Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Klute - I have been looking forward to seeing this movie for years (any time it was on tv here was at something like 2.45am) so I finally got to watch it last night and it was a bit of a disappointment - not that suspensful and the cinematography was so dark we nearly needed night vision goggles to figure out what was going on.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The Human Comedy (1943)

William Saroyan never caught on that he could have bored a hole in himself and let the sap out. His only film story (gosh, I wonder why) has to be one of the speechiest, preachiest stories ever put on screen, at least where the principals didn't wear robes and sandals. Mickey Rooney is his usual winning self, but the poor guy has to confront yet another Life Lesson about every 90 seconds.

Last edited:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Fletch, I watched it for the first time last night too. Even granting that the film came out at the darkest hour of the war, when messages about HUMANITY weren't out of place, it was jaw-droppingly overdone. From the ghostly father's sledgehammer narration to the sequence where the couple drive by the festival with those groups of people of each old-country heritage folk-dancing in their native costumes ("... but they're all AMERICANS!"), it was pretty hard to take.

This is allegedly the film that Louis B. Mayer was most proud of... and it's clear why: it's nearly the most idealized, sappy-sentimental image of small town life ever put on film (like It's A Wonderful Life... minus that film's cynical underbelly that helps elevate it to greatness). But it's certainly worth seeing once for curiosity's sake, at least as a home front piece.

And I will say that it featured an interestingly restrained, mature performance by Mickey Rooney - an actor that I usually can't stand. Plus it's a hoot to see some very young future stars in the supporting roles - Donna Reed, Van Johnson, Robert Mitchum, etc.

CopperNY

A-List Customer
"Cast A Deadly Spell".

Lovecraftian influenced film noir set in a 1948 where magic is commonplace. Fred Ward and Julianne Moore. costuming was generic, but adequate.

enjoyed it very much. fans of Jim Butcher's "Harry Dresden" series would be pleased.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Miracle on 34th Street. Can the shoulders on the adults :eeek: get any bigger and can little Natalie Wood get any cuter.
inlove.gif

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
Watched National Lampoons Christmas Vacation and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade last night at the family get-together; a bit of an odd combination.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Like several others, Miracle on 34th Street. Depleted audience due to this weird flu thing in circulation, and teenage indifference to our grown up need for sappy sentimentality. For us hardcore viewers, it's alway great.

tbrunke

Familiar Face
"My Favorite Brunette" with Bob Hope and Dorothy Lamour, a funny flick and Bing Crosby has a bit part at the end of the movie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner