Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

zaika

One Too Many
didn't get a chance to watch "Sunset Boulevard"...but last night I did turn on "The Aviator" for about an hour. fascinating!

i really liked gwen stefani's look as jean harlow.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I'm watching "Tom Horn" with Steve McQueen. It was his next to last film before he passed away. Great action along with a good (and true) story.
I watch this one pretty often.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Watched 'Pan's Labyrinth' (2006) last night. It's a very dark film that takes place during the Spanish Civil War (early 40s) and how a girl deals with it living in a fantasy world. It's not a film for children to watch, though. There's quite a bit of graphic violence. I highly recommend it!

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
Baby Face with Barbara Stanwyck. Both versions, one right after the other. It's amazing the meaning that can be beaten out of a film with the deletion of a few scenes. Censors are a dangerous lot...
Great movie, though.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Gone, Baby Gone. Wow. What a thought-provoker. Ben Affleck did a fantastic job his first time in the director's chair. I read the book but the changed it around.

A great mystery/thriller!

zaika

One Too Many
Lulu-in-Ny said:
Baby Face with Barbara Stanwyck.

Lulu, that is one of my favorite movies!! :)

This weekend the line up consisted of Sunset Boulevard (see my amazing review a few posts up lol), No Man of Her Own (1932, Carole Lombard and Clark Gable), and Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978, Donald Sutherland, Brooke Adams, Leonard Nimoy, Jeff Goldblum).

Edward

Bartender
Spiffy said:
Impromptu Tivo Double Feature:
All About Eve and Rock and Roll High School.

Well, I don't care about history.... ;)

Yesterday I watched a few things on my laptop while on a long train journey from glasgow to London. This included three films on DVD - Day of the Dead II: Contagion, Sex Pistols: The Filth and the Fury, and The Warriors. None of them Golden Age at all, though the latter two had a fair sense of a later period, the 70s. The Warriors was especially interesting to reappraise thinking about issues of identity as expressed through clothing, this place very much in mind. lol Great film, worth checking out. F&F is to my mind the ultimate documentary on the Pistols - nice to see Julien Temple atoning for his earlier sin of promoting the Maclaren AV via The Great Rock and Roll Swindle. The remaining film was a fairly schlocky, zombie-themed B Movie. Which is always great. :)

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
zaika said:
This weekend the line up consisted of Sunset Boulevard (see my amazing review a few posts up lol), No Man of Her Own (1932, Carole Lombard and Clark Gable), and Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978, Donald Sutherland, Brooke Adams, Leonard Nimoy, Jeff Goldblum).

That version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers is a first-rate variation on the original. Abel Ferrara's Body Snatchers from a few years back is interesting, too. I haven't seen the new version, The Invasion with Nicole Kidman, which had a troubled shoot, post-production, and release (and got tepid reviews).

There is certain to be another version in 10 or 15 years -- the property is now a proven perennial.

Feraud

Bartender
Into the Wild.
Overrated. The plot is a bratty rich kid runs away to the Alaskan wilds to die of starvation. I should mention the film shows his.."experiences" along the way. Somehow this is supposed to justify his immature reaction to a bad family life.
The film reminded me of how Timothy Treadwell chose to face his problems.

I am considering read the book this film was based on. I enjoyed Krakauer's book Into Thin Air.

zaika

One Too Many
Patrick Murtha said:
That version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers is a first-rate variation on the original. Abel Ferrara's Body Snatchers from a few years back is interesting, too. I haven't seen the new version, The Invasion with Nicole Kidman, which had a troubled shoot, post-production, and release (and got tepid reviews).

There is certain to be another version in 10 or 15 years -- the property is now a proven perennial.

i thought it was fantastic. it creeped me out in a very subtle and quiet way...and that stayed with me through the next day. when a film does that, then i know it's good. the ending was fantastic. :eek:
i haven't seen any other version, but i suspect that kidman's version will be wrought with over the top acting and snazzy CGI? lol

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Feraud said:
Into the Wild.
Overrated. The plot is a bratty rich kid runs away to the Alaskan wilds to die of starvation. I should mention the film shows his.."experiences" along the way. Somehow this is supposed to justify his immature reaction to a bad family life.

I am considering read the book this film was based on. I enjoyed Krakauer's book Into Thin Air.

I haven't seen the film yet, but I can recommend the book. I feel that Chris McCandless was immature and naive, as you do, but his story is nonetheless fascinating (and well told by Krakauer).

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
zaika said:
i thought it was fantastic. it creeped me out in a very subtle and quiet way...and that stayed with me through the next day. when a film does that, then i know it's good. the ending was fantastic. :eek:
i haven't seen any other version, but i suspect that kidman's version will be wrought with over the top acting and snazzy CGI? lol

Very possibly. The original 1950s version is outstanding -- check it out. And the Ferrara 1990s version, although not as accomplished as the 1970s version, certainly held my interest and has some memorable scenes.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
carebear said:
Eastern Promises

I liked it. Well-cast and acted.

Almost forgot. Nice suits. Viggo wore Armani.

I've been thinking of seeing that one. I've heard it's a real bloodbath though, and I'm a little squeamish.. What would you say?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Feraud said:
Into the Wild.

We ran this last fall, and had tons of weedy college kids show up to gush about how "inspiring" the story was and all. All I wanted to do, meanwhile, was grab him by his collar and slap some sense into him. Upper-middle-class twit.

funneman

Practically Family
Bugsy 1991

This one has been on Comcast On Demand so it's free all month. I've watched it at least a dozen times.

I don't know how period correct it is, but the clothes and the cars are amazing. Lots of colorful blazers and spectators.

The exterior shots of Hollywood look awesome.

Plenty of sparks fly between Warren Beatty and Annette Bening and Bill Graham of Fillmore West fame makes a surprise appearance as a mobster.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0101516/

I've really enjoyed this one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo