Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Lily Powers

Practically Family
In a real theater, with real popcorn: "Dinner at Eight" (1933). God bless the Stanford Theatre in Palo Alto, CA. It's glorious!
In the comfort of my home, on the couch with my best boys (dog and boyfriend... perhaps in that order, too!;)), we watched "Wings" (1927) a silent movie with Clara Bow. I even shed a tear a couple of times. I wondered if the theatre audiences in 1927 got teary eyed too.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Watched Pickup On South Street. Richard Widmark was interestingly low-key in his role as a pick-pocket, although he did have one scene in which he beat the tar out of two "Reds." Thelma Ritter was a stand-out (they broke the mold when she was born) as a "professional" informer who, although she tips the police on the whereabouts of Widmark's character, is none-the-less a longtime friend of his. Jean Peters was also great as the "muffin" from whom Widmark's character lifts some microfilm, and who eventually falls for him (perhaps too quickly). Although she was a bit on the thin side, Peters was quite sexy, in a floozy sort of way. Some excellent camera shots and direction (Sam Fuller); the scene where Peters gets beaten up by her Commie ex-boyfriend was not only surprisingly graphic, but very well choreographed as well. Even though the anti-Red sentiment is a bit too much for its own good (a' la Sam Fuller), the film is pretty darn good. (It was also humorous to see a Soldier on the subway wearing a 1st Infantry Division patch on his shirt [Fuller's old outfit], and an Army recruiting poster figuring prominently in one scene.)

Last edited:

Snowdrop

Familiar Face
'Mogambo', with Clark Gable, Ava Gardner and Grace Kelly. I love the movie, although I have to confess that I don't think Clark's womanizing character deserves either lady at the end. :tsk:

And since I'm home sick today, I have a few more movies lined up...

Love Me Or Leave Me
Some Like It Hot
Rear Window (Also with the fabulous, Thelma Ritter)

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Watched Pickup On South Street. Richard Widmark was interestingly low-key in his role as a pick-pocket, although he did have one scene in which he beat the tar out of two "Reds." Thelma Ritter was a stand-out (they broke the mold when she was born) as a "professional" informer who, although she tips the police on the whereabouts of Widmark's character, is none-the-less a longtime friend of his. Jean Peters was also great as the "muffin" from whom Widmark's character lifts some microfilm, and who eventually falls for him (perhaps too quickly). Although she was a bit on the thin side, Peters was quite sexy, in a floozy sort of way. Some excellent camera shots and direction (Sam Fuller); the scene where Peters gets beaten up by her Commie ex-boyfriend was not only surprisingly graphic, but very well choreographed as well. Even though the anti-Red sentiment is a bit too much for its own good (a' la Sam Fuller), the film is pretty darn good. (It was also humorous to see a Soldier on the subway wearing a 1st Infantry Division patch on his shirt [Fuller's old outfit], and an Army recruiting poster figuring prominently in one scene.)

Thelma Ritter commits Grand Theft Acting in every scene she's in.The other actors in the shot with her don't stand a chance. Pickup... give her an opportunity at being more than the tough cookie with the well-written wisecracks.

Re: dir. Fuller's style with the rough stuff, check out the sudden burst of violence about two-thirds the way through House of Bamboo.

Feraud

Bartender
House of Bamboo is a good flick. I'll take anything with Robert Ryan but oh boy Robert Stack's acting is stiff in that film! Not sure whether is was intentional or not but I found his attempts at romance comically clumsy.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
House of Bamboo is a good flick. I'll take anything with Robert Ryan but oh boy Robert Stack's acting is stiff in that film! Not sure whether is was intentional or not but I found his attempts at romance comically clumsy.

If you can, watch the dvd with the audio commentary. I think the commenators mention that Stack's wooden acting is part Fuller's direction and part that he wasn't comfortable in the role. They do point out that in a couple scenes Stack seems genuinely confused by what's going on.

Ryan is uber passive-agressive, with the calm arrogance of a monomaniac. He looks dangerous even when he's being nice.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Actually not a movie, but an episode of Checkmate, detective show from early sixties. Anthony George and Doug McClure head up a detective agency, abetted by Dr. Carl Hyatt, played by Sebastian Cabot.

Had not seen this in literally forty-plus years, but always remembered it for the weird theme music and the visually gripping swirling background. I always thought it was smoke, but after viewing the show I realize it's more like different paints swirling around.

In the episode I watched were Dorothy Malone, billed up front as a guest star, along with radio-tv veteran John Dehner, and Ed Nelson, who seems to have been on one tv show a week since 1957.

lynnequintana

New in Town
The last movie I saw is "Just Go With It" starring Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston. Great movie I had so much fun watching the two they both have a great senseof humor. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy