Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Wall-E. After six months of hype and 10-best lists, I was pretty underwhelmed. Since it presented itself as SF rather than fantasy, I had some serious suspension-of-disbelief issues. (Robots designed for specific limited functions developing personalities and feelings; VHS tapes that can be played every day for hundreds of years without breaking; the human spirit degrading to the point of listlessly drifting in hoverchairs...)

Sure, it was cute. The animation was dazzling and expert, as in all Pixar films. And I commend it for being critical of where our consumerist culture is headed (ironically, even while being a huge money-making engine itself!) But it just left me cold. The Incredibles remains my favorite Pixar film by a wide margin, and I like a couple of the others better than this one...

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Bedtime Stories with Adam Sandler. None of the raunchiness that is usually par for the course in his movies. Instead, it was incredibly cute and warm-hearted. Great for families and kids of all ages.

just_me

Practically Family
Bartleby, based on Herman Melville's Bartleby the Scrivner. It was OK, but overall disappointing. I think I'll read the short story.

byronic

One of the Regulars
The Captive Heart

Yet another Christmas DVD! But it is nice to see a lot of Ealing classics making it to disc at long last. This was made in 1947 and stars Michael Redgrave as an escapee from a concentration camp who assumes the identity of a dead British P.O.W. and takes his place in a prisoner of war camp in the hope of furthering his survival. But then there's a snag- the Red Cross notify the dead mans wife in England that her husband is alive and well. She starts writing to the man that she believes to be her husband, and to keep up the pretence he replies. Eventually she realises that the man writing to her is not who he claims to be but she does not give the game away. When the war is over he is repatriated to England and meets the dead mans widow. I had better not say any more about the plot for fear of spoiling it.
I have read somewhere that this is based on events that actually took place, that the story was heard by a woman who was serving in one of the various Nursing Corps on attachment to the Red Cross in the immediate aftermath of WW2. I seem to recollect that the lady in question was either an actress 'doing her bit' and helping to repatriate P.O.Ws, or possibly Michael Redgraves' wife, who was a nurse at the time also serving in Europe & she related the story to him, but my memory is fuzzy, and I could be wrong. I probably read this in one of my mothers 'Film Review' books by Maurice Speed- she has a collection of them spanning the years 46-56, but won't give them to me- she only lets me look!
Either way, it's a great film, very moving, and deserves to be better known.
captive.jpg

JoePreppyPauper

New in Town
Gilda

Classic, classic, classic! Rita Hayworth and Glenn Ford, 1946. This film contains the musical number "Put the Blame on Mame" which made Hayworth a major star. She was astonishingly beautiful and was perfectly cast in this film noir. Glenn Ford was wonderful as usual as the happy-go-lucky American gambler Johnny Farrell.

hayworth_gilda.jpg

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I have just seen the most intriguing film, and I need to ask if anyone else has seen it. It is "Don't Look Now" and it stars Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie. It's from 1973 and the majority of it was filmed in Venice, which is why I rented it.

Still, it is an odd art-film style psychological thriller with some interesting non-linear directing techniques and some huge unanswered questions. Still, the suspense builds increasingly, like acqua alta, and the imagery does tie together, in a flood at the end. On top of this was an overly melodramatic score. This movie haunts you, though, it challenges you, and leaves you reflecting on it for several days after.

So... anyone seen it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183