Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Pity me, everyone; I'm finally having to sit down in front of "Paranormal Activity", to appease the kid. I agreed to do it on the condition that if (when) after thirty minutes I'm not impressed, I can turn it off and go back to "Lolita", or put in my "Gray Gardens" dvd.

So far, *yawn*.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
ThesFlishThngs said:
Pity me, everyone; I'm finally having to sit down in front of "Paranormal Activity", to appease the kid. I agreed to do it on the condition that if (when) after thirty minutes I'm not impressed, I can turn it off and go back to "Lolita", or put in my "Gray Gardens" dvd.

So far, *yawn*.

Did you finish it? If so what's your verdict on "Paranormal Activity"?

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
The day after day, night after night, video footage was boring to me. I sat through more than an hour before my sis-in-law telephoned and kept me talking in the other room for over twenty minutes.
When I returned to the tv, my Mr. said, "it's getting scarier". I guess the girl had become possessed by the entity at that point, 'cos her boyfriend suggested rather vehemently that they should leave, but she oddly insisted it would be best for them to stay in the house.
The grand finale didn't do it for me. It just seemed an obvious attempt at shock ala "The Ring".
My daughter (who's watched it 5 times or so by now[huh] ), insisted it was a real story, so the Mr. did a quick online investigation to set her straight.
I don't know what site he found, but he read out something along the lines of this: "target audience middle class suburban white teenagers with the widest brains-to-money ratio...." lol

djhatman

One of the Regulars
I saw Sherlock Holmes today. All I can say is that I'm happy I used a gift card and did not spend my own money.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
djhatman said:
I saw Sherlock Holmes today. All I can say is that I'm happy I used a gift card and did not spend my own money.

Not to rain on the parade...but you still wasted an asset, so to speak. If you'd received cash instead of the card and spent it on the movie, wouldn't it have been as big a waste as any other cash you had in your pocket?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
After spending the whole day shoveling snow, I retired with "Gold Diggers of 1937," which manages to epitomize everything that is both good and bad about mid-thirties, post-Code Warner Bros. musicals. The good included Dick Powell, Joan Blondell, Glenda Farrell and Victor Moore, a reasonably-snappy script, and some excellent songs by Warren and Dubin and Harburg and Arlen. The bad, alas, included Busby Berkeley's halfheartedness -- there was only one really impressive production number, and even that was derivative of past work. The *small* production numbers, in fact, were better than the big ones, especially Powell and Blondell's staging of "Speaking Of The Weather."

But the baddest of the bad has to be Dick Powell's cheesy pencil moustache, which looked like he ordered it from an ad in the back of a comic book. Bad, bad, bad.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Up in the Air

What a treat to see a real honest to goodness well done character study.
I gotta say, this movie reaffirmed my faith in George Clooney's acting abilities. Ive often thought he was a one trick pony, always playing a cocky unreachable sort of character, but here he shows real depth, especially interacting with his sisters.

I par this film with The Weather Man, which I like a lot. Its more comedic than this one, but both are about the characters themselves, not about their end goals.

LD

Edward

Bartender
The Simpsons Movie - simply because it happened to be on, and happened to be the best option when I felt like an unthinking evening's entertainment the night before going back to work. It was actually spurprisngly good, even funny in a way which I haven't found the show itself for some years (still plenty clever, just not actually funny).

LordJohnRoxton

One of the Regulars
While it might not be a feature film per se, I watched the first season of A&E's "A Nero Wolfe Mystery".... brilliant! I could go on and on about it all... the costumes, the acting, the way they use a set company for all the roles like the old radio serials... I just ordered season two!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
MisterCairo said:
A Fist Full of Dollars.
Continuing on that theme, If I Had A Million, the 1932 Paramount all-star "episodic" consisting of several vignettes about people who get a $1,000,000 check from a dying industrialist. Notable are Gary Cooper and Jack Oakie as the the world's least believable Marines, and W.C. Fields as, well, W.C. Fields - plus car crashes! (Fields really seemed to like car crashes.)

Turner's print apparently is missing 2 of the vignettes from the original release, which were commonly cut for TV broadcast. Not everything that was acceptable to 1932 audiences could be shown later in the 30s, and most definitely not on the tube.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran