Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro, directed by Hayao Miyazaki. I agree with Steven Spielberg's statement, "One of the greatest adventure movies of all time," and recommend this to those who like animated films.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Appointment with Danger (1951) with Alan Ladd, Phyllis Calvert, and Paul Stewart all top-billed. Tough as nails postal inspector Ladd goes undercover to bust a planned robbery of a million cool ones as they are transfered from one train station to another by a Post Office delivery truck. Not really a noir, but more like the procedurals that highlighted T-Men and such. Clever dialogue, such as when Ladd makes a clever observation to a nun, then reveals it was from Martin Luther. Fun rental...

CharlieB

A-List Customer
Inception, via Netflicks. Better than I expected. I have to say, though, I figured it out long before the end. Won't say how so I don't spoil anything for anyone who wants to watch it.

Dan'l

Practically Family
I bought the complete Granada series of Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes over the weekend and haven't stopped watching it yet. I have a few of the series already but the box set is so much better in the quality of the digital transfer, that and I was having trouble locating the individual series that I still needed.

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
I cannot forget the theme music of "The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter" by Dave Grusin. There's a certain pervading peacefulness listening to its strains. Watching the film last evening again on TCM reminded me how impressed I was when I first saw it. Alan Arkin is memorable as the deaf mute and Sondra Locke, in her first screen role, also shines as the second lead. A pity Locke was never given roles this meaty since then. Percy Rodriguez also is superb.

Since this is good storytelling, from a best-selling book by Carson McCullers, all the characters here stand out. It's not a fast-moving film yet it is an involving story in which the viewer winds up caring about these people. Yes, the ending is sad and shocking but, in this case, a good ending because it makes you reflect more on what perhaps you and I neglect to do: to remember that everyone needs encouragement from time to time, even the encouragers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner