Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
Akubra Man said:
I just watched The Assassination Of Jessie James by the coward Robert Ford starring Brad Pitt and Casey Affleck. This movie is a great character study movie and both stars do a great job. It is a slow moving movie but I was completely engrossed in these two characters relationship.

This film presents the story of these characters congruently. However, I do not know how accurate the story is.
Great movie- absolutely not what I was expecting going in, though. I think the pace of it is what gives it its edge. It makes you tense just watching it.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Miss Pettirew Lives For A Day

Marvelous. I agree with Lulu in NY, it isn't particularly deep, but it is fun. Of course now that I've seen the making of feature, I think I need to read the book!!

Corto

A-List Customer
"The Fighting Seabees".
Wow. I really would like to know how that movie was received in the era in which it was made.

The love-triangle thing seems completely hokey and unbelievable to this viewers jaded eyes. Maybe things were more simple back then.

All-in-all, a typical, solid John Wayne flick...

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I watched "The Strangers" on DVD last night. Its almost Halloween so I'm hitting the horror flicks pretty heavy. The movie was very good and created and maintained suspense throughout.

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
I just watched Citizen Kane on TCM's salute to RKO tonight. Fascinating character study. I'd seen it in pieces, but never straight through from the beginning.

Also in this past week:

TCM followed up a documentary on gangster films with a showing of The Public Enemy. I always enjoy a James Cagney movie, and this is considered one of his best, but the pace of the story seemed out of balance. Too much time on Tom Powers, child hoodlum, and too quick an ending to Tom Powers as a journeyman gangster. Still, very enjoyable.

Also, I saw a pre-release screening of Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa. This is a beautiful picture. Like the first, it's an unusual blend of cell-animation style characters with rich, obviously 3D-animation scenery. It refers to Madagascar 1 in places, but doesn't really depend on it to be enjoyed.

Mike1939

One of the Regulars
China Seas (1935) with Clark Gable, Jean Harlow and Wallace Beery. A great adventure film set aboard a ship sailing from Hong Kong to Singapore. Check out Gable's suit in the his opening scene, I'd like something like that for a summer suit myself. Robert Benchley is also aboard for comic relief as the constant drunk oblivious to all but his loyal companion....the bottle.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Today I watched the 1944 movie "The Lodger" with Laird Cregar. Its a part of a boxed set "Fox Horror Classics" I picked up at Barnes & Noble. It was pretty good!
Tonight I have "No Country For Old Men" playing....its become a stand-by when nothing is on cable.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Joie DeVive said:
Miss Pettirew Lives For A Day

Marvelous. I agree with Lulu in NY, it isn't particularly deep, but it is fun. Of course now that I've seen the making of feature, I think I need to read the book!!

I watched this on my flight from Chicago to London. I was so excited when I saw it in the plane's viewing guide! It was a fun romp and I definitely would like to own the DVD. :)

RIOT

Practically Family
I saw two really good movies yesterday during my lazy Sunday afternoon.

The Wind That Shakes the Barley (2006) & Indigenes (Days of Glory) (2006).

Beowulf67

One of the Regulars
Over the weekend I watched "The Man Who Wasn't There" and "Barton Fink" two of the Coen Brothers more serious movies. Both very good character studies, I think, and some great suits and hats to boot!

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Beowulf67 said:
Over the weekend I watched "The Man Who Wasn't There" and "Barton Fink" two of the Coen Brothers more serious movies. Both very good character studies, I think, and some great suits and hats to boot!
Another good "serious" Coen flick is "Blood Simple". Its one of the first (if not the first) big Coen pictures. Its well worth a look!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy