Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

1*Cool*Kitten

One of the Regulars
The Velvet Touch

While the new year was coming in I was watching "the Velvet Touch" a noir film with Roz Russell on you tube!VERY good!
I watch the old movies for clothing /image tips & ideas! WOW she was showing off a fabulous hat in the beggining of the film! yeikes almighty I think I'm goign to build me a copy! I lov-lov-loved it!

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Watching "Fahrenheit 451" just now, on TCM. Along with the likes of "Soylent Green" and "The Stepford Wives" (the original, not the useless remake), these futuristic films equally entertain and disturb me.

Musashi

One of the Regulars
ThesFlishThngs said:
Watching "Fahrenheit 451" just now, on TCM. Along with the likes of "Soylent Green" and "The Stepford Wives" (the original, not the useless remake), these futuristic films equally entertain and disturb me.

I DVR'ed Fahrenheit 451, likely the same time you were watching it. Somehow i had never managed to see it.

Meanwhile last night, my wife and I went to see the new "Sherlock Holmes",
I was less impressed than i hoped, but in fairness, i also have a head cold right now and slipped out for a few minutes and i think i missed some key plot events. Although,, every Guy Ritchie movie I have ever seen gave me that 'What just happened?' feeling at the end, so maybe my impressions were right. I dont know. :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
ThesFlishThngs said:

I happened across "451" just as I was getting ready for bed last night, and I've never been able to watch it all the way thru. I have a visceral reaction to the destruction of books, and had to rush downstairs to reassure all of mine that they're all safe.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I happen to like Truffaut's Fahrenheit 451 a lot. Admittedly, it's a strange adaptation that doesn't entirely work, and having both a lead actor and director who could barely speak English is a serious problem. The dual casting of Julie Christie is also pretty weird. But it's got some absolutely wonderful images (by cinematographer Nicolas Roeg, soon to be an accomplished director himself) and one of Bernard Herrmann's very best scores. And the sequences of Linda interacting with her TV "friends" now seems uncannily accurate in predicting how media would evolve.

Lizzie, that visceral reaction is entirely appropriate, but it's also necessary for the story to really work. You should try and make it all the way through sometime: there's a very effective sequence at the end where the story, images, and music create a magnificent catharis.

I finally watched Donnie Darko last night. Talk about a weird, disturbing film...

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
District 9.
Ugh. Horrible. One of the worst things I've ever seen.
I get it - it's about racism, but with aliens.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
I happened across "451" just as I was getting ready for bed last night, and I've never been able to watch it all the way thru. I have a visceral reaction to the destruction of books, and had to rush downstairs to reassure all of mine that they're all safe.

I've seen it before, at least once, but it's one of those I tend to stop at any time I encounter it. To say I 'enjoy' isn't quite accurate, but it's so effectively done, on that visceral level you mentioned.
The woman in her beautiful home full of beautiful books and the callousness with which they're both treated - if I see that scene fifty times, it will always take my breath away with horror.

During the film I updated the 'favorite quotes' section on my facebook profile to include this one: "Robinson Crusoe, the Negroes didn't like that because of his man, Friday. And Nietzsche, Neitzsche, the Jews didn't like Nietzsche. Here's a book about lung cancer. You see, all the cigarette smokers got into a panic, so for everybody's peace of mind, we burn it."

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I thought District 9 was excellent, but extremely unpleasant. It's the only time I've ever seen my 16-year-old daughter run out of a theater mid-film, horrified and disgusted.

Utterly brilliant low-budget filmmaking that really has something to say about man's inhumanity - but I can't imagine why anybody would ever want to watch it a second time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy