Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Worf, agreed on Patrick Stewart's voice - if you get a chance, check out his TV version of "A Christmas Carol" - he absolutely nails the role and the overall production is very good. Oh, and I think my girlfriend would leave me for his voice alone.

I enjoyed your STTNG breakdown and all are interesting points (but Deana Trio will always be the embodiment of nails on a chalk board to me - as an "empath," I'm sure she could feel my annoyance through the TV).

As you were going through the different Star Trek races, it reminded me of the scariest species of them all, Species 8472. I haven't seen Voyager in easily a decade, so my memory is probably a bit creaky, but they were beyond scary, so much so that the unflappable Borg - the Borg of "Resistance is Futile," the Borg of metronomic vigilance, of insatiable assimilation - turned tail and ran like scared little children at the sight of Species 8472. Voyager was for me what STTNG should have been. And Janway was a kick-serious-butt-when-need-be Starfleet Captain.

To this day, my girlfriend and I joke about how freakin' scary Species 8472 was and we (just talked about it now) remember turning to each other with a "WTF was that" expression on our faces when we saw them (amorphously giant bug-like creatures) for the the first time.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Worf, agreed on Patrick Stewart's voice - if you get a chance, check out his TV version of "A Christmas Carol" - he absolutely nails the role and the overall production is very good.

Uh oh, another Stewart Christmas Carol Fan. :D
Worf, I second this. Stewart's portrayal of Scrooge is without question the finest on film today.
Done in 1999 for TNT, the production was top notch. My only beef is that it took awhile to get the thing on DVD! In fact, a friend of mine in Gosport England was going to send me the one she got in her Christmas paper, but I didn't have a Region 2 player. DVD's a plenty over in her country and for years I couldn't get one here, other than to save it on my DVR.
Worf, see his version once, if you haven't, and it will be on your viewing list each year, even if you aren't into Christmas movies.

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Uh oh, another Stewart Christmas Carol Fan. :D
Worf, I second this. Stewart's portrayal of Scrooge is without question the finest on film today.
Done in 1999 for TNT, the production was top notch. My only beef is that it took awhile to get the thing on DVD! In fact, a friend of mine in Gosport England was going to send me the one she got in her Christmas paper, but I didn't have a Region 2 player. DVD's a plenty over in her country and for years I couldn't get one here, other than to save it on my DVR.
Worf, see his version once, if you haven't, and it will be on your viewing list each year, even if you aren't into Christmas movies.

Hmmm never seen his version of Scrooge. He'd have to go a fair piece to beat Alistair Sims' version though. I'll look for it. Thanks!

Worf

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Hmmm never seen his version of Scrooge. He'd have to go a fair piece to beat Alistair Sims' version though. I'll look for it. Thanks!

Worf

I like the 1938 and 1951 versions, before I saw the one Stewart did.
Now I like all 3, it's that seamless IMHO.

Tuned into that Bonnie and Clyde special I've seen advertised all over the television.
We have a bit of a running commentary going on in this thread. So far it's not quite as bad as I thought it was going to be, but it's at least as much fiction as fact.

Before it started I watched the two hour premiere of Frank Darabont's Mob City. Not bad, but I want to watch a few more episodes before I decide whether or not to add it to my current roster of "must see" television shows.

Last edited:

vintageTink

One Too Many
Just watched the one(s) about the little kid with the gas mask.
Pretty cool.
Now I'm gonna look at Svengoolie. The Mummy's Ghost tonight.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2
Are you my mummy?
My first Who episode.

Worf

I third the Stewart version.
There is a musical version with Albert Finney. It's not too bad!

I didn't like Enterprise that much. ST:TNG I like, but third season and later.
DS9 wasn't too bad, Voyager was decent.

Tuned into that Bonnie and Clyde special I've seen advertised all over the television.
Tonight we watched Nestor the Christmas Donkey. The narrator sounded familiar...Roger Miller from Hee Haw!

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I agree that many find DS9 "divisive" but I'm firmly in the former camp. I fell in love with many of the characters immediately. The father son dynamic of Sisko and his son Jake, with the son being EVERYTHING "Weasley" Crusher was not. The Bajoran's trying to piece their world together after 60 plus years of occupation, rape and murder. The fleshing out of the Ferengi and the Klingons as well as the symbiotic Trills and "Spoonhead" Cardassians, lent texture to the entire Star Trek Omniverse. And lastly the entire Founder vs. Alpha Quadrant war was just flat out masterful. In other Trek series you hear of past "interstellar wars" but never see them or their effect on the Federation. I for one never fully bought the whole "peaceful exploration of space" tripe. It ain't in us. While we might not have taken to the stars to conquer we damn sure didn't go into space to get slapped around either. Prime directive yeah... then why are their phasor's and photon torpedo's on the damn ships? As for "moral ambiguity" all life is moral ambiguity... shades of grey... None of this ever seemed to enter in to Rodenberry's world except around the edges... in DS9 you see hard choices every day and during the war people died... the things went wrong and sometimes prayers went... unanswered. That to me is life... DS9 was life but not in some moral utopia where humans suddenly no longer desire wealth, power or status or somehow gave up the will to fight back, but in a real world where one's ideals are challenged daily and the struggle is always in doubt.

Worf

And don't forget, thanks to DS9, we found out once and for all, what really happened July 1947 at Roswell, New Mexico!

I tried to watch both the shows you mentioned. Unfortunately, they're both on very late and I fell asleep!

We have a bit of a running commentary going on in this thread. So far it's not quite as bad as I thought it was going to be, but it's at least as much fiction as fact.

Before it started I watched the two hour premiere of Frank Darabont's Mob City. Not bad, but I want to watch a few more episodes before I decide whether or not to add it to my current roster of "must see" television shows.

Did he use a lot of gibberish? He did that in a good half of his songs lol

Tonight we watched Nestor the Christmas Donkey. The narrator sounded familiar...Roger Miller from Hee Haw!

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab

I'm sorry.

Have this on my DVR. Haven't started it yet. I'm mainly excited about many of the actors in it. Should be fun seeing them together. Not sure I can buy Neal McDonough(sp?) as a cop. :p

vintageTink

One Too Many
Did he use a lot of gibberish? He did that in a good half of his songs lol
Not this time.
I guess they made him stick to the script. :D

I tried to watch Nestor, but it was just too depressing, given this time of year. :D
:rofl:

Didn't Nestor have really long ears or something?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2
Yes, he did. They whispered as they mocked him, but he heard every sound. :D
Last night was also Rudoph's Shiny New Year with Red Skelton. So terrible it's addictive.

We like watching most of the Rankin Bass specials. You can always tell a character is mad when the soundtrack goes, "Bum bum buuuuuuuummmm", the character rolls his eyes to the top of his sockets, shakes his head like he's seizing, and shakes his fist.

Not this time.
I guess they made him stick to the script. :D

:rofl:

Yes, he did. They whispered as they mocked him, but he heard every sound. :D
Last night was also Rudoph's Shiny New Year with Red Skelton. So terrible it's addictive.

We like watching most of the Rankin Bass specials. You can always tell a character is mad when the soundtrack goes, "Bum bum buuuuuuuummmm", the character rolls his eyes to the top of his sockets, shakes his head like he's seizing, and shakes his fist.

Ah yes, those:
http://youtu.be/hGRkNaMFp6w
The big ham. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou