silly. I'm a sucker for silly movies like this, though. Ma (Ruth Gordon) is a gem. The scene where she shoots up the biker gang is hilarious.

I like Clint Eastwood, too.

Watched half of "Fury" last night until the girlfriend nodded off, so we will probably finish it today. That said, while it is good, so far, I feel like it is another well done, war-is-hell, especially from the view of the fighting man perspective movie. It is good in the same way that other gritty war movies like "Saving Private Ryan" or "A Thin Red Line" are good - they don't coddle the viewer, but they are enervating. Does anything unexpected or unique happen in the second half?
One of the things I thought Fury did well was to not present the main characters as overly heroic--they're just average, somewhat flawed men doing what they have to do to survive (both physically and mentally) the various battles they find themselves in. As such, I think it gives the viewer a glimpse into what it might have been like to have been a member of an American tank crew in Germany during World War II. As for the second half...you'll have to watch it and decide for yourself. :D

Re commercials and "The Godfather," commercials negate the stop-and-drop rule (technically, the stop-and-drop rule is in effect until the first commercial appears, at which point, the viewer is freed to no longer watch).
Commercials not only completely ruin the flow of a good movie, but they break the "spell" that stop-and-drop movies cast on us. So, yeah, once that first commercial takes you out of the movie mentally, you're free to do whatever you were supposed to be doing in the first place. lol

MV5BMzA2NDkwODAwM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODk5MTgzMTE@._V1_SY317_CR1,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

No! Tell us they didn't wipe your mind Bucky!

You missed the best part of Fury so far then. :p

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up

- Ian

Clint said it was really good for his acting abilities, since he had to learn to get it right in one take! Very surprising, but, orangutangs apparently have very short attention spans!

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Clint said it was really good for his acting abilities, since he had to learn to get it right in one take! Very surprising, but, orangutangs apparently have very short attention spans!

Yeah, I think he said that "Clyde" had the attention span of a 5 year-old. He directed that movie and said that he just kept the camera rolling, during scenes with the orangutan(s) or something along those lines.

- Ian

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"Every Which Way" stands out to me for one reason: it's the first film I ever projected on my own in a theatre, at a drive-in when I was fifteen. Coincidentally, the first movie I ever *saw* from a projection booth, when I was five, also had a simian theme -- "Planet of the Apes."

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Every Which Way But Loose" and every other popular film of that era make me long for the power of "selective amnesia". Out the window of my mind with Disco, wannabe truckers, urban cowboys and all the rest of that dreck.

Worf

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Trade Winds (1938) dir. Tay Garnett, with Fredric March, Joan Bennett, Ralph Bellamy, Ann Sothern, and many more. Story by Garnett, with screenplay credit to Dorothy Parker, which explains the exceptional dialogue and wisecracks. Socialite Bennett flees a murder charge, dashing about the Far East, followed by PI March. Bellamy is sent along by SFPD to keep on eye on things. Bellamy plays Bellamy to the hilt. Off of Amazon Prime streaming; it's a lot of fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats