Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Hondo

One Too Many
Harley Quinn said:
Cast a Deadly Spell... it FINALLY appeared on torrent, and I take the view if HBO release it before you chaps are older and I am dead, I'll buy it on whichever region DVD they release it on... until then, I'm stuck with piracy (me hearties!)

It's something of the holy grail of films for me, since it combines a nice reworking of H.P. Lovecraft in a hard boiled milleu with a light touch without disrepect for any of the genres parodied. Fred Ward turns in an understated performance as H. Philip Lovecraft, PI in 1948 LA where EVERYONE uses magic, except him. Clancy Brown chews the scenery in one of his pre-Kurgan roles and basically it's a good old fashioned 'Film Noir meets Cosmic horror in a light comedy'.

Otherwise, I've got the HPL film festival Vol 5 Strange Aeons: The Thing on the Doorstep to watch next up...

If you chaps haven't seen it... the HPLHS prodcution of "The Call of Cthulhu" is well worth getting on DVD... A silent film with most of the effects done in camera or using 1920s technology (there is one use of CGI, and that was due to them running out of time and money) Loads more atmosphere than that ghastly po-faced grind house nonsense...

This one? it released :)

http://www.amazon.com/Call-Cthulhu-...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1206377448&sr=1-1

mrswheats

One of the Regulars
Six-string Samuri. Cult movie (along the lines of Tank Girl or Hell Comes to Frogtown) that I would have really loved, except for the incredibly unsatisfying ending.

However, I loved the Red Elvises. Nice shoes.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Netflix has an extended version of American Gangster that comes with the theater version that runs about 3 hours. We watched it and it moved well enough so as to not be boring at all.

Marlowe P.

One of the Regulars
swingtimegal said:
Six-string Samuri. Cult movie (along the lines of Tank Girl or Hell Comes to Frogtown) that I would have really loved, except for the incredibly unsatisfying ending.

However, I loved the Red Elvises. Nice shoes.

I loved that movie!!

Watched "Cold Mountain" which I love and was fun because my roomates hadn't seen it. So we got to talk about all the Odyssey components. Now they think I'm smart. But really the music and the movie and the book... ahhhhh so satisfying,

saturnoir

New in Town
Mildred Pierce

"Mildred Pierce" was on TCM last night. My wife and I love to MST3K a good (or bad) Joan Crawford movie. That was pretty much the only movie I watched all WEEK.

Harley Quinn

One of the Regulars
Hondo said:

The very same... I tend to avoid giving Amazon.*anything* it's pound of flesh, hence the HPLHS (Cthululives.org) link. I buy my HPL Film Festival stuff direct from Arkham Bazaar (Lurker Films) for the same reason...

BTW, am I the only one here who enjoyed 'Sky Captain: In the World of Tomorrow'... not a great Jude Law or Gwyneth Patrow fan, but if Welles had managed to do SciFi, you get the feeling it may well have looked a lot like SC:ITWoT'...lots of long vertical tracking and montage scenes that are very redolent of Citizen Kane... I can forgive some short comings for real respect for the source materials...

Hondo

One Too Many
Harley Quinn said:
BTW, am I the only one here who enjoyed 'Sky Captain: In the World of Tomorrow'... not a great Jude Law or Gwyneth Patrow fan, but if Welles had managed to do SciFi, you get the feeling it may well have looked a lot like SC:ITWoT'...lots of long vertical tracking and montage scenes that are very redolent of Citizen Kane... I can forgive some short comings for real respect for the source materials...

Oh I enjoyed it "Sky Capt." I love art, and that feeling it gave, up until the end, felt they didn't end it close it properly, I wanted more but it just ended, like the old series "To be continued" yet its not to be, I wasn't happy about that :(

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Harley Quinn said:
BTW, am I the only one here who enjoyed 'Sky Captain: In the World of Tomorrow'.

I liked it, and own it, and I watch it often. I even have a full scale replica of the raygun that Dex built.

Sky_Captain_Robot_poster.jpg

wilcoskycapt001b.jpg

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
TessTrueheart said:
Spellbound. I want to be Ingrid Bergman.:)

Me too--or even Isabella Rossellini would be fine by me.

It's a toss up whether my favorite Bergman movie is Casablanca or Notorious. Depends on my mood I think.

Jovan

Suspended
Not the only one either, Stovall. I thought it was a lot of fun, but like the movies it's based on, makes very little sense when you start thinking about it. lol The difference between this movie and Revenge of the Sith is that they had a clear plan of how they were going to use CGI, instead of using it as a crutch.

Hondo

One Too Many
Elizabeth-The Golden Age, I love Cate Blanchett, she was good especially in The Aviator as Katharine Hepburn, but I thought the first one, "Elizabeth" was far better, Golden Age is not bad, all well done, just a continuing story.

Caledonia

Practically Family
I agree. Elizabeth was the better. Golden Age was just a continuation, good but nothing new. Last one watched was Atonement followed by American Gangster followed by The Invasion. Atonement - great costuming, decent performances, overall plodding. AG - Crow oscar worthy (and deserves it before this), overall not as great as made out, a little slow. The Invasion - should have been at least as good as its 50s original, but sadly not. Kidman does well, Craig is mundane, overall just not gripping enough. Going for Rendition in a few minutes. Will get back to you.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
imoldfashioned said:
Me too--or even Isabella Rossellini would be fine by me.
It's a toss up whether my favorite Bergman movie is Casablanca or Notorious. Depends on my mood I think.
If you liked those two flicks, PLEASE checkout "Algiers" with Charles Boyer and the magnificent Hedy Lamarr. And checkout the French original, too, "Pepe le Moku".

Did anyone catch "Trader Horn" on TCM last night? It's about as politically incorrect as you can get, but it's phenomenal example of a very early talky (1931).
The producers spent six months in Africa getting the kind of footage we're very used to now, but was groundbreaking then. They kept some footage of a young boy actually being killed by a rhino. They filmed some extra footage in Mexico, where animal protection laws were not so strict, and they nearly killed half the cast with tropical diseases.
But they made one heck of a movie. Harry Carey gives a wonderful performance, and for you Cisco Kid fans, there is a VERY young Duncan Renaldo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo