Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

MV5BMTg5NjU3OTE1MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTc0NDYyMQ@@._V1._SY317_.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"Stage Struck", a 1936 Warner comedy-musical with Dick Powell, Joan Blondell, Warren William, Frank McHugh, assorted lesser members of the Warner stock company, and as an ersatz Ruby Keeler, a young girl named Jeanne Madden, who made only a couple of pictures before going back to Scranton. This is the film Busby Berkeley was directing when he was involved in a fatal car accident that led to his being put on trial for second-degree murder, so you can excuse him for not including any of his big-time production numbers in this one. The picture comes to an end just as you're expecting to see one of those big blow-off routines, so it's a bit disappointing -- but as comedy, it's a hoot. Blondell shamelessly chews the scenery as a Peggy Hopkins Joyce-type with delusions of grandeur, and Warren William is hysterical as a parody of megalomaniac Broadway producer Jed Harris. There are two good songs for Powell and Madden, and a couple of specialty numbers by the topical nightclub quartet the Yacht Club Boys. If Berkeley had paid more attention at the wheel the picture might have had a better finish, but it's still one of the better Warner productions of 1936.

Mojito

One Too Many
Caught the 1926 version of La Bohème with Lillian Gish and John Gilbert...rather good, but I shouldn't have let my enthusiasm for the two leads, 1830s Parisian students and silent film lead me to impatiently watch it on Youtube. Would have been far better to watch the DVD on my flatmate's monster flatscreen (it has to be useful for something!).

Voyage to the Moon (1902)
Georges Melies silent classic -- the very first sci fi film (though personally, I could have done without the narration :p)
The film also features the chorus girls from the Folies Bergere

[video=youtube;hEAcdra1Po8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEAcdra1Po8&feature=related[/video]

This was very neat to watch. My Great-Grandfather was born in 1902. Funny to think this was new when he was a baby.

Voyage to the Moon (1902)
Georges Melies silent classic -- the very first sci fi film (though personally, I could have done without the narration :p)
The film also features the chorus girls from the Folies Bergere

Heather

Practically Family
"Donnie Darko". My husband added it to our Netflix DVD list after I had mentioned Katherine Ross was in it.(I think I have a wee bit of a girl crush on her....there's something about her eyes...).

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Just watched The Man In The White Suit with the wonderful Alec Guinness as Sid Stratton, the hapless inventor of an allegedly indesructible fabric. They rarely show films like that on (German) TV anymore.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
That was a good one. The ending was lousy for Alec though.

Oh, I'm not so sure. Just when a relieved Mr. Birnley believes that the world has seen the last of Sid Stratton the same one suddenly and most excitedly calls out "I see!" and then strides off with new confidence - which in turn leaves Mr. Birnley with some nagging doubts of his own. There was definitely more to come... ;)

Philip Adams

One of the Regulars
'Primrose Path' (1940) with Ginger Rogers.

I really enjoyed this film. It's a real morality story but done in a light and sometimes funny way.

It was a real reminder of how problematic being 'from the wrong side of the tracks' could be for people back in the Golden Era.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick