Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

MarkJohn

One of the Regulars
You ain't wasting any time puttin' that new gear through it's paces I see. Are you doin' 3D?

Worf

Yes, though when we decided to replace our failing TV we did not really consider 3D, we just wanted full HD... we actually favoured a 'Smart' TV which this does not have, but the 3D Blu-Ray player does, so we ended up with all the features we wanted, plus the 3D. Its only a 32" but our sitting room arrangement means we sit quite close, and the 3D effect is superb, and far better than I expected for a relatively small TV.

I know some people hate 3D or consider it a gimmick, but I love it, esp. on films that are made around the technique such as Life of Pi, The Hobbit and Avatar, which look breathtaking... just ordered Hugo, and David Attenborough's Kingdom of Plants and am looking forward to Oz the Great and Powerful.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab

MarkJohn

One of the Regulars
Midnight in Paris... not bad, but not quite as good as I was hoping. Amusing and whimsical, with some great costumes, but rather too lightweight; and the DVD quality seemed very poor, being overbright, and very blue at times.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Yes, though when we decided to replace our failing TV we did not really consider 3D, we just wanted full HD... we actually favoured a 'Smart' TV which this does not have, but the 3D Blu-Ray player does, so we ended up with all the features we wanted, plus the 3D. Its only a 32" but our sitting room arrangement means we sit quite close, and the 3D effect is superb, and far better than I expected for a relatively small TV.

I know some people hate 3D or consider it a gimmick, but I love it, esp. on films that are made around the technique such as Life of Pi, The Hobbit and Avatar, which look breathtaking... just ordered Hugo, and David Attenborough's Kingdom of Plants and am looking forward to Oz the Great and Powerful.

Welcome to a whole new world of movie enjoyment. I can't see 3D, (wounds suffered in service) but I hear it's amazing when done right. What are you doing with the sound half of the experience?

Worf

2075rami

One of the Regulars
Dressed To Kill (1941). This one had some good twists to the plot. Guess it was a classic movie night on Netflix tonight!

Sent from my iPhone to the interwebs and straight to your brain using Tapatalk

MarkJohn

One of the Regulars
Welcome to a whole new world of movie enjoyment. I can't see 3D, (wounds suffered in service) but I hear it's amazing when done right. What are you doing with the sound half of the experience?

Worf

Thank you... I'm sure the novelty will wear off somewhat, but at the moment I'm enthralled by the experience of 3D at home; my wife's Kingdom of Plants arrived yesterday and even that had me gripped :)

As to sound, I'm just looking into it, as we really do need something better to match the image. The sets built-in sound, while not terrible, is letting the side down... due to lack of space we'll probably end-up with a pair of small external speakers.

Sorry to hear of of your injury, and the limitation it imposes... I know people, with eye conditions (or simply hate the effect) have been concerned that 2D showings will become taken over by 3D but I'm not sure that is the case... our local, independent, cinema seems to show more 2D than 3D.

2075rami

One of the Regulars
Iron Man 3, which was pretty much AHMAZING! Of course, I've been an Iron Man junkie since I was like 10!

Sent from my iPhone to the interwebs and straight to your brain using Tapatalk

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Thank you... I'm sure the novelty will wear off somewhat, but at the moment I'm enthralled by the experience of 3D at home; my wife's Kingdom of Plants arrived yesterday and even that had me gripped :)

As to sound, I'm just looking into it, as we really do need something better to match the image. The sets built-in sound, while not terrible, is letting the side down... due to lack of space we'll probably end-up with a pair of small external speakers.

Sorry to hear of of your injury, and the limitation it imposes... I know people, with eye conditions (or simply hate the effect) have been concerned that 2D showings will become taken over by 3D but I'm not sure that is the case... our local, independent, cinema seems to show more 2D than 3D.

I've a full 5.1 set-up downstairs and up. Three speaks across the front, two on the side/rear and a sub. 7.1 is optimal but I don't have the rear room for two addtional speaks. If you're cramped for space, a good soundbar with a sub will really blow your socks off. Two speaks alone is an "improvement" but won't offer any the spacial effects you'll really love.

Worf

Yeah we have good soundbars with wireless subs on the big screens.
Before these we had a 5 speaker Bose surround system with center channel speaker and sub.
A soundbar is much more simple and actually sounds very good.
HD

MarkJohn

One of the Regulars
Worf & HD - seems you both have very nice set ups.

Looking at soundbars, as you guys suggest, would certainly be the best solution for us.

Just need to find a decent, but reasonably priced one, they seem to start at about 70 GBP.

For the time being I have attached a pair of desktop PC speakers, which are a massive improvement, if rather lacking bass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo