Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

What amazed me, when that first came out years ago, is where all this color film came from. For the past four or five decades, WWII was in black and white and, then, BAM, like when Dorothy lands in OZ, everything was in color. What, did they find a cache of color film somewhere? It didn't happen gradually over time, it was like it happened all at once.
I hate to ruin the illusion of television for you, but some of the footage used in this series has been colorized.

Edward

Bartender
We're watching the final season of Sons of Anarchy on Netflix. I lost interest after the writers killed of Clay (Ron Perlman). I never liked the momma's boy Jax. His character is as interesting as a plank of wood.

I've only seen a few its and pieces of that show, but it could be the Next Big Boxset for us... We're up to date on Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead, and well into the penultimate season of Breaking Bad, so we're now looking into something else. A Netflix subscription may well be on the cards.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
I've only seen a few its and pieces of that show, but it could be the Next Big Boxset for us... We're up to date on Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead, and well into the penultimate season of Breaking Bad, so we're now looking into something else. A Netflix subscription may well be on the cards.
Save your time. It quite possibly could be the stupidest show ever aired for longer than a single season. But there's a lot on Netflix to see, so that wouldn't be a wasted investment.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Some crazy show on TLC about a family of "little people". Their bodies weren't the only thing that was small as I watched Dad and mom trying to fell a dead/dying tree in the front yard cause they were too cheap to call professionals. Dad had NO safety gear, did NOT limb or top the tree to reduce weight or help with guidance during felling. Nope he just cut a nice big notch out the tree, hooked it up to the front of his pick up (not sufficiently large enough to do the job) and told puddin' to let er rip in reverse. The tree wouldn't budge (at least not in the direction Dad had planned) and puddin' put so much stress on the vehicle that the transfer case caught fire. Imagine the surreal scene of 6 little children screaming at their mom to get out of the truck as it was just about engulfed in flames. They got her out... the truck was totaled and of course... in the end, they had to call the tree service ANYWAY! Idiots come in ALL sizes.

Worf

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
"The Clown," (1953) with Red Skelton, Jane Greer and Tim Considine. A bit mawkish in parts, and obviously a remake of "The Champ," the Wallace Beery/ Jackie Coogan feature of about 20 years prior... but Skelton has some great physical comedy gags in it.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Here's one I recently found. Supposedly was in color originally, not sure.

[video=youtube;k1sNxhbyH5s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1sNxhbyH5s[/video]

That one was filmed in color! Interesting, most of the color film during WWII was shot in the Pacific.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The Big Bang Theory & Rehab Addict. Nicole finally finished the big house! Remodeled the nice two car brick garage, with imitation Carriage House Doors, looked good. She put her 52 Chevy truck in it, four on the floor, I have a lot of respect for her.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up

See some episodes and you may be surprised. Unlike a certain broken record in the Lounge, you may just decide for yourself if it's to your taste or not.

DNO

One Too Many

MisterCairo is right...judge it for yourself.

If you're still casting about, may I suggest "The Wire"? Five seasons of the finest television I've ever seen...and I've seen a lot over the years. Heck, I still remember Clint Eastwood as Rowdy Yates in Rawhide!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Game of Thrones" - Something to think on, I've not read the books., I don't think I've enough years left to finish em... But something struck me from the opening episode and I want to try it out on your astute folks. Remember when the "Red Witch" asked Jon Snow if he was a virgin and he said no? She then turned away and said "good". Why because if he'd a said yes she'd a put him on the sacrificial love bed. Why? Because....

Wait for it.....

He's not Ned Stark's son but Robert Baratheons... Yes he's the kings first and oldest ba***rd. Robert felt different about this one (for some reason... he left the others to rot) and asked his buddy Ned to take him home, raise em up right and save him the scandal. He swore Ned to silence (of course) and Ned, being honorable old Ned, kept his word till his head went flop in the basket. This would explain a great many things. Like in season one when Jon was headed to the wall and Ned was headed south, he told Jon that one day he'd explain his heritage, but never got the chance. It also explains why Stennis likes the kid so much.... though he doesn't know why. What do you folks think.

Worf

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Interesting theory, Worf. I haven't read the books either, but I've heard from my kids who have that the prevailing theory among fans is:

Jon Snow is actually the son of Ned's sister Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen (elder brother of Daenerys and her golden-crowned brother, who was crown prince under the Mad King). Lyanna was Robert's promised wife, but Rhaegar absconded with her, prompting Robert's Rebellion and the ultimate fall of the Targaryens to Robert. Ned came back from that war to Winterfell with baby Jon and claimed him as his own... but it was a likely a deathbed promise to his sister that he'd keep her secret. If this is true, Jon is another Targaryen claimant to the Iron Throne - and a Stark as well, representing a significant alliance of two powerful dynasties.

(My apologies to more serious fans of the books if I got any of this backstory wrong!)

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Interesting theory, Worf. I haven't read the books either, but I've heard from my kids who have that the prevailing theory among fans is:

Jon Snow is actually the son of Ned's sister Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen (elder brother of Daenerys and her golden-crowned brother, who was crown prince under the Mad King). Lyanna was Robert's promised wife, but Rhaegar absconded with her, prompting Robert's Rebellion and the ultimate fall of the Targaryens to Robert. Ned came back from that war to Winterfell with baby Jon and claimed him as his own... but it was a likely a deathbed promise to his sister that he'd keep her secret. If this is true, Jon is another Targaryen claimant to the Iron Throne - and a Stark as well, representing a significant alliance of two powerful dynasties.

(My apologies to more serious fans of the books if I got any of this backstory wrong!)

Okay but the Targaryen blood is strong, there's not a HINT of blond in Jon or brown which the Starks are. Only black hair and that smells of Barratheon to me. But hey, you could be right. But caring for a child of rape... ehhh who's family you helped destroy? Hmmm.... could be.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters