Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Edward

Bartender
I loved Thor too. I actually went a second time and dragged my college-age kids.

I wish it had been a little longer: there was plenty more stuff to explain, and the character development was very rushed. But the casting, effects, design work, and script (which managed to deftly balance drama and comedy, fantasy and science) were very good. And Chris Hemsworth was perfect casting, on the order of Christopher Reeve or Hugh Jackman!

They got it so much more right that I was expecting. My complaints were minor, and not necessarily defensible so much as what *I*, as a Marvel fan gong back to the early 70s, wanted to see (e.g., the Asgardians speaking in more full-blown bogus Shakespearean dialect.)

I'm hoping they have Thor on the plane to DC in a couple of weeks - I've not been able to catch it in the cinema. I do like the look of Thor himself a lot, though. Especially the beard. It always looked kinda wrong to me when Marvel presented the mythical Norse god as being clean shaven. He was a Viking! Come on! (Actually, I always put the cleanshaven thing down to contemporary US mores when he was created - would a beard have made him look q bit of an 'Ivan' in those days?).

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
When Thor first appeared in comics in 1962, the long hair was considered bold enough. A risky move in those crew-cut days... and like much at early Marvel, prescient of where the culture was soon headed.

And he eventually did have a beard in the 80s/90s (long after my time reading, but still legit as having been done in the comics.)

Classic Jack Kirby Thor covers - http://www.coverbrowser.com/covers/thor/3 - By the time the book was retitled The Mighty Thor in #126, Kirby's work reflected growing sophistication, as each image became more epically majestic and carefully composed for maximum effect. (Also, note #145 re the plot of the movie.)

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Caught the new Woody Allen movie "Midnight in Paris" last night. Really excellent stuff, Allen has been putting out some really great films in the past few years. This one might be of interest to loungers, as the it centers around nostalgia for past periods in history. Highly recommended.

rue

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
The Beast of Yucca Flats. Well you asked...LOL I got my wife hooked on MST3K, but it's only to break from
Film Noir's on Netflix. Too many in a row and you get depressed. :)

DNO

One Too Many
"The Beast" (aka "The Beast of War")...1988 movie about a Russian tank crew lost in Afghanistan. Great film.

Anticipating watching the original Godzilla tonight on TCM. Raymond Burr...what was he thinking? Still, nobody crushes puny humans better than Godzilla.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Just watched Detour with Tom Neal and Ann Savage. If you like Film Noir, this is a great one. But geez it's depressing, as most of them are. :) I can't watch too many in a row before I start calling my wife a dame, and pour several drinks.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
I'm watching "The Stork Club". It's a light piece of fluff, but Betty Hutton's hairdos are absolutely fantastic!
The%2BStork%2BClub.jpg

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Last night, I watched The Mummy (1999) for what may be the third time ever. I enjoyed it; it's not quite like an Indiana Jones film, but it doesn't really try to be either. It's got it's own style, and is based off of an older film I think. I guess it helps that the study of mummies is an actual interest of mine. I find mummies, from all over the world to be fascinating. Rick O'Connell come to think of it, is almost as cool Indy too. He may not wear a hat, but he's got a neat haircut, which is similar to the look I'm going for these days. The Mummy himself was good too, and felt like an actual threat the entire film. Lots of action, thrills, frights, and comedic moments as well. It may as well be one of the last great adventure (traditional serial-esque style) films after Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, or maybe Jurassic Park.

I think it gets an 8/10 in my opinion.

Next up, I may watch The Mummy Returns, which I hear is worse than the first, and I've only seen the second one years ago. I know that the third one is the absolute worst in the series according to the general consensus of it all, but I might try to end up seeing that one too.

djd

Practically Family
I think The Mummy is great! As you say, not quite Indiana Jones but a hell of a lot better than Crystal Skull! Sadly the second and third Mummy films are no where near as good as the first :(

I watched Up in the Air last night. Not quite what I was expecting but pretty good none the less. I did leave me feeling rather despondent afterwards though

Last edited:

djd

Practically Family
Tonight I've watched Shadow of the Thin Man - (lots of hats with feathers in!). Love Nick and Nora :)

I'm now watching Bogart in Scirocco. Not one of my favourites but it's a while since I've watched it

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Just watched The Cotton Club again last night. I had not seen it in several years and after reading another thread about George Raft I thought I would watch it again. It is a great movie with a lot of tallent and some great hats.

Kirk H.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Great one DJD.
I recommend the Sea Bass....ewww.
I've got the Powell/Loy collection and love it.
Love Crazy is another fine one that pairs them, where he pretends to be insane.
It doesn't disappoint.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I think The Mummy is great! As you say, not quite Indiana Jones but a hell of a lot better than Crystal Skull! Sadly the second and third Mummy films are no where near as good as the first :(

I watched Up in the Air last night. Not quite what I was expecting but pretty good none the less. I did leave me feeling rather despondent afterwards though

Oh, I agree... I actually think The Mummy is a much better film than Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Maybe even Mummy Returns too. I'm not sure how the third would compare to it though, and I've seen that discussed elsewhere, debating whether the third Mummy was better than the fourth Indy movie...

Oh, and Up in the Air isn't that one movie (cartoon, CGI looking) with the old man and the kid on a house that floats in the sky, right? Is that a different film?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Gran Torino......the question.....how did Rowdy Yates become one of film's finest directors? It boggles the mind..........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24