Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Lillemor

One Too Many
I just watched Avatar with my boys because two of them are actually under 10 and I didn't think they should be watching it alone.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Roman Holiday

---ending tears my heart :cry:

When I was in college-many moons ago-a pizza and wine discussion
about Roman Holiday and AH's other films tendered the snippet
rumor that William Holden was the love of her life; but WH had
demons etc.... Cannot watch Roman Holiday without comparing
Gregory Peck to WH and a lost romance. :(:focus:
Silly me. :eek:

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Road to Perdition. A rich, moving, and emotionally laden study of the effects of violence on man, wrapped in a good story. I really loved it. Highly recommended, if you can stomach a moderate amount of violence. And it's not even the gore in the film that I believe makes it an R-rated film; it's the emotional weight given to the deaths that makes it inappropriate to younger audiences.

The score is amazing, also. As soon as I find the money for another iTunes card, it's first on my list.

Cheers,

Last edited:

Snowdrop

Familiar Face
Road to Perdition. A rich, moving, and emotionally laden study of the effects of violence on man, wrapped in a good story. I really loved it. Highly recommended, if you can stomach a moderate amount of violence. And it's not even the gore in the film that I believe makes it an R-rated film; it's the emotional weight of the deaths that makes it inappropriate to younger audiences.

Cheers,

I watched this movie a few weeks ago when it was on TV. It was pretty late at night and I kept saying to myself that I'd only watch another 10 minutes, then go to bed... I ended up watching the entire thing. Fabulous movie!!

bill82

New in Town
Foreign Correspndent with Joel McCray and Laraine Day. Very good movie made in 1940 and directed by Alfred Hitchcock. Although in B&W, some great lids show up throughout the movie.

Old Rogue

Practically Family
This post is more along the lines of the next movies I'm going to watch. Just received the four DVD "Bogie & Bacall: The Signature Collection" set in the mail today. It contains To Have and Have Not, The Big Sleep, Dark Passage, and Key Largo. Guess what I'm gonna be doing this weekend, woohoo!

My schedule has been conspiring against me, but I did manage to find time to watch "Dark Passage" tonight. That's the only one of the four movies that I hadn't previously seen. I enjoyed it a lot, but then I've never met a Bogey movie that I didn't like. I will say that I didn't think it was quite as good as "The Big Sleep", but a movie can be very good and still not be up the bar set by "The Big Sleep" or "Casablanca". I liked the ending of "Dark Passage". Yes, it was kind of an obvious way to extricate Vincent and Irene from all the plot tangles so they could live happily ever after, but hey that's what I want to see in a film.

Last edited:

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
---ending tears my heart :cry:

When I was in college-many moons ago-a pizza and wine discussion
about Roman Holiday and AH's other films tendered the snippet
rumor that William Holden was the love of her life; but WH had
demons etc.... Cannot watch Roman Holiday without comparing
Gregory Peck to WH and a lost romance. :(:focus:
Silly me. :eek:

I know - such a beautiful and heartbreaking ending - you really want it to work out for them...

I think Holden was the love of Audrey's life - any time you see photos of them together there is an intimacy there that is so much more than just friendship.

I watched "G-Men" with James Cagney from 1935. It has Robert Armstrong in it as his FBI boss. Armstrong's voice the moment I hear it all can think is Carl Denim (King Kong) "Why isn't he the man that captured the beast?"

It's a time capsule of style, language, attitudes and mannerisms.

Now my tale of woe, I went to Target and picked this up in the video section. As a regular DVD many prices have dropped considerably as they push for Blue Ray. Anyway the movie was one of a number of selections where they have four movies in one box. Here they do double sided DVD with one movie each side and two dvds gets you 4 films here for $15. Not a bad deal. Well while i have the one dvd in the player Max the wunderdog decides that he'll quietly grab the case and chew it. I found the case and the second dvd ventilated! And I did not get to watch the movies on that DVD yet! Arrrgh!

one of the cool things is this is a Warner Brothers release and they have made some great packages of special features to go along with the films. Here they have commentary and a series of extra films consisting of bloopers and shorts from the time. On several of the WB DVD's of classic films they have a "Warners Night at the Theater" When you select that and hit play all you get the total package from about the same year as the film: a trailer, newsreel, a short subject or 2 and a cartoon and then it plays the film! So it is like going to the movies way back when you got all of that stuff before the film.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
While the City Sleeps - me and my husband absolutely loved this movie - great dialogue, sterling performances and more innuendo than you could shake a stick at. I have no idea why this film isn't better known - I would highly recommend it.

Berlin

Practically Family
Anne Frank - The Whole story.

Very funny to see the Netherlands in an English movie. And the way they say the Dutch names. :rolleyes:.
It was a good movie.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Coco and Igor (2000something, I really don't care). I didn't even like it enough to give it boldface type.
Coco Chanel and Igor Stravinsky reputedly had a thing going while he and his family lived with her. The film is costume drama, beautifully shot but dull and stylized. The actress playing Chanel is beautiful and wears her elegant clothes well, but has exactly one expression. The actor playing Stravinsky has no expressions, a stonefaced, shirtsleeved movie hunk. It's all very 2000something.

Berlin

Practically Family
Anne Frank: the Whole Story is an excellent movie!! Although extremely depressing....

I second that. Since it happened in my country, I've seen many Dutch movies about Anne Frank, so it was 'fun' to see the story in a movie from another country.

Depressing it was, and somehow I always -even tho I know that the end will always be the same, where they will be betrayed after all- hope that the movie has a happy ending.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran